Boundary Changes 1889-92 : Morayshire
8.—COUNTY OF ELGIN (MORAY).
The county of Elgin contained three detached parts of the county of Nairn. Two of them were at the same time detached parts of the parish of Ardclach, while the third was part of the parish of Dyke & Moy. One parish (Cromdale) was situated partly in the county of Elgin and partly in the county of Inverness, and five parishes (Bellie, Boharm, Inveravon, Keith, and Rothes) were situated partly in the county of Elgin and partly in the county of Banff. Prior to the passing of the Local Government (Scotland) Act, 1889, parts of the parishes of Bellie, Boharm, Keith, and Inveravon, situated in the county of Elgin, were by a Local Act of Parliament included in the county of Banff for the administration of the law relating to highways. The arrangements made by the Boundaries Commissioners have the result of placing each of the parishes in one county for all county purposes. (See Local (Government (Scotland) Act, 18S9, sect. 41.) The county boundaries have been dealt with as follows :—
A. With the County of Banff.
The parish of Bellie was situated part in the county of Banff and partly in the county of Elgin. By the Order printed at p. 21 the parish was placed wholly and for all purposes in the county of Elgin.
The following subjects (while remaining in the parish of Bellie) have thus been transferred from the county of Banff to the county of Elgin :-
|Gordon Castle||Offices, home farm woods, &c.,||Duke of Richmond and Gordon|
|Salmon fishings, Auchinhalrig,||Farm, houses, crofts, and land,||Do.|
|Bogmoor,||Houses, crofts and land,||Do.|
|Burnside,||Cottages and farm,||Do.|
|Carsemoor,||Houses and farm,||Do.|
|Culriach||Houses, crofts and mill,||Duke of Richmond and Gordon.|
|Nether Dallachy,||Farm, houses, crofts and land,||Do.|
|Upper Dallachy,||Farm, smithy, houses, crofts and land,||Do.|
|Newlands,||Croft and houses,||Do.|
|Ryeriggs,||Farm, crofts, houses, and and,||Do.|
|Tugnet,||Crofts, houses, land, and bathing cottage,||Do.|
|Tulloch Moss,||Crofts, houses, and land,||Do.|
|Tynet,||Mills, house, and croft,||Do.|
|Blair of Tynet,||Croft and houses,||Do.|
|Lower Mill of Tynet,||Farm (part),||Do.|
|Wellheads,||Houses and farm,||Do.|
|Part of Highland Railway (Keith and Buckie) line (49 chains) south of Park of Raffin,||Highland railway Co.|
|Part of the Great North of Scotland Railway (Buckie Extension) line (2 miles 12 chains) near the sea coast,||Great North of Scotland Railway Company.|
(Sheet 85 of the Ordnance Survey maps of Scotland, one-inch scale.)
2, 3, and 4.—Boharm, Inveravon and Keith
These parishes were situated partly in the county of Banff and partly in the county of Elgin. By the Order printed at p. 21 they were placed wholly and for all purposes in the county of Banff. The subjects this transferred from the county of Elgin are detailed below, County of Banff (p. 162 et seq.)
The parish of Rothes was situated partly in the county of Banff and partiy in the county of Elgin. By the Order printed at p.21 the parish was placed wholly in the county of Elgin. The following subjects have thus been transferred from the county of Banff to the county of Elgin :—
|Estate of Arndilly-
|Lodge and moor,||Mrs. M A Kinloch Grant of Arndilly.|
|Boat of Aikenway,||Croft,||Do.|
|Upper Aikenway and Brockholes,||Do.||Do.|
(Sheet 85 of the Ordnance Survey maps of Scotland, one-inch scale.)
B. With the County of Inverness.
The parish of Cromdale was situated partly in the county of Elgin and partly in the county of Inverness. No change has been made on the county boundary, but the Inverness-shire part of the parish has been transferred to the Inverness-shire parish of Duthil & Rothiemurchus. See Inverness, Cromdale, &c., supra, p. 147.
C. With the county of Nairn.
The parish of Ardclach had two detached parts which were at the same time detached parts of the county of Nairn (Nairnshire detached Nos. 2 and 3), They were surrounded by the Ëlginshire parish of Edinkillie. By the Order printed at p. 21 the two detached parts were transferred to the county of Elgin and the parish of Edinkillie. The following subjects have thus been transferred from the county of Nairn to the county of Elgin (and at the same time from the parish of Ardclach to the parish of Edinkillie) :—
|Estate of Altyre-
Upper and Lower Berryburn,
|Farm,||Sir William G G Cumming, Bart.|
|Lurg and Craigroy,||Do.||Do.|
|Estate of Dunphail- Glenarairney,||Farm,||Lady Thurlow,|
|March of Glenairney,
|Woodside and March of Glenairney,||Do.||Do.|
(Sheets 84 and 85 of the Ordnance Survey maps of Scotland, one-inch scale.)
2.—Dyke & Moy.
Part of the parish of Dyke & Moy, situated on the east of the River Findhorn at Moy Carse, formed part of the county øf Nairn, being a detached part of the county. By the Order printed at p. 20 this detached part (while remaining in the parish of Dyke & Moy) was transferred to the county of Elgin. The following subjects have thus been transferred from the county of Nairn to the county of Elgin :-
|Moy Carse.||Farm,||Ian Robert James Murray Grant of Moy.|
|Salmon fishings, Moy Carse,||Farm,||Robert Mackessack of Ardgye.|
|Do.||House with gardens,||Do.|
(Sheet 94 of the Ordnance Survey maps of Scotland, one-inch scale.)
The parish of Cromdale has been diminished in area by the disjunction of the part of the parish formerly in Inverness-shire.
For the subjects thus transferred, see County of Inverness, Cromdale, &c, p. 147.
By the Order printed at p. 21 the parish of Edinkillie has been increased in area by the addition of the two detached parts of the parish of Ardclach.
For the subjects thus transferred, see Ardclach, supra, p. 157.
1. The counties are arranged in the order as in the Census returns, "such that a zig-zag line beginning at the north of Scotland and carried to the south passes successively through every County". The counties have the same numbers as in the Census returns.
2. The subjects transferred are enumerated under the head of the County or Parish to which they are transferred. Thus when an area has been transferred from County A to County B, the subjects affected are enumerated under County B, and a cross reference is given under County A.
3. The names of subjects are those contained in the Valuation Rolls. In the description of subjects the term "farm" includes the farm-house and servants' houses, and the term "croft" includes the house. But where any of the servants' houses on the farm have distinctive names, such houses are detailed separately. "House" includes "cottage", and "land" includes gardens, yards &c.
4. The names of proprietors are in almost all cases those given in The Valuation Rolls of 1890-91. It is therefore to be borne in mind that those who are described as proprietors may be limited owners only, such as liferenters or leaseholders.
5. Where villages or towns are affected, the names of the subjects and proprietors are not usually given. The description of the area transferred is in such cases quite sufficient to show whatever and to what extent any subject in the village or town has been affected by the Order.
6. The Ordnance Survey maps referred to are those published by the Ordnance Survey Department on the scale of one inch to the mile. Those published down to this date (1891), show the Counties and Parishes as they were before the Order of the Commissioners came into operation. It is expected that, when the work of the Commissioners is completed, revised maps will be issued to show the altered boundaries, but the sheets of the revised maps will bear the same numbers as the present maps. The Orders and the explanations can be followed readily on the maps as published at present.
7. An ampersand (&) has been used wherever a County or a Parish has a double name, e.g. "Ross & Cromarty" or "Fetlar & North Yell".
8. In most cases it is necessary to read the text of the order along with the explanation, because the full descriptions contained in the Orders are, as a rule, not repeated in the explanation.