Boundary Changes 1889-92 : Shetland



1.—COUNTY OF ZETLAND. (now Shetland.)

No change.


The parish of Fetlar  &  North Yell was a combined parish, formed 
by the union of the two ancient parishes of Fetlar and North Yell,
 which were separated from each other by the sea. The former consisted of the island of Fetlar, with surrounding islets, and the latter 
consisted of the most northerly of the three parts into which the
 island of Yell was anciently divided for ecclesiastical purposes. By 
the Order printed at p. 3 the ancient parish of North Yell was disjoined from the parish of Fetlar & North Yell, and annexed to the parish of Mid  & South Yell. Under this arrangement and with an 
accompanying simplification in nomenclature, the island of Fetlar, with dependent islands, becomes the parish of Fetlar, and the island
 of Yell, with dependent islands, becomes the perish of Yell.

As these reconstructed parishes possess clearly defined natural 
boundaries, it is unnecessary to specify the lands individually affected.
 It is sufficient to enumerate the islands which are now included within
 the parish of Fetlar and the parish of Yell respectively.

The parish of Fetlar consists of the following islands :—(1.) Fetlar,
 10,133.6 acres; (2.) Urie Lingey, 55.0 acres; and (3.) Daaey, 23.3 acres.

The parish of Yell consists of the following islands:—(1.) Yell,
 52,923.2 acres; (2.) Gloup Holm, 30.4 acres; (3.) Linga, 122.2
acres; (4.) Hascosay, 750.5 acres; (5.) Uynarey, 71 acres; (6.)
 Orfasay, 37.9 acres; and also three small islands, 15.6 acres. The 
island of Bigga, 235.8 acres, belongs in common to the parishes of
 Yell and Delting.

{Sheets 130 and 131 of the Ordnance Surrey maps of Scotland, one-inch scale.)


The parish of Bressay Burra & Quarff was a combined parish consisting of the three ancient parishes of Bressay, Burra, and Quarff. 
The ancient parish of Bressay consisted of the island of Bressay, with, surrounding islets situated on the east side of the mainland.

The ancient parish of Quarff was situated on the mainland, being bounded on the north by the parish of Tingwall, on the north east by the parish of Gulberwick, and on the south by the parish of Cunningsburgh. The ancient parish of Burra consisted of islands contiguous to Quarff and Cunningsburgh on the west side of the mainland. Thus Quarff and Burra were separated from Brassay not only by the sea, but also by the parish of Lerwick & Gulberwick. By the Order, printed at p. 3, the ancient parishes of Quarff and Burra were disjoined from the parish of Bressay Burra & Quarff, and annexed to the parish of Lerwick & Gulberwick. In this case also it seemed desirable to simplify the names of the reconstructed parishes, and accordingly they are to be known respectively as the parish of Bressay and the parish of Lerwick.

Here, again, it is unnecessary to specify individually the lands 
affected, since the boundaries of the parishes, thus altered in area, follow
 lines which are either natural, or well known and defined. The Ordnance Survey maps of Shetland show the boundaries of the ancient
 parishes. A brief description will therefore suffice.

The parish of Bressay consists of the following islands:—(1.)
 Bressay, 6918.8 acres; (2.) Isle of Noss, 762.3 acres; (3.) Inner and Outer Score, 36.9 acres; and four small islands, 22.8 acres.

The parish of Lerwick consists of the following districts:—(1.) 
The ancient parish of Lerwick (entirely mainland), 3158.8 acres; (2.)
 the ancient parish of Gulberwick (entirely mainland), 2793.8 acres;
 (3.) the ancient parish of Quarff (entirely mainland), 2098.5 acres ;
and (4.) the ancient parish of Burra (insular), consisting of the following islands :—(a) Papa, 148.4 acres ; (b) West Havra, 1781.5 acres;
 (c) East Havra, 1242.4 acres ; (d) Houss Ness, 32 acres; (e) South
 Havra, 147.9 acres; (f) Little Havra, 29.4 acres; and six small
 islands, 16.1 acres.

(Sheets 126 and 128 of the Ordnance Survey maps of Scotland, one-inch scale.)