Hide

Boundary Changes 1889-92 : West Lothian

hide
Hide

Transcription

24.—COUNTY OF LINLITHGOW. (now West Lothian)

I.—COUNTY BOUNDARIES.

There were two parishes situated partly in in county of Linlithgow and partly in another county (the county of Edinburgh), viz.,
 Cramond and Kirkliston.
Th« following changes have been effected on county boundaries : —

A. With the County of Edinburgh.

1.—CRAMOND

The parish of Cramond was partly in Linlithgow and partly in the county of Edinburgh, the River Almond, which flowed through the parish, following ihe county boundary. By
 Order printed at p. 102 the River Almond was preserved as the
 county boundary, and the Linlithgowshire part of Cramond parish 
was transferred to Dalmeny parish. As, however, a small part of the
 parish of Dalmeny and county of Linlithgow was still left on the
 Edinburgh side of the Almond, Clause II. of the Order transferred 
this area to the parish of Cramond and to the county of Edinburgh. The River Almond is thus made the county and parish boundary
 from the point at which it leaves the parish of Kirkliston till it enters the sea.

For details as to the subjects which, while remaining in Linlithgowshire, have been transferred from the parish of Cramond to the parish of Dalmeny, see Dalmeny, infra, p. 305.

The following subjects have been transferred from the parish of Cramond to the
 parish of Dalmeny, see Dalmeny, infra, p. 305.

The following subject have been transferred from the county of
 Linlithgow to the county of Edinburgh (and at the same time from the parish of Dalmeny to the parish of Cramond) :—

PLACE DESCRIPTION PROPRIETOR
Turnhouse, Farm (part), J C Hope Vere of Craigiehall.

(Sheet 32 of the Ordnance Survey maps of Scotland, one-inch scale.)

2.—KIRKLISTON

The parish of Kirkliston was situated partly in the county of Linlithgow and partly in the county of Edinburgh. The Edinburgh portion consisted a) of a detached part of the parish situated in the centre 
of the county of Edinburgh, and (b) of part of the main portion
 of the parish.
The detached part has been transferred to the parish of Currie
, County of Edinburgh, Currie, infra, p. 312.

A Draft Order was issued on 7th July 1891 transferring the 
Edinburgh Edinburgh portion of Kirkliston to the parish of Ratho, no change being made to the county boundary, but by circular letter issued 12th November 1891; the Commissioners intimated that they would make no final order in this case.

Accordingly the parish of Kirkliston remains partly situated in the county of Edinburgh and
 partly in the county of Linlithgow.

II.—PARISH BOUNDARIES.

1.—Cramond.
See County of Edinburgh, Cramond, p. 311.

2.—Dalmeny.

Tho parish of Dalmeny had one detached part, situated south of 
the parish of Abercorn. By the Order printed at p. 103 this 
detached part has been transferred partly to the parish of Ecclesmachan and partly to the parish of Kirkliston. Dalmeny parish has been further altered in area by the Order printed at p. 102, which
 effects :— (a) the transference to Cramond parish (and to the county 
of Edinburgh) of a small area situated on the right bank of the
 River Almond ; and (b) the transference to Dalmeny parish of the
 Linlithgowshire part of Cramond parish.
The following subjects have thus been transferred :—

(a.) From the parish of Dalmeny to the parish of Ecclesmachan.—See Ecclesmachan, infra.

(b.) From the parish of Dalmeny to the parish of Kirkliston.—See Kirkliston, infra p. 307.

(c.) From the parish of Dalmeny to the parish of Cramond.—See Cramond, supra, see p. 304.

(d.) From the parish of Cramond to the parish of Dalmeny.
 

PLACE DESCRIPTION PROPRIETOR
East Craigie, Farm with Upper and Lower Cottages, Earl of Rosebery.
Do. House, Do.
East Craigie Gate, Cottage, Do.
Cramond Bridge, Houses, stables, and land, Do.
Cobble, Houses, Do.
Dalmeny, Home farm (part), Do.
East Gate, House, Do.
New Burnshot Gate, Do. Do.
Longgreen, Houses, Do.

(Sheet 32 of the Ordnance Survey maps of Scotland, one-inch scale.)

3.—Ecclesmachan.

The parish of Ecclesmachan had one detached part separated from
 the main portion of the parish by part of the parish of Linlithgow.

By the Order printed at the foot of p. 103 the two parts of Ecclesmachan were united by transferring to that parish the intervening
 portion of Linlithgow described in Clause I. of the Order.The description can readily be followed on the one-inch Ordnance map.
The parish of Ecclesmachan receives a further portion of territory by 
the Order printed at the top of p. 103, under which the western portion 
of the detached port of Dalmeny is transferred to Ecclesmachan.
 The description in the latter can cannot be readily followed on the 
one-inch Ordnance maps, but it may be explained that the line dividing the detached part runs from a point in the centre of the
 Craigton Road on the north to a point east of Lampingsdub on the 
south.
The following subjects have thus been transferred :—

(a) from the parish of Dalmeny to the parish of Ecclesmachan.

PLACE DESCRIPTION PROPRIETOR
Auldcathie, Woodlands (part), Earl of Hopetoun.
Hopetoun, Minerals (part), Do.
Lampingsdub, House, Do.
Mounthooly, Houses and land, Do.
Threemiletoun, Land (part of Mounthooly), Do.
Trinlaymire and Lampingsdub, Farm, Do.

(b.) From the parish of Linlithgow to the parish of Ecclesmachan.

PLACE DESCRIPTION PROPRIETOR
Binny, Mansion-house, servants' houses, policies, lands, and woodlands, G M Falconar Stewart of Binny.
Do. Quarry and houses, Do.
Binny Bridge, Houses, byres, and land, Do.
Oatbridge, Farm, Do.
Bankhead, Farm, Heirs of late William Thomson of Craigbinning.
Binny Burn, Land, Do.
West Binny, Farm, Do.
Do. Woodlands, Do.
East Broadlaw, Farm, Earl of Rosebery.
West Broadlaw, Do. Do.
Little Ochiltree, Do. (part), Do.
Hangingside, Farm, Earl of Hopetoun.
Hillend, Do. (part), Do.
Hopetoun, Woodlands (part), Do.
Kirklands, Part of railway to, Young's Paraffin Light and Mineral Oil Co. p. John Fyfe.
Sunnybank, Shop, house, and garden, Peter Black.
West Binny, Reservoir and waterworks, Uphall Local Authority.

(Sheet 32 of the Ordnance Survey maps of Scotland, one-inch scale.)

4.—KIRKLISTON
The parish of Kirkliston had one detached part, which by the Order printed at p. 107 has been transferred to the parish of Currie.
 The parish of Kirkliston has been further altered in area through
 the transference to it of the eastern portion of the detached part of
 Dalmeny by the Order printed at p. 103.
Tho following subjects have thus been transferred :—

(a.) From the parish of Kirkliston to the parish of Currie.—See 
County of Edinburgh, Currie, infra, p. 312.
(b.) From the parish of Dalmeny to the parish of Kirkliston :—

PLACE DESCRIPTION PROPRIETOR
Auldcathie, Farm, Earl of Hopetoun.
Do. Land and woodlands, Do.
Wester Auldcathie, House and land, Do.
Hopetoun, Minerals (part), Do.
Part of the North British Railway line (3 chains)   North British Railway Co.
Do. Union Canal (51 chains) Union Canal, Do.

A Draft Order was issued on 7th July 1891, proposing to transfer
 the Edinburgh part of the parish to the parish of Ratho, but this
 proposal has been abandoned.—See Kirkliston, supra. p. 304.

(Sheet 32 of the Ordnance Survey maps of Scotland, one-inch scale.)

EXPLANATORY NOTES

1. The counties are arranged in the order as in the Census returns, "such that a zig-zag line beginning at the north of Scotland and carried to the south passes successively through every County". The counties have the same numbers as in the Census returns.

2. The subjects transferred are enumerated under the head of the County or Parish to which they are transferred. Thus when an area has been transferred from County A to County B, the subjects affected are enumerated under County B, and a cross reference is given under County A.

3. The names of subjects are those contained in the Valuation Rolls. In the description of subjects the term "farm" includes the farm-house and servants' houses, and the term "croft" includes the house. But where any of the servants' houses on the farm have distinctive names, such houses are detailed separately. "House" includes "cottage", and "land" includes gardens, yards &c.

4. The names of proprietors are in almost all cases those given in The Valuation Rolls of 1890-91. It is therefore to be borne in mind that those who are described as proprietors may be limited owners only, such as liferenters or leaseholders.

5. Where villages or towns are affected, the names of the subjects and proprietors are not usually given. The description of the area transferred is in such cases quite sufficient to show whatever and to what extent any subject in the village or town has been affected by the Order.

6. The Ordnance Survey maps referred to are those published by the Ordnance Survey Department on the scale of one inch to the mile. Those published down to this date (1891), show the Counties and Parishes as they were before the Order of the Commissioners came into operation. It is expected that, when the work of the Commissioners is completed, revised maps will be issued to show the altered boundaries, but the sheets of the revised maps will bear the same numbers as the present maps. The Orders and the explanations can be followed readily on the maps as published at present.

7. An ampersand (&) has been used wherever a County or a Parish has a double name, e.g. "Ross & Cromarty" or "Fetlar & North Yell".

8. In most cases it is necessary to read the text of the order along with the explanation, because the full descriptions contained in the Orders are, as a rule, not repeated in the explanation.