"BODEWRYD, a parochial chapelry in the hundred of Twrcelyn, in the county of Anglesey, North Wales, 4 miles to the S.W. of Amlwch. It was part of the parish of Llaneilian till about the beginning of the present century. The Wynnes are the proprietors of the parish, and had a mansion here, which is now a farmhouse. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Bangor, value £70, in the patronage of Lord Stanley of Alderley. The church, a small building, is dedicated to St. Mary, and has several monuments to the Wynne family." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Edwards, Geraint Wyn. A short history of the churches and neighbourhood of Llanbadrig, Llanfechell, Llanfflewin and Bodewryd. Llanfechell : Y Parchedig Geraint W. Edwards,  46p
The 1851 Census of Bodewryd provided by Joyce Hinde.
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Bodewryd Parochial Chapelry; Statistics; Area 526 acres; Population 16 males, 12 females, total 28
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at Anglesey Record Office.
Bodewryd - on wicipedia (Welsh)
BODEWRYD (BOD-EWRYD), a parish in the hundred of TWRCELYN, county of ANGLESEY, NORTH WALES, 3 miles (W. S.W.) from Amlwch, containing 35 inhabitants. This small parish was formerly comprehended in that of Llaneilian, from which it was detached, and formed into a parish of itself, within the last thirty years. It consists only of two farm-houses, one of them anciently the mansion of the Wynne family, with their respective farms, and has no parochial officers, either ecclesiastical or civil : in levying the county rate it is, with the parish of Gwredog, considered as a fourth division to the three contained in the parish of Amlwch. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Anglesey, and diocese of Bangor, endowed, in 1722, with one hundred and twenty-one acres of land, and a rent-charge of £2, by Dr.Wynne, Chancellor of Hereford, and subsequently with £ 800 royal bounty, and in the patronage of Sir John Thomas Stanley, Bart. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a small ancient edifice, containing some monuments to the Wynnes, proprietors of the parish, and a brass recording the munificence of Dr. Wynne, above noticed, who lies entombed in the church. A parochial school has been founded, and is supported at the expense of Lady Stanley, for the education of female children of this and the adjoining parishes.( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Bodewryd to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Bodewryd has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Plas Bodewryd - on the Anglesey.info site
Details of extant records on the Archives Network Wales site
- Bodewryd Estate Records; [13 cent.]-1864 "The Wynne family were established at Bodewryd by at least the 15th century. An early representative of the family, Gruffudd, married Angharad, daughter of Hwlkin ap Dafydd ap Ifan Wyddel of Bodowyr. The Boderwyd estate descended in the male line until Edward Wynne (d. 1755)............................"
Held at Anglesey Records Office (NRA)
- Bodewryd Parish; - 1813-1991: records
Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Anglesey (under Parishes)
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH399907 (Lat/Lon: 53.388984, -4.408264), Bodewryd which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)