Gazetteers - Llanbadrig
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
- National Gazetteer, 1868
- Lewis 1833
"CEMMAES, a township in the parish of Llanbadrig, hundred of Tal-y-Bolion, in the county of Anglesey, North Wales, 10 miles N.E. of Holyhead. The London and North-Western railway passes within 3 miles of the village, and has a station at Ty-Croes. It is situated on a little creek, opening into a most beautiful bay, about 1 mile across, on the northern side of the isle. It affords a shipping place for the exportation of the serpentine, or Mona marble, called by statuaries "verd antique," quarried in the adjacent parish of Llanvechell. Its entrance into the main sea is guarded on each side by a craggy promontory, the one of gray the other of snow-white marble, smooth as the surface of a mirror, and when illuminated by the sun, its sparkling transparency baffles description. In the interior recesses of the bay a bank of black shale finely contrasts with a lofty, irregular, projecting arch of white marble."
"CLYGYROG, a township in the parish of Llanbadrig, in the hundred of Tal-y-Bolion, in the county of Anglesey, 4 miles N.W. of Llanerchymedd."[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
A Topographical Dictionary of WalesLLANBADRIG (LLAN-BADRIG), a parish in the hundred of TAL Y BOLION, county of ANGLESEY, NORTH WALES, 7 miles (W. N. W.) from Amlwch, containing 1364 inhabitants. This place derives its name from the dedication of its church to St. Patrick, who, being commissioned by Pope Celestine to preach the doctrines of Christianity to the Irish, is said to have been on his way thither detained for some time in Mona, the present Anglesey, and to have founded at this place, in the year 440, the first Christian church which was built in the island. The parish, which is situated on the shore of the Irish sea, is about seven miles in length : it is divided into two unequal parts, called Llanbadrig-Clegyrog and Llanbadrig-Cemmes,which, though distinct for other purposes, are united for the maintenance of their poor. The lands are generally enclosed and in a good state of cultivation, and the soil is productive. The substratum is lime-stone, and the great limestone formation which stretches from Flintshire through the county of Denbigh, and is continued under the bay of Beaumaris, terminates at the Middle Mouse, a small island about a mile from the main land of this parish, called also " Ynys Badrig," from the circumstance of its having been the place from which St. Patrick, on his departure from the island, embarked for Dublin. In this parish is a strong vein of ochre of various colours, and an extraordinarily fine white clay of the Cimolia kind : copper-ore has also been found here, but not in sufficient quantity to encourage adventurers to establish any works. At Cemmes is found blue-veined and white-veined grey marble, and also the hard primitive rock called serpentine. The small creek of Cemmes affords facility for landing coal and other commodities, and is highly advantageous for the shipping of marble and the other mineral produce of the. adjoining parish of Llanvechell. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Anglesey, and diocese of Bangor, rated in the king's books at £7. 8. 1 1/2., endowed with £400 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Crown. The church, dedicated to St. Patrick, is inconveniently situated on the shore, and so near to the sea that, during the prevalence of northerly or north-westerly winds, the waves break over it with such violence as to interrupt, and frequently to prevent, the performance of divine service ; and even the funeral service has been unavoidably deferred for several days during the continuance of those winds, at which time the church is altogether inaccessible. The poor children of Llanbadrig are eligible to the school founded at Llanvechell by Mr. Wynne. Mr. Richard Gwyn, in 1723, bequeathed certain lands for the gratuitous instruction of poor children ; and William Davies, in 1751, bequeathed £60 to the poor of this parish, the interest of which, together with some other small charitable donations and bequests, is annually distributed among them. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor is £364. 17.
Samuel Lewis, 1833
CEMMESCEMMES (CEMMAES), a township in the parish of LLANBADRIG, hundred of TAL Y BOLION, county of ANGLESEY, NoRTH WALES, 5 miles (W. by N.) from Amlwch, containing 937 inhabitants. The parish church, which stands on a cliff near the sea, is situated in this township. Cemmes creek forms a natural harbour, which at a small expense might be rendered much more convenient and useful : it affords a shipping-place for the exportation of the serpentine, or Mona marble, called by statuaries "verd antique," which is quarried in the adjacent parish of Llanvechell, and for landing coal and other commodities of general consumption. This township formerly maintained its own poor ; but it is now united for that purpose with the township of Clygyrog, these two constituting the parish, and being distinct for every other object.
CLYGYROGCLYGYROG (CLEGYROG), a township in the parish of LLANBADRIG, hundred of TAL y BOLION, county of ANGLESEY, NORTH WALES, 6 miles (W. S. W.) from Amlwch, containing 427 inhabitants. This township, the name of which signifies rocky, or stony, as descriptive of the general character of the district, and that of Cemmes constitute the whole of the parish, and were formerly assessed separately for the support of their poor, but are now united for that object, though distinct for every other purpose.
(Copied using the Cd published by Archive Cd Books)