Llanfair-Mathefarn-Eithaf

"LLANFAIR-MATHAFARN-EITHAF, a parochial chapelry in the hundred of Tyndaethwy, county Anglesey, 5 miles from Llanerch-y-med, 7 miles N. W. of Beaumaris, its post town, and the same distance from the Llanfair railway station. It is situated on the N.W. shore of Red Wharfe Bay. It abounds with fine marbles of different varieties, and stone used for corn mills. The village is considerable. The living is a curacy annexed to the rectory of Llanddvvnan, in the diocese of Bangor. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. In the churchyard is a mutilated cross and a modern carnedd, composed of a rude heap of stones, forming a cavern, the mouth of which is closed by a large stone after the ancient Jewish fashion, and is at present the burial-place of the Wynne family. The charities produce about £3 per annum. This was the birth-place' of Goronwy Owen, the linguist and bard." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]

topup

Bibliography

  • Robinson, Jane L . Benllech and its surrounding parish of Llanfair Mathafarn Eithaf. Wrexham : Bridge Books, c1993. 60p
topup

Church History

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP,   1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Llanfair-Mathafarn-Eithaf Parochial Chapelry ; Statistics; Area 1949 acres; Population 394 males, 397 females, total 791

  • Llanfairmathafarneithaf Parish Church (Diocese of Bangor)           Attendance - (average) morning 90, afternoon 150          "I give the general estimated average rather than be a party to have the congregation counted on the Sabbath"              W Williams, Rector
  • Tabernacl, Welsh Calvinistic Methodists          Erected 1834          Attendance - morning 134, afternoon 230 scholars, evening 421             Hugh Thomas, Deacon, Plas Thelwal, nr Pentraeth
  • Llanfair Chapel, Baptist              Erected 1803                 Attendance - morning 60 scholars, afternoon 110, evening 50                   William Jones, Deacon
  • Soar, Independents              Erected 1814             Attendance - morning 67 scholars, afternoon 100, evening 80             William Jones, Deacon
  • Cefniwrch, Calvinistic Methodists        Erected c 1820            Attendance - morning 75, afternoon 38 scholars, evening 80                    Richard Williams, Glanrafon, Llanbedrgoch
  • LLANFAIR MATHAFARN EITHAF -   "A medieval parish church set in a small rectangular churchyard, now extended to the north. The church was heavily restored in 1847-9 when the south porch and north vestry were added......"    coflein
  • Eglwys Andreas Sant. St Andrew's Church, Benllech - on geograph.org.uk
  • Eglwys Gatholig Rufeinig / Roman Catholic Church, Beach Road, Benllech - on geograph.org.uk
  • "The congregation at Seion Welsh Baptist Church was founded in 1782 and the first chapel built in 1803. This was rebuilt in 1813 and enlarged in 1853......."  coflein
  • Capel Tabernacl (CM) -  on geograph.org.uk      and    "Tabernacl Methodist Chapel was built.......in 1820 and modified in 1824. The north wall was rebuilt in 1834 and in 1878 the chapel rebuilt and significantly enlarged ........ present chapel, dated 1878  coflein
  • Welsh Presbyterian Church, Amlwch Rd, Benllech   - on geograph.org.uk     and    "Benllech's [CM] Congregation, or cause, was established in 1900 and the chapel built at that time...."  coflein
  • Capel Libanus (Ind)  -  on geograph.org.uk     and     "..... was built in 1900 ............"        coflein
  • "Hen-Gapel Chapel was converted into a house during the late twentieth century."  SH50188343    coflein
topup
topup

Description and Travel

Llanfair Mathafarn Eithaf  - on wicipedia (Welsh)

You can see pictures of Llanfair-Mathefarn-Eithaf which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

LLANVAIR MATHAVARNEITHAV (LLAN - VAIR-MATHAVARN-EITHAV), a parish in the hundred of TYNDAETHWY, county of ANGLESEY, NORTH WALES, 9 miles (N. W. by W.) from Beaumaris, containing 739 inhabitants. This parish, which is not of very great extent, is situated on the shore of the Irish sea : the greater part is in a good state of cultivation, and the common lands have been recently enclosed and several houses erected on them. Black, grey, and variegated marble are found within its limits, the last of which is of very superior quality, and, from the variety and brilliancy of its colours, and the high degree of polish of which it is susceptible, is in very great estimation, and is sent in considerable quantities to various parts of Great Britain. The quarries being near the coast, the produce is shipped without much difficulty ; and the procuring of the marble affords employment to a considerable number of the inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the rectory of Llanddyvnan, in the archdeaconry of Anglesey, and diocese of Bangor. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. There are places of worship for Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists. The interest, arising from some small charitable benefactions, the principal of which is one-third of the rental of a farm in this parish, let at £75 per annum, is annually distributed among the poor. In a small cottage in this parish the celebrated bard Goronw Owen was born, on the 1st of January, 1722. He obtained in the free school of Bangor the rudiments of an education which he afterwards completed at Jesus' College, Oxford, and was appointed by the Bishop of Bangor curate of his native parish. He afterwards re-moved to Oswestry, and subsequently to Northolt in Middlesex ; but meeting with no preferment in the church adequate to the support of his family, he obtained from the Cymrodorion Society a sum of money, with the assistance of which he emigrated to Williamsburg in Virginia, of which church he was appointed minister, where he died in 1769. His discourses were eminently distinguished for originality and brilliancy of conception, and his acquirements in classical and oriental Iiterature were of no ordinary extent : his " Search after Happiness," and his " Day of Judgment," are said to be unrivalled by any similar production of the last century. A sum of money has been raised by his countrymen for the purpose of erecting a monument to his memory. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £169. 4. ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Llanfair-Mathefarn-Eithaf to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Llanfair-Mathefarn-Eithaf has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

Llanfair Mathafarn Eithaf Memorial Committee Minute Book 1919-1921 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales      "Llanfair Mathafarn Eithaf Memorial Committee was involved in the erection of a Memorial Hall for Goronwy Owen and the men who had fallen during the First World War"

topup

Land and Property

Held at Anglesey Record Office (NRA);

  • Llanfair Mathafarn Eithaf Community Council ;- 1938-1991: minutes
  • Llanfair Mathafarn Eithaf land tax;- 1718-1869: assessments
  • Llanfair Mathafarn Eithaf Parish;- 1753-1996: records
  • Llanfair Mathafarn Eithaf tithes;- 1924-36: Tithe Rent Charge account books
  • Llanfair Mathafarn Eithaf window tax;- 1719-65: assessments
topup
topup

Public Records

R. H. Thomas Papers 1700 - 1933  - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales   
These include the Vestry book of Llanfair Mathafarn Eithaf for 1821

topup

Social life and Customs

"Goronwy Owen (1723-1769) was one of Wales's most important poets of the eighteenth century...................born in 1723 to a poor family in the parish of Llanfair Mathafarn Eithaf, Anglesey" - from the Digital Mirror at the NLW

Photograph of  Y Dafarn Goch, birthplace of Goronwy Owen (and other material) -  on the People's Collection Wales site

Girl Guides Camp at Porth Llongdy, Llanfair Mathafarn Eithaf in 1925 - on the People's Collection Wales site