Primary tabs

"LLANIDAN, a parish in the hundred of Menai, county Anglesey, 4 miles N.E. of Carnarvon, its post town. It is situated on the shore of Menai Strait, and includes the township of Brynshenkin. The Roman general Suetonius effected a landing in A.D. 60 at a spot between Porthamel and the river, about 1 mile from the village of Llanidan, still called Bryn Beddau, or the "hill of graves," from the number of the slain. The same passage was chosen a few years later by Agricola, who here dealt the deathblow to Druidic superstition, as related by Tacitus, who gives a graphic account of the engagement." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]



  • Harris, John R. The Copper King : a biography of Thomas Williams of Llanidan. Liverpool : Liverpool University Press, 1964. 194p
  • Particulars and plan of desirable freehold farms and lands situate in the several parishes of Llanidan, Ceirchiog, Amlwch, Llangoed, and Llaniestyn in the County of Anglesea [sic] : sold by auction by Mr. Wm. Dew, 22 August 1861, at the Bull Hotel, Llangefni. Chester : W.F. and M. Healey, 1861. 6p
  • Roberts, John. Plans of properties in the parishes of Llanidan, Llanfihangel Esceifiog, Llanddaniel, Llaniestyn, Heneglwys and Llangefni in the couty of Anglesey. c 1756. 17 maps
  • Trefdraeth parish; Llanidan parish; Llangristiolus parish. Particulars with plans of very valuable ....freehold estates, farms and lands ... two thousand seven hundred acres .... to be sold by auction in 48 lots / By Mr. William Dew at The Bull Inn, Llangefni on Thursday the 17th and Friday the 18th days of August 1865.

Church History

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Llanidan Parish; Statistics; Area 4645 acres; Population 684 males, 683 females, total 1367

  • Llanidan Parish Church Built 1843 to replace ancient church Attendance - morning 59, afternoon 50 + 20 scholars Hugh Hughes Jones, Vicar
  • Ebenezer Chapel, Particular Baptists Erected 1803 Attendance - morning 70, afternoon 55 scholars, evening 90 Thomas Owen, Elder
  • Libanus, Independents Erected 1844 Attendance - morning 56, afternoon 100, evening 117 Richard Parry, Deacon
  • Horeb Chapel, Calvinistic Methodists Erected 1841 Attendance - morning 271, afternoon 217 (?) scholars, evening 417 John Roberts, Elder, Brynshenkin
  • Berea, Independents Erected 1840 Attendance - morning 100, afternoon 78 scholars, evening 183 Owen Roberts, Deacon, No 2 Ty Coch, Pentir Berw
  • St Nidan's Church - "St Nidan's Church is a partly demolished medieval structure, some surviving elements of which have been included in a private chapel......" coflein
  • Llanidan Church, Brynsiencyn - on geograph.org.uk
  • Capel Hendre Chapel of Ease, Brynsiencyn coflein
  • Tabernacl Welsh Baptist chapel, High St, Brynsiencyn " ........built in 1808 and rebuilt in 1879......" coflein
  • Horeb CM chapel "The first Horeb Methodist Chapel was built in 1785 at Minffordd and a second chapel in 1806 in Mount Pleasant .......... A third chapel was built in 1841 and the present chapel built nearby in 1883......." coflein
  • "Ty'n Goeden (CM) Methodist Sunday School/Ysgoldy Dwyran, Quirt, Brynsiencyn was built prior to 1905........." coflein
  • Capel Berea (Ind) - on geograph.org.uk and "........ was first built in 1839 and enlarged in 1860......" coflein
  • Libanus Ind chapel, Ffordd Barras, Brynsiencyn ".........was built in 1844, modified in 1850 and enlarged in 1859. In 1907 the chapel was rebuilt......" coflein
  • Rhen Gapel, Ffordd Barras, Brynsiencyn "..... The chapel house is c19th c . Status (1998)...... now a community centre)......" coflein
  • Rees, Thomas & John Thomas Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). The Brynseincyn section (in Welsh) has been extracted as has Berea Ind chapel - both with translation by Eleri Rowlands (Nov 2014)

Various items - on the People's Collection Wales site

  • Church, Llanidan

Description and Travel

Llanidan - on wikipedia

You can see pictures of Llanidan which are provided by:



Ask for a calculation of the distance from Llanidan to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.



Thomas Williams of Llanidan - on the Wikipedia site
"In the 18th century, there was a significant shortage of food for labouring people, not enough was being produced - food is always available for those with money. Thomas Williams 1737-1802, who at his death was the richest man in Wales, once complained to the magistrate at Llanidan that the villagers on Anglesey raided his fields and stole the turnips intended for his cattle and used them to feed their families.................." Jones, W. J., Brynsiencyn, papurau (papers) - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Including minute book of the Llanidan branch of the Workers Union of Anglesey, 1917-1932..."


Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Llanidan has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.


Land and Property

Held at Anglesey Record Office (NRA);

  • Llanidan land tax;- 1745-1869: assessments
  • Llanidan Parish;- 1746-1993: records
  • Llanidan Parish Council;- 1894-1968: minutes, financial records
  • Llanidan tithes;- 1924-36: Tithe Rent Charge account books
  • Llanidan window tax;- 1751-53: assessments