Llantrisant

"LLANTRISAINT, a parish in the hundred of Llyfon, county Anglesey, 5 miles W. of Llanerchymedd, and 7 N.E. of Holyhead. Bangor is its post town. It is situated on the river Alaw, and includes the township of Gwredog. In this parish is a spot known as the tomb of Bronwen, who, according to tradition, died of grief from a blow received at the hands of her husband, King of Ireland. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bangor, value with the curacies of Ceidio, Gwredog, Llanllibio, and Lllêcheynvarwydd, annexed, £915, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to SS. Avran, Icuan, and Sanan, from which circumstance the parish took its name of Llantrisaint, signifying "church of three saints." The parochial endowments, including £9 to Wynne's school, produce about £25 per annum. Dr. Williams, from whom descend the Wynnes, of Wynnestay, was once rector of this parish." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]

topup

Church History

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

1. Llantrisaint Parish; Statistics; Area 4447 acres; Population 289 males, 249 females, total 538

  • Llantrisaint Parish Church (Diocese of Bangor) An ancient Parish Church on the same site but the present Fabric comparatively modern Attendance - morning 11 Service in Welsh John Jones, Archdeacon of Bangor, Rector
  • Carmel, Wales Calvinistic Methodist Erected 1826 Attendance - morning 64 scholars, afternoon 102, evening 92 Owen Owens, Deacon, Chwaunddu
  • Ainon, Baptist Erected 1838 Attendance - morning 25 scholars, afternoon 50, evening 40 Jas. Nicholas, Baptist Minister, Llanerchymedd

2. Gwredog Extra Parochial; Statistics; Area 936 acres; Population 26 males, 16 females, total 42

  • Gwredog, A Chapel under Llantrisant Attendance - average afternoon 10 "Service at the Chapel of Gwredog only the 1st Sunday in every monthy owing to its being near Ceidio Chapel and for other reasons" John Morgan, Curate
      • The new (1889) Llantrisant Church [Ss Afran, Ieuan and Sannan] - on geograph.org.uk and "......A new church was built at what is now Llantrisant in 1899 and by 1937........ " coflein
      • Llantrisant Old Church - on geograph.org.uk and "A medieval parish church mentioned as 'Ecclesia de Clansann' in 1254. The present building is thought to be fourteenth century although it retains few, if any original features................" coflein
      • Capel Ainon Baptist chapel, Pen-llyn - on geograph.org.uk and "The Ainon cause was formed in 1837 and the first chapel built between 1838 and 1839. This was rebuilt in 1881......" coflein
      topup
      topup

      Description and Travel

      You can see pictures of Llantrisant which are provided by:

      topup

      Gazetteers

      LLANTRISAINT (LLAN - TRISANT), a parish partly in the hundred of MEDIAL but chiefly in that of LLYVON, county of ANGLESEY, NORTH WALES, 4 miles (W.) from Llanerchymedd, containing 537 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated in the western part of the island, and is intersected by the small river Alaw, comprehends a tract of about four thousand four hundred and sixty acres of arable and pasture land, of which the greater portion is enclosed. The surface is boldly undulated, rising into abrupt eminences of various elevation and aspect : the soil is for the most part poor, consisting chiefly of a hungry clay, fit only for the cultivation of oats. Copper-ore has been found in considerable quantities upon Meinir farm ; but no mines of it have hitherto been opened. The living is a discharged rectory, with the perpetual curacies of Ceidio, Gwredog, Llanllibio, and Llechcynvarwydd annexed, in the archdeaconry of Anglesey, and diocese of Bangor, rated in the king's books at £ 15, and in the patronage of the Bishop of Bangor. The church, dedicated to St. Avran, St. Ieuan, and St. Sanan, from which circumstance the parish derives its name, signifying the church of three saints, was originally founded in the year 570. The present is a good modern edifice of comparatively recent erection : it contains a neat plain monument to the memory of Dr. Hugh Williams, founder of the families of Wynnstay, Bodelwyddan, and Penbedw. There is a place of worship for Calvinistic Methodists. A small parochial school for the gratuitous instruction of poor children was founded in 1822: it has an endowment of £8 per annum, for which ten children are taught reading, writing, and arithmetic : the instruction of others is paid for by subscription. Three poor men from this parish are eligible to the alms-houses at Beaumaris, under the will of the founder, David Hughes, who endowed them with the farm called Meinir, here situated, and with various other lands for the support of the inmates. The same benefactor, by his will, dated December 30th, 1609, after providing for the maintenance and support of the school and almshouses at Beaumaris, directs that any surplus should be distributed among the poor of this parish ; but although a considerable surplus has been accumulating for many years, no distribution has yet been made. The affairs of the charity are at present under the investigation of the Lord Chancellor, and it is expected that a very considerable distribution will eventually be made among the poor, according to the tenour of the will. The above-named David Hughes was a native of this parish, and having by persevering industry amassed a very ample property, thus charitably appropriated a considerable portion of it for the benefit of the poor. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £293. 13. ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales 1833 by Samuel Lewis)

      GWREDOG, a chapelry in that part of the parish of LLANTRISAINT which is in the hundred of MENAI, county of ANGLESEY, NORTH WALES, 2 miles (N. by E.) from Llanerchymedd. The population is returned with the parish. This small chapelry, which consists only of two farms, is situated in a very retired part of the county, and is not distinguished by any feature of interest or importance. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the rectory of Llantrisaint, in the archdeaconry of Anglesey, and diocese of Bangor. The chapel, dedicated to St. Mary, is a very small and plain edifice, occupying a solitary situation, almost inaccessible in winter, and without any road leading to it. One poor man of this place is eligible to the almshouses founded at Beaumaris, in 1609, by Mr. David Hughes, who also founded and endowed the free grammar school of that place. ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales 1833 by Samuel Lewis)

      Ask for a calculation of the distance from Llantrisant to another place.

      Click here for a list of nearby places.

      topup

      Historical Geography

      You can see the administrative areas in which Llantrisant has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

      topup

      History

      Inscribed stone at Ty'n Rossydd farm, Capel Bronwen, Llantrisant - on the UCL Institute of Archaeology site

      topup

      Land and Property

      Held at Anglesey Record Office (NRA);

      • Llantrisant land tax;- 1744-1831: assessments
      • Llantrisant Parish;- 1745-1975: records
      • Llantrisant tithes;- 1925-36: Tithe Rent Charge account books
      • Llantrisant window tax;- 1754-60: assessments
      topup
      topup

      Public Records

      Manuscript copy of Llantrisant parish vestry book, created April 1934 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales    "Contains minutes of meetings dated 1765 to 1816 relating to the charity Engan Chwith, apprenticeships, schools, the militia etc."