"ABERLLYVNI, or ABERLLYNVY, or LLYNFI (ABER-LLYFNI), a parish, in the hundred of TALGARTH, county of BRECKNOCK, SOUTH WALES, 4 miles (S. W. by W.) from Hay, containing 125 inhabitants. This place is beautifully situated at the junction of the river Llyvni with the Wye, on the southern bank of the latter, amid the most luxuriant and richly diversified scenery. It has long since ceased to exercise the ecclesiastical rights of a parish, though they have not been transferred to any adjoining parish. The inhabitants marry and bury their dead at Glasbury, from which circumstance Aberllyvni is commonly considered a chapelry or hamlet to that parish; but they do not contribute to the church rate of Glasbury, which is the usual mark of dependence. From the will of William Vaughan, of Maeslwch, dated 1582, the advowson appears to have been the property of that gentleman, who bequeathed it to his daughter, Catherine Vaughan, together with that of LVswen: it is also noticed in Pope Nicholas' Valuation, separatg from Glftsbury, at £4. 6. 8. The benefice appears to have ceased to exist about the middle of the last century, when the church fell into ruins, ... Prior to that period the church, it is presumed, was regularly served; and there are persons still living who recollect the existence of tombstones: an aged yew tree indicates the site of the building, but the whole is now covered by a small plantation of fir trees. At an adjoining farm- house there is an octagonal stone font, ornamented in its different compartments with mullets and crosses, and bearing the date 1635. Aberllyvni, with the hamlet of Velindre, receives £ 6. 8. 3. per annum, arising from a bequest by Sir David Williams, Knt., for the benefit of the poor: it is separately assessed for the maintenance of its poor, the average annual expenditure amounting to £90. 12." [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales 1833 by Lewis Samuel. Transcribed by ©Mel Lockie]
Aberllynfi has no parish church of its own, but uses St Peter's Church in the neighbouring parish of Glasbury.
Various landscapes - on the People's Collection Wales site
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Aberllynfi to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Aberllynfi has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Map of the parish of Aberllunvy in the County of Brecon - on the People's Collection Wales site
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO175375 (Lat/Lon: 52.030026, -3.204274), Aberllynfi which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc., within Aberllynfi parish as shown on the parish map on the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file] (Kain, R. J. P., Oliver, R. R.) (Extracted by John Ball)
- Aberllynfi  - Aberllynfi, Gwernyfed Park, Little Lodge, Pontithel, Three Cocks Junction.