Defynnog

Primary tabs

"DEVYNNOCK, a parish in the hundred of Devynnock, in the county of Brecon, 7 miles S.W. of Brecknock. It is situated on the river Usk, and contains Ystradyelltey, Llanulid, Glyntawe, Llaniltid, Maescar, Glynn, and Senny. The great forest covers an area of 20,000 acres. The Roman road, Via Tulia, passed through the parish. ... [Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]

topup

Bibliography

Hanes plwyf Crai (Crai parish history). Crai : Crai Community Council, 2001. 145p

Jones, Gareth. The district of Sennybridge, Trecastle and Defynnog : this was a way of life. Abertillery : Old Bakehouse Publications, 1997. 247p

Jones, Gareth. The district of Sennybridge, Trecastle and Defynnog. Book 2. Abertillery : Old Bakehouse Publications, 2000. 216p

Jones, Gareth. First names [Defynnog]. Cronicl Powys. No. 26 (1992), p. 48-54

Jones, Gareth. Llwynycrychydd, Defynnog parish. Cronicl Powys. No. 21 (1989), p. 20-23

King, D. J. Cathcart. Camlais and Sennybridge castles. Brycheiniog 21 (1984/85), p. 9-11

Lewis, D. Craionog. Hanes plwyf Defynog : yn cynnwys y rhanbarthau cynlynol; Crai, Glyntawy, Senni, Glyntarell, a Maescar. Merthyr Tydfil : H. W. Southey a'i Feibion, Cyf, Argrffwyr, 1911. 340p

topup

Census

Victorian Powys for schools site - Defynnog census figures 1841-1901

topup

Church History

Church of St Cynog on the Brecknockshire Churches Survey site

topup

Church Records

Detailed information on deposited registers and transcripts for this parish is given under Breconshire Parish Registers on the Powys Archives website

As a guide only, the principal extant parochial church records for this parish span the dates shown below (as detailed in Parish Registers of Wales (NLW 2000) but exact current holdings should be confirmed with the individual Archives:

  • Baptisms 1695-1763, 1771-1939; Marriages 1695-1763, 1771-1997; Burials 1695-1763, 1771-1984 Parish Registers, or copies, for all or part of these dates are held at the NLW and/or Powys Archives. Bishops Transcripts for various periods are held at the NLW.

Callwen (Glyntawe) a parish formed out of Defynnog parish in 1868, extant records are:

  • Baptisms 1685-94, 1760-1958; Marriages 1685-94, 1760-1808, 1840-1922, 1924-71, Banns 1833-1927; Burials 1685-94, 1778-1958 (NLW, West Glamorgan Archives and /or Glamorgan Archives) Bishops Transcripts for various periods are held at the NLW.

Crai/Cray - an ancient chapelry in Defynnog parish, possibly without own PR before 1813. There is a reference to "Llanilid/Llanulid parish church" in the context of Crai (see also the National Gazetteer entry). Consent was given to rebuild the 'ruinated chapel called Llanthew chapel otherwise Cray chapel in 1752' (NLW) Extant records for Crai are:

  • Baptisms 1820-1986; Burials 1885-1992; Banns 1884-1992 (NLW and/or Powys Archives)

Llanilltud/Llanilltyd (Capel Illtyd) a chapel of ease to Defynnog, a separate parish from 1887, extant records are:

  • Baptisms 1776-1983; Marriages 1776-1817, 1862-1971 St John, Glyn 1925-1971; Burials 1776-1945 (NLW and /or Powys Archives) Bishops Transcripts for various periods are held at the NLW.
topup

Court Records

Petty Sessions were first held in the nineteenth century, a minor court presided over by two or more justices or magistrates. Records include minute books, court registers, adoption registers, licensing and ledger accounts. There is a 75 year closure period for adoption records and 30 years for the rest. Petty Sessions Records from 1949-81 (reference: BPS/D) have been deposited at Powys Archives.

topup

Description and Travel

    Sennybridge Castle on the Castle Wales site

    You can see pictures of Defynnog which are provided by:

    topup

    Gazetteers

    The transcription of the section for Defynnog from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.

    Ask for a calculation of the distance from Defynnog to another place.

    Click here for a list of nearby places.

    topup

    Historical Geography

    You can see the administrative areas in which Defynnog has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

    topup

    History

    Defynnog Fair c1908  - on the People's Collection Wales  site

    topup
    topup

    Names, Geographical

    Places, villages, farms etc. within Defynnog parish as shown on the parish map on the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R. J. P., Oliver, R. R.). (Extracted by John Ball)

    • Crai [64A] - Castle Drake, Cnewr, Cray Reservoir, Pen-y-waun-dwr, Pont Gihirych
    • Crai - Fforest-fawr [64B] - Beili-gwern, Belfont, Clyn, Cray, Cray Reservoir, Gelli-wlyb, Goch-gareg, Llwyn-y-neuadd, Marchog-dir, Nant-Madoc, Nant-yr-haiarn, Onen-fawr, Pant-y-crafog, Pant-ysgallog, Pentwyn-isaf, Rhyd Owen, Tan-y-rhiw, Tir-y-capel, Ty-newydd
    • Maescar [65] - Bailia, Cwm-Wysg-ganol, Dan-y-cefn, Devynock, Devynock & Sennybridge Station, Felin Camlais, Gwern-ller-tai, Maescar, Neuadd-cwm-Camlais, Sennybridge, Tir-y-graig, Ty-mawr, Tyle-bychan
    • Glyn [66A] - Blaen-Clyn, Blaen-brynych, Blaen-glyn, Bryn-bolgoed, Cwm-Clyn, Forest Lodge, Libanus, Llwyn-y-celyn, Pen-rhos, Pen-twyn, Ty-newydd
    • Glyn - Fforest-fawr [66B] - Beacons Reservoir, Glyn
    • Senny [67A] - Aber-Senny-isaf, Aber-Senny-uchaf, Beiliau, Blaen-Senny, Brychgoed, Castell-Madoc, Cefn-fedw, Cefn-fedw-fawr, Garn-lwyd, Garn-wen, Gelliau, Heol Senni, Llwyn-llydan, Maes-Walter, Neuadd, Pant-glas, Pant-y-ffordd, Tyle-gawr, Tyle-glas, Wern-fawr
    • Senny - Fforest-fawr [67B] - Senny
    • Glyntawe [68] - Glyntawe, Gwyn Arms, Tavern-y-gerreg Inn, Pwll Byfre, Pwll-coediog, Rhongyr-isaf