Glasbury (Y Clas-ar-wy)
"GLASBURY, a parish partly in the hundred of Talgarth, county Brecon, and partly in that of Painscastle, county Radnor, South Wales, 4 miles S.W. of Hay, its post town, and 5 N.E. of Talgarth. The parish includes the hamlets of Pipton, Tregoed, and Velindre. The river Wye flows through the village, which is situated in a fine spot. Aberllunfi is a parish of itself, but its church has been suffered to go to ruin, and the chancel of Glasbury church has been given for the accommodation of the Aberllunfi people. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. David's, ... " [Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
"Glasbury parish is divided between Radnorshire and Brecknockshire ; before October 1844 the whole parish was in Radnorshire" ( Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.).
The part of Glasbury parish which was in Radnorshire is on the north side of the River Wye
Dawson, M L. Notes on the history of Glasbury. London : Bedford Press, 1918. 71p.
Hawkins, A Raymond. The Vaughan-Morgans of Glasbury : their tribulations and triumphs. Brecknock : Brecknock Museum Publication, [19--?] 16p.
Howse, W H Notes on the history of Glasbury Radnorshire Society Transactions Vol 18 1948 Welsh Journals Online
Newbound, Pauline. "The Hughes family of Glasbury" Cronicl Powys, No. 44 (August 1998), 21-23.
Powell, Alan A. "The Prosser family of Llyswen, Courtcoed, Glasbury and Genffordd, Talgarth : a triple connection" Cronicl Powys. No. 19 (1988), p. 45-8.
Silvester, R J & R Hankinson Clas, church and village at Glasbury Radnorshire Society Transactions, vol. 73 2003 Welsh Journals Online
Sylvester, Dorothy Glasbury, Norton, and the problem of the nucleated village in Radnorshire Radnorshire Society Transactions Vol 37 1967 Welsh Journals Online
The registers of Glasbury, Breconshire. 1660-1836. London : Priv. print. for the Parish register society, 1904  366p.
|Glasbury Wesleyan Methodist Church / Cwmbach Chapel, Cwmbach|
|Llanwhimp Primitive Methodist Chapel / Ebenezer Chapel, Llanywhimp|
|New Zion Methodist Chapel, Moity|
Rees, Thomas & John Thomas Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). The Maesyronen and Glasbury sections (in Welsh) have been extracted - with translation by Maureen Saycell (June 2009)
Various items - on the People's Collection Wales site
- Maesyronnen Congregational Chapel, Glasbury
- St. Peter's church, Glasbury
Detailed information on deposited registers and transcripts for this parish is given under Breconshire Parish Registers on the Powys Archives website
As a guide only, the principal extant parochial church records for this parish span the dates shown below (as detailed in Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 2000) but exact current holdings should be confirmed with the individual Archives;
- Baptisms 1660-1955; Marriages 1660-1976; Burials 1660-1929; Banns 1823-1940. Parish Registers, or copies, for all or part of these dates are held at the NLW and/or Powys Archives. Bishops Transcripts for various periods are held at the NLW.
The Radnorshire part of this parish has been served since 1882 by the church of All Saints; its extant records are;
- Baptisms 1882-1989; Marriages 1883-1971. No separate burials register (NLW and/or Powys Archives).
The transcription of the section for Glasbury from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Glasbury (Y Clas-ar-wy) to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Glasbury (Y Clas-ar-wy) has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Glasbury bridge on the River Wye, 1797 - on the People's Collection Wales site
Victorian Powys for schools site - Map of Glasbury in 1887
Map of the parish of Glasbury in the Counties of Brecon and Radnor. 1844. Edward Fowke, Glanhenwye, Glasbury, valuer. James Williams, Pontithel, Aberllynfi, Breconshire, valuer. Second class map. Voluntary agreement. Commutation dated 28.10.1841. Shows waterbodies, houses, woods, and a few fences. Apportionment omits some field names. 9216 acres commuted. Apportionment by holding. Land use details and field-names given in apportionment schedule. Tithe rent charge £870 (£470 Vicar; £400 Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol).
Map of the parish of Glasbury in the Counties of Brecon and Radnor - on the People's Collection Wales site
Family Search have an interactive map called "England and Wales Jurisdictions 1851" showing parish (and other) boundaries with optional background maps such as Ordnance Survey. There is also a Search facility, do read the guidance notes to get maximum benefit from this useful resource. See here for further background information to assist in the interpretation of this data
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO191373 (Lat/Lon: 52.028229, -3.180714), Glasbury (Y Clas-ar-wy) which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc., within Glasbury parish as shown on the parish map on the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file] (Kain, R. J. P., Oliver, R. R.). (Extracted by John Ball)
- Glasbury  - Heol-y-gaer.
- Pipton  - Boxbush, Dderw, Mound, Pentre-Sollars, Pipton, Porth y morddwy.
- Tregoyd and Velindre  - The Allt, Allt Wood, Blaen Bwch, Blaen-y-cwm-isaf, Blaenau, Bryn-ddwy-nant, Felindre, Neuadd, New Court, Pen-twyn, Pen-y-cwm, Pen-yr-heol, Rhiw Wen, Tregoyd, Tregoyd Common, Tyle-glas, Wern Iago.
- Glasbury [62 (in Radnorshire)] - Bryn-sifiog, Cilkenny Dingle, Cil-twrch Common, Coed-y-Marchog, Cwm-bach, Ffynnon Gynydd Common, Glasbury, Glasbury Fm, Little Mountain, Llach-dolt, Maesllwch Castle, Maes-yr-onen, Mandach, Pentre Iago, Scynlas, Tyle-mawr, Wern Dover, Woodlands.