LLANGUNIDER - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"LLANGUNIDER, (or Llangynider), a parish in the hundred of Crickhowell, county Brecon, 4 miles N.W. of Crickhowell, its post town, and 8 S.E. of Brecknock. It is situated near the foot of the Bwlch mountains on the river Usk and the Brecon canal. The Trivel tram-road passes through it. The parish includes the townships of Blainey, Duffryn and Fro Collieries, quarries, and the Clydach ironworks are the chief sources of employment. In the neighbourhood of the village are Duffryn, Crownan, and Buckland Mill. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of St. David's, value £418. The church is dedicated to St. Cynydr. The parochial charities produce about £8 per annum. Fairs are held on 20th April, 7th October, 1st December, and on the Wednesday previous to Christmas day."

"BLAINEY, a parcel of the parish of Llangunider, hundred of Crickhowell, in the county of Brecknock, South Wales, 5 miles to the W. of Crickhowell. It is a station on the Western Valleys section of the Monmouthshire railway and canal."

"DUFFRYN, a parcel in the parish of Llangunider, hundred of Crickhowell, in the county of Brecon, 7 miles S.W. of Crickhowell, and 16 from Llandebie by the Llanelly railway, which has a station here. It is situated at the source of the river Romney. There are some collieries and ironworks."

"VRO, a parcel in the parish of Llangunider, hundred of Crickhowell, county Brecon, 4 miles N.W. of Crickhowell. It is situated near the Usk and Brecon canal. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the iron and lime works."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]