Betws Garmon / Bettws Garmon
"BETWS-GARMON, a parish in the hundred of Isgorfai, in the county of Carnarvon, North Wales, 5 miles to the S.E. of Carnarvon, its post and union town. It is situated at the foot of Snowdon, the base of which extends into the parish. The river Gwrfai takes its rise here, and the neighbourhood comprises some of the grandest mountain and lake scenery in Wales. The church stands between Moel Aelian, 2,370 feet in height, and the Mynydd Mawr hills of rather lower elevation. Remains of towers exist on both these hills. Nant Mill, which is near a beautiful waterfall, is in this parish. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Bangor, value £63, in the patronage of the Bishop of Llandaff. The church, of small dimensions, is dedicated to St. Garmon. Fairs are held here on the 17th August, and the 22nd and 26th September." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Kelly, Richard S. Two small perforated stones from Betws Garmon and Mynytho. Transactions of the Caernarvonshire Historical 48 (1987), p. 119-22
- Yates, M J. Excavation and conservation at Capel Garmon chambered tomb, Betws-y-coed, Gwynedd, 1989. Archaeology in Wales 31 (1991), p. 1-5
1851 Census of Betws Garmon. A full transcription by Joyce & Douglas Hinde in both "As Enumerated" and "Surname Order" form.
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Bettws Garmon Parish; Statistics; Area 2759 acres; Population 45 males, 52 females, total 97
ST GARMON'S CHURCH, BETWS GARMON (External/internal) - on the People's Collection Wales site
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at the Caernarfon Area Record Office.
A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Betws Garmon / Bettws Garmon to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Betws Garmon / Bettws Garmon has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Ration books issued by the Ministry of Food. Instructions for use printed on front and back. Contain coupons for sugar, fats, meat and spare coupons. Owner's name and address written inside in ink. Original staple missing, replaced by paper clip. Used by William Jones of Betws Garmon. dd 5 Jul 1918 - on the People's Collection Wales site
Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Caernarfonshire (under Parishes) - with some links to photographs of parish churches
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH571559 (Lat/Lon: 53.08134, -4.134937), Betws Garmon / Bettws Garmon which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)