Betws-y-Coed / Bettws-y-Coed
"BETWS-Y-COED, a parish in the hundred of Nantconway, in the county of Carnarvon, North Wales, 3 miles to the S. of Llanrwst. It is situated in a charming valley, protected by mountains, at the junction of the river Llugwy with the Conway. The latter is crossed by Waterloo-bridge, a single arch of iron, erected in the year of the battle of Waterloo. Over the former is the bridge called Pont-y-Pair, of singular construction, the work of an ingenious mason of Pennlyn, who lived in the 15th century. It consists of four arches, each resting on a mass of rock, over which the water, in time of floods, runs in fine cascades." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Jones, Ivor W. Betws-y-Coed & the Conwy Valley. Cardiff : John Jones Cardiff Ltd, 1974. 80p
- Jones, Ivor W. Betws-y-Coed, the mountain resort. Glasgow : Hay Nisbet and Miller Ltd, 1974. 62p
- Kendall, Hilary. Walks around Betws-y-Coed. [Betws y Coed] : [Hilary Books], 1998. 80p
- Lord, Peter. Clarence Whaite and the Welsh art world : the Betws-y-coed artists' colony, 1844-1914. Aberystwyth : National Library of Wales, 1998. 192p
- Miles, Cenlas. Official guide to Betws-y-coed. Betws-y-Coed] : Betws-y-coed Community Council, 1982. 48p
- North Wales (northern section) : Llandudno, Colwyn Bay, Rhyl, Conway, Penmaenmawr, Bangor, Anglesey, Betws-y-Coed, Llanrwst, Capel Curig, Caernarvon, etc. 5th ed. London : Ward Lock, 1979. 192p
- Sandiford, Ray. Betws-y-coed : a pictorial trip down memory lane. Bettws-y-coed : Country Cottage Publications, 1992. 80p
- Shaw, Donald L. The A-Z of Betws-y-coed : a miscellany of selected past and present facts associated with the village and parish, including character anecdotes. Capel Garmon : Gwasg Carreg Gwalch, 1990. 136p
|Tabernacl Independent Chapel (Soar), Betws-Y-Coed|
|Brynmawr Chapel, Betws-Y-Coed|
|Carmel Chapel, Betws-Y-Coed|
|Ebenezer Chapel, Betws-Y-Coed|
|Rhiwddolion Chapel, Rhiwddolion|
|Salem Chapel, Betws-Y-Coed|
|Catholic Church, Betws-Y-Coed|
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Bettws-y-coed Parish; Statistics; Area 3537 acres; Population 234 males, 244 females, total 478
See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of ;
- St Michael's Church
- St Mary's Church
Friends of St Michael's, Betws-y-Coed W. Rawson Williams Sermon Notes - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Photocopies of the notes and sermons of W. Rawson Williams together with notes on the history of the Calvinistic Methodist cause in Betws-y-Coed"
- Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Betws-y-coed chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (Oct 2009)
Betws-Y-Coed Church - on the People's Collection Wales site
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at the Caernarfon Area Record Office.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Betws-y-Coed / Bettws-y-Coed to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Betws-y-Coed / Bettws-y-Coed has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Certificate that Richard Thomas killed five foxes in the parish of Betws-y-coed and one fox in the parish of Dolwyddelan. dd 10 June 1652 - on the People's Collection Wales site
Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Caernarfonshire (under Parishes)
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH786568 (Lat/Lon: 53.094221, -3.814101), Betws-y-Coed / Bettws-y-Coed which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
J. V. Williams (County Valuer) Papers - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Includes; Papers about the Betws-y-Coed Waterworks, 1912-1914...."
Conwy Schools (Ysgolion Conwy) records - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Includes; Records of school within Conwy CBC, including Betws Y Coed Council Primary School, 1871-1974.."