Bottwnog / Botwnnog
"BOTTWNOG, a parish in the hundred of Gafflogian, in the county of Carnarvon, North Wales, 5 miles to the S. of Nevin. Pwllheli is its post town. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to the rectory of Meyllteyrn, in the diocese of Bangor. The church is dedicated to St. Benno. Here is a free grammar school, founded and endowed by Bishop Rowland, which has a revenue of £206 per annum. There are other charitable endowments worth about £6 a year." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
|Bryn-Mawr Chapel, Bryn-Mawr|
|Neigwl Chapel (Ysgoldy), Neigwl|
|Rhyd-Bach Chapel, Rhydbach|
|Sarn Chapel, Sarn-Meyllteyrn|
|Tyddyn Chapel, Botwnnog|
|Capel Gwerthyr, ??|
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Bottwnog Parish; Statistics; Area 487 acres; Population 71 males, 92 females, total 163
There are photographs of the following chapels on the Penllyn.com site;
- Rhydbach (CM); Capel Salem (Baptist)
Bottwnog Church & Free School by Moses Griffith 1774 on the NLW site (Thomas Pennant Collection)
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at the Caernarfon Area Record Office.
Bottwnog churchyard - some inscriptions on Alwyn's Godsacre site
A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Bottwnog / Botwnnog to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Bottwnog / Botwnnog has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH265319 (Lat/Lon: 52.856149, -4.577737), Bottwnog / Botwnnog which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Ysgol Botwnnog - on the Rhiw.com site