"CAERHUN, (or Caerhen), a parish in the hundred of Isaf, in the county of Carnarvon, North Wales, 4 miles to the S. of Conway. Llanrwst is its post town. It is situated on the banks of the river Conway, and extends over an area of 13,402 acres. It was the site of the Roman station Conovium, the foundations of which are still traceable. Many interesting Roman remains have been found, among which is a brick inscribed "Leg. X." In 1801 a villa was discovered, and in 1824 a pottery with good specimens of highly ornamented ware. Traces of copper and manganese have been found in this parish. The living is a rectory united with that of Llanbedr, in the diocese of Bangor. The church is dedicated to St. Mary, and stands in a pretty spot near Caerrhun Hall. There are several chapels for Dissenters in the parish. The charitable endowments are worth £5 a year. Caerrhun Hall is the chief residence." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Brown, Margaret E. Williams family of Caerhun, Conwy. Gwreiddiau Gwynedd / Gwynedd Roots. 38 (2000), p. 27-32
- Humphreys, G A. Caerhun Hall and the Roman station of Conovium. [Llanfairfechan : W.E. Owen], 1911. 34p
- Reynolds, Paul K B. Excavations on the site of the Roman fort of Kanovium at Caerhun, Caernarvonshire : Collected reports of the excavations of the years 1926-1929 and on the pottery and other objects found. Cardiff : W. Lewis, 1938.
|St Mary, Caerhun|
|Ebeneser Independent Chapel, Ro Wen|
|Siloh Independent Chapel, Nant Brwynog|
|Llwyngwaew Sunday School, Llwyngwaew|
|Seion Welsh Presbyterian Chapel, Rowen|
|Siloam Baptist Chapel, Rowen|
|Soar Chapel, Maenan|
|Tanycelyn Chapel, Tanycelyn|
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Caerhun Parish; Statistics: Area 13402 acres; Population 624 males, 629 females, total 1253
St Mary - on wikipedia
- Rees, Thomas & John Thomas.Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Roe Wen chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (Feb 2010)
Various items - on the People's Collection Wales site
- St Mary's Church (Interior/exterior) Caerhun
- Tal-y-bont chapel (CM), Caerhun
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at the Caernarfon Area Record Office.
Gaianydd Papers - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Includes; 'The Book of Accounts of the Church Wardens of the parish of Caerhun, 1786'; 'Parish of Caerhun Vestry Book, 1852'..."
Various landscapes - on the People's Collection Wales site
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Caerhun to another place.
W. O. Roberts Collection -1968 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"W. O. Roberts (fl. 1899-1957) of Plas Dulyn, Llanbedr-y-Cennin, Caernarfonshire, was a poet, antiquarian and historian. He collected items of historical and literary interest relating to Caernarfonshire, in particular the parishes of Caerhun and Llanbedr-y-Cennin..."
You can see the administrative areas in which Caerhun has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Artefacts from the Roman fort of Canovium, Caerhun - on the People's Collection Wales site
Caerhun Standing Stones - on the Modern Antiquarian site
Caerhun - on wicipedia (Welsh)
Various items - on the People's Collection Wales site
- Photo of the outline plan of the Roman fort of Canovium (or Kanovium) on the information board outside the Church of St Mary's near Caerhun in the Conwy Valley
- Canovium (alternate spelling with a 'K' instead of a 'C') Roman fort located on the banks of the River Conwy at Caerhun. Photo is of the information board at the site of St Mary;s Church, built within the boundaries of the fort.
- Memorandum of Recognizance of William Hughes of 'Tyddin bach' in the parish of Caerhun, sawyer, in the case of bastardy, namely that William Hughes is the father of the child of Elizabeth Owen of Llwydfaen Isa in the parish of Caerhun dd 24 Feb 1787
- Petition of Richard ap Hugh ap Robert, Madryn, who pleads exemption from duty as high constable of the hundred of Caerhun 'beinge of the age of seventye nine years and in a manner doted and unfit to take the charge of the said affairs'. dd 1652
- A view along the street Tal-y-bont, showing houses and the Post Office
- Mr. Davies and donkey, Tal-y-bont (Caerhun, Caern)
Caerhun Estate Records 1446-1934 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"The Caerhun estate had been in the possession of the Davies family of Caerhun since the early 16 cent......"
Map of Estates the property of Owen Holland Esqre. in the several parishes of Conway, Gyffin, Dwygyfylchi, Llanglynnin and Caerhun, 1776 - on the People's Collection Wales site
Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Caernarfonshire (under Parishes) - with some links to photographs of parish churches
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH739681 (Lat/Lon: 53.195386, -3.888602), Caerhun which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Conwy School Boards (Byrddau Ysgol Conwy) records - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"School Boards were responsible for providing schools for a parish or group of parishes, following the Education Act 1872. These included the Caerhun, Llanbedr y Cennin and Dolgarrog United District School Board .........."
School, Tal-y-bont (Caerhun, Caern) - on the People's Collection Wales site