"CEIDIO, a parish in the hundred of Dinlaen, in the county of Carnarvon, North Wales, 5 miles W. of Pwllheli, its post town, and 2 from Nevin. The Crewe section of the London and North-Western railway has a station at Bangor, 28 miles distant. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Bangor, value £85, in the patronage of T. P. J. Parry, Esq. The charities produce £4 per annum." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Ceidio Parish; Statistics; Area 1081 acres; Population 83 males, 77 females, total 160
See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of St Ceidio's Church
St Ceidio Church - on geograph.org
- Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Ceidio chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (March 2011)
Various items - on the People's Collection Wales site
- ST CEIDIO'S CHURCH
- PENIEL WELSH INDEPENDENT CHAPEL, CEIDIO
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at the Caernarfon Area Record Office.
Various landscapes - on the People's Collection Wales site
CEIDIO, a parish in the hundred of DINLLAEN, county of CARNARVON, NORTH WALES; 6 miles (W.N. W) from Pwllheli, containing 135 inhabitants. The soil on the higher grounds is sandy, and the lower grounds are composed chiefly of turbaries. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Bangor, endowed with £200 private benefaction, £1400 royal bounty, and £ 600 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of T. P. Jones Parry, Esq. Previously to the above endowments, the minister's stipend was only £ 5 per annum, which small sum was the bequest of Owen Hughes, of Madryn, Esq. The, church, dedicated to St. Ceidio, and situated on an eminence, is a small neat building, kept in excellent repair. A singular custom of dispensing altogether with the appointment of churchwardens prevails in this parish. An average annual expenditure amounting to £82 is applied for the support of the poor. ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ceidio to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Ceidio has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH295379 (Lat/Lon: 52.911204, -4.536453), Ceidio which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)