Clynnog-fawr / Clynnog
"CLYNNOG VAWR, a parish in the hundred of Uwch Gorfai, in the county of Carnarvon, North Wales, 9 miles S.W. of Carnarvon, its post town and railway station. This pretty little village is situated about 10 miles from the foot of the Rivals, near the sea-shore. Its church, as Pennant truly remarks, is the most remarkable structure of its kind in North Wales. It is built in the form of a cross, and is a fine specimen of the late perpendicular style of Henry VII. Its length from E. to W. is 130 feet, and its breadth, from N. to S., 70. It consists of a nave, transept, and chancel, with a tower, and at the western end a porch surmounted by a muniment room, and a sacristy, also surmounted by a room. The church contains tombs of the Glynne and Twisleton families, and a curious oak chest, carved out of a solid tree, which was once used for the reception of offerings to St. Bino, or Beuno, to whom the church is dedicated, and who is supposed to have founded an abbey in 616." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- De Hirsch-Davies, John E. History and antiquities of Clynnog. Bangor : Caxton Press, pr.,  24p
- Kelly, Richard S. The excavation of a burnt mound at Graeanog, Clynnog, Gwynedd, in 1983. Archaeologia Cambrensis 141 (1992), p. 74-96
- Thomas, W Gwyn. An early Christian monument in Caernarvonshire [Clynnog Fawr]. Archaeologia Cambrensis 141 (1992), p. 183
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Clynnog Parish; Statistics; Area 12060 acres; Population 796 males, 854 females, total 1650
The Penllyn site - Church of St Bueno, Clynnog Fawr
Ebenezer Chapel, Clynnog-fawr - see below under Land and Property
- Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Pantglas chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation
St Beuno's Church (internal/external), Clynnog Fawr - on the People's Collection Wales site
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at the Caernarfon Area Record Office.
Tombstone Epitaphs c. 1904 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Epitaphs on tombstones collected by Urias Stephen from cemeteries in Llanwnda, Llanllyfni, Llandwrog, Brynaerau and Clynnog, Caernarfonshire"
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Clynnog-fawr / Clynnog to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Clynnog-fawr / Clynnog has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Clynnog Fawr, c. 1885 - on the People's Collection Wales site
Bachwen, Clynnog, casgliad (collection) - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Papers relating mainly to Bachwen, Clynnog-fawr, 1874-1982, including farm diaries of Henry Williams, 1883-1903, Thomas Hughes, 1905-1945, and David Arthur Hughes, 1923-1981; account books and bills from Cefn Emrys and Bachwen, 1879-1982; remembrance cards, 1874-1906; papers relating to Ebenezer Chapel, Clynnog-fawr, and other churches, 1906-1982 ........."
Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Caernarfonshire (under Parishes)
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH447495 (Lat/Lon: 53.020573, -4.31724), Clynnog-fawr / Clynnog which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Return of persons that 'profaned the Lord's Day' in Clynnog Fawr, 1652. - on the People's Collection Wales site