"LLANBEDR-Y-CENNIN, a parish in the hundred of Isaf, county Carnarvon, 5 miles S. of Conway, its post town, and 6 N.W. of Llanrwst. It is situated on the W. bank of the river Conway, and includes the townships of Aidda, Dol-y-Garrog, Llanbedr, and Tal-y-Cafnd; at the latter place there is a ferry. Many of the people are employed in the mines obtaining copper ore. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bangor, value with the vicarage of Caerhun annexed, £289, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. The parochial endowments realise about £44 per annum. There are remains of an ancient British camp. A fair is held on the 3rd October." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Llanbedr-y-Cennin Parish consisting of Llanbedr-y-Cennin and Dolgarrog Township; Statistics; Area 4909 acres; Population 254 males, 227 females, total 481
- Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Salem chapel (in Welsh) Also Soar chapel (in Welsh) - with translations by Eleri Rowlands (Dec 2009) Also Siloh chapel, Brwynog, in Dolgarrog within this parish - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (Feb 2010)
ST PETERS CHURCH, LLANBEDR-Y-CENNIN - on the People's Collection Wales site
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at the Caernarfon Area Record Office.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Llanbedr-y-cennin to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Llanbedr-y-cennin has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Caernarfonshire (under Parishes)
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH744656 (Lat/Lon: 53.17248, -3.881264), Llanbedr-y-cennin which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Conwy School Boards (Byrddau Ysgol Conwy) records - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Includes; ...... Records of the Caerhun, Llanbedr y Cennin and Dolgarrog United District School Board, 1873-1903...."