"LLANBERIS, (or Llanperis), a parish in the hundred of Is-Gorfai, county Carnarvon, 10 miles S.E. of Carnarvon, its post town, and 8 from Bangor. It is situated in the mountainous district of Snowdon, the village being at the entrance of the gloomy valley of the Pass of Llanberis, surrounded on all sides by lofty heights. It was visited by the queen in 1832, then the Princess Victoria, and is considered the starting-point for making the ascent of the different peaks. A new village has sprung up, principally supported by the tourists. The parish includes the mountains of Glyder Vawr, Llyder Vawr, Moel Eilio, Carnedd Igyn, and others, varying in height from 2,300 to 3,300 feet, also a part of Snowdon, which bounds the pass on the W. In the bosom of the valley are two small lakes, one of which, fed by the river Afon-Hwch, has a cataract, 60 feet in height." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Plas Brereton Papers - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Include; ............... business records including correspondence relating to the Cilgwyn Quarry, Llanberis,1884-1911..."
Glynrhonwy Slate Quarry (Llanberis) Papers 1835 - 1916 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
London, Midland and Scottish Railway Company, registers - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Include; ............ Carnarvon & Llanberis Railway, 1864-1871........"
|Jerwsalem Welsh Independent Chapel, Llanberis|
|Maesydref Independent Chapel, Deiniolen, Llanberis|
|Nant Padarn Welsh Independent Chapel, Nant Padarn|
|Tabernacl Welsh Independent Chapel (Capel Bach), Llanberis|
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Llanberis Parish; Statistics; Area 10431 acres; Population 567 males, 544 females, total 1111
Diary and Commonplace Books of Reverend Peter Bayley Williams - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
- "Diary of Reverend Peter Bayley Williams for the year 1825, containing many references to the parishioners of Llanrug and Llanberisetc ............"
Caledfryn Cuttings - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
- "Cuttings taken from the Protestant , 1840, containing a letter from Griffith Jones, Llanberis, attacking Caledfryn's (William Williams ) attempt to discipline the Llanberis Congregational Church ...."
Capel Coch, papurau (papers) -1982 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
- "Capel Coch was a Calvinistic Methodist chapel founded in the slate quarrying village of Llanberis in 1777....... The chapel was rebuilt in 1802 and 1846, with the present building dating from 1893...."
- Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Llanberis chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (April 2012) Also Nantpadarn - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (Oct 2009)
Various items - on the People's Collection Wales site
- ST PERIS' CHURCH
- S. Padarn Church. Llanberis. n. Wales
- HEBRON CHAPEL, GWAEN CWM BRWYNOG
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at the Caernarfon Area Record Office.
Llanberis - on the Llanberis.com site
Journey to the past - Llanberis
People's Collection Wales site - Welsh Slate Museum, Llanberis
Llanberis - on Wikipedia
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Llanberis to another place.
Jones, William, quarryman, of 2 Victoria Terrace, Llanberis. ('Wil Patrwm'), family papers 1887- (mainly 1887-) - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
Papers of Ceridwen Peris ca. 1882 - 1927 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Include; .......... minutes and records relating to various societies and unions, namely, Cymdeithas Ddirwestol Boneddigesau Llanberis , the Temperance Society of the Gentlewomen of Llanberis, established in 1878; the Fourcrosses Band of Hope , 1882 - 1889 and the Fourcrosses Temperance Union , 1894 - 1916......" Papers of Robert Roberts, Llanberis 1930 July 22 - 1936 September 24 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales "Robert Roberts lived at 3 Field Terrace, Llanberis ............."
Rev. A.J. George Letters 1909-1914 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"(He) was a Baptist minister (at) Seion, Llanberis...."
You can see the administrative areas in which Llanberis has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH605585 (Lat/Lon: 53.105609, -4.085155), Llanberis which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Llanberis War Memorial - on the Roll of Honour site
- Welsh Voices of the Great War, Llanberis (collection)
- A letter from the Imperial War Graves Commission requesting 7/10 in payment for the inscription 'Yr hyn a allodd hwn, Efe a'i gwnaeth' (Mark 14: 8 – She hath done what she could) on the grave of Private Robert Charles Williams.
- Panel 5 from the exhibition at the National Slate Museum, Llanberis which shows the letter dated 30 August 1969 from the Managing Director announcing the closure of the quarry.
- Dispensary drawers from chemist in Llanberis, early 20th century
- Fly-through of laser-scanning point cloud of Level 2 of the Vivian Slate Quarry, Llanberis
- Quarrymen cutting slate at Llanberis
Llanberis Girls' Choir at the Eisteddfod, 1978 - on the People's Collection Wales site