Llandegai / Llandygái
"LLANDEGAI (Llandygái) , a parish in the hundred of Uchaf, county Carnarvon, 1 mile E. of Bangor, its post town and nearest railway station, and 10 miles from Carnarvon. It is situated near the coast, to the N.W. of Snowdon, and includes the townships of Coed-y-Park, Port Penrhyn, and Trer-Garth. The surface is mountainous, including the peaks of Carnedd Llewelyn and Carnedd Davydd, above 3,000 feet high. In 1648 a battle was fought near this spot between Sir John Owen, of Clenenney, and Colonel Mytton, at the head of the parliamentary army, in which the former was taken prisoner. The Bangor and Holyhead line of railway here crosses the valley of the Ogwen, a little to the left of the village, on a lofty viaduct. In this parish are extensive quarries of roofing-slate, employing above 2,000 workmen; they have been wrought for nearly a century:; and in other parts are minerals, including copper, iron, lead, manganese, zinc, &c." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Caffell, Gwenno. Cerrig Cannan, Llandegai and Llanllechid. Archaeology in Wales 28 (1988), p. 85-6
- Douglas Pennant, E H. The Pennants of Penrhyn : a genealogical history of the Pennant family of Clarendon, Jamaica, and Penrhyn Castle. Bethesda : Gwasg Ffrancon, 1982. 53p
- Hughes, Hugh D. Antiquities of Llandegai and Llanllechid (Hynafiaethau Llandegai a Llanllechid), Bethesda : Argraphwyd dros yr awdwr gan R. Jones, 1866. 160p
- National Trust. Penrhyn Castle, Bangor, Caernarvonshire. [London] : National Trust,  16p
- Owen, Robert. Hanes dechreuad a chynydd y Methodistiaid Calfinaidd ym mhlwyfydd Llanllechyd a Llandegai. Bangor : arg. gan Evan Williams, . 144p
- Parry, William. Hanes llenyddiaeth ac enwogion Llanllechid a Llandegai : sef, Traethawd buddugol yn Eisteddfod Gadeiriol Bethesda, 1867. Bangor : Argraffwyd gan J. Mendus Jones, 1868. 123p
- The stranger's best guide to Bangor, Penrhyn Castle and the slate quarries, and through the most picturesque scenery of Carnarfonshire. Bangor : T. Catherall,  72p
Transcriptions of memorials from all cemeteries are available from Gwynedd FHS. Transcriptions include maps of the cemeteries which can be used to aid in locating graves.
- Eglwys St. Tegai, Llandegai - Church currently open. Cemetery is accessible (modern portion maintained in superior state to older portion)
- Eglwys Tanysgrafell, Bethesda - Church long since abandoned and is a ruin in amongst the trees. Graves are generally accessible with some difficulty.
- Eglwys St. Ann (Capel), Mynydd Llandegai - Church/Chapel abandoned and in deteriorating state of repair. Cemetery is accessible (modern portion maintained in superior state to older portion)
- Eglwys St. Mair / St. Mary's (Y Gelli), Tregarth - Church currently open. Cemetery is accessible
1851 Census of Llandegai. A full transcription by Joyce & Douglas Hinde in both "As Enumerated" and "Surname Order" form.
|St Ann, Mynydd Llandegai|
|St Mair's Church, Mynydd Llandygai|
|St Mary (Y Gelli), Tregarth|
|St Tegai, Llandegai|
|Capel Amana, Mynydd Llandegai (Independent)|
|Capel Chwarelgoch, Tregarth|
|Capel Shiloh, Tregarth (Wesleyan)|
|Hermon Chapel, Mynydd Llandygai|
|Peniel Chapel, Mynydd Llandygai|
|Penygroes Chapel, Tregarth|
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Llandegai Parish; Statistics; Area 16100 acres; Population 1782 males, 1616 females, total 3398
St. Julitta's Chapel. See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph
"Until 1848, Capel Curig formed a chapelry in the parish of Llandegai but was administered by the priest from Dolwyddelan. with the growing number of visitors to Capel Curig in the 19th century the old church became too small to accommodate the congregation and a new church was opened in 1883. The new church was dedicated to St. Curig, the boy martyr and the dedication of the old church was then changed to St. Julitta - Curig's mother".
Gwynedd FHS currently hold a copy of Bishops transcripts for St. Julitta's chapel in their library - C959 The Church of St Julitta's : Bishops Transcripts 1754-1838 in the parish of Llandegai.
Account Book of the Society for the Assistance of Church Causes in Llandegai 1878-1907 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales Essay : a history of the characters involved in the Congregational cause at Llandegai Early 20th century - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales " An essay presented to W.J. Parry at the Bethlehem Literary Meeting. It is a history of the characters who were at the forefront of the Caegwigyn and Bethlehem Congregational causes in Llandegai..."
Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Amana chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (Sept 2009)
Llandegai Church - on the People's Collection Wales site
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at the Caernarfon Area Record Office.
Journey to the past - Penrhyn Castle & Quarry
People's Collection Wales site - photographs of Penrhyn Castle, Llandygai
Mynydd Llandegai - on Wikipedia
Penrhyn Castle - on the People's Collection Wales site
Llandegai - on wikipedia
Various landscapes - on the People's Collection Wales site
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Llandegai / Llandygái to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Llandegai / Llandygái has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Llandegai Village - on the People's Collection Wales site
Hanes Dyffryn Ogwen by John Ll. Williams and Lowri W. Williams - A truly outstanding collection of discussions on the history of Dyffryn Ogwen/Ogwen Valley (Llanllechid/Llandegai). The information is likely to be of great interest to genealogists - it includes images/scans from old books and documents as well as local expertize on a wide range of topics. Regularly updated with new posts. [The website and discussions are in Welsh - use of online translation websites should be of help, otherwise websites such as Rootschat or local Gwynedd history groups on Facebook usually have members willing to translate short sections]
Carr, A D. Gwilym ap Gruffydd and the rise of the Penrhyn Estate. (NLW's site) Welsh History Review 15
Warrant of Apprehension of Harvey Jones of Braich y Cafn, quarryman, accused of assaulting Jane Jones of Kil Gerraint, pa[rish] Llandegai [Llandygái]. dd 12 Jan 1795 - on the People's Collection Wales site
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH651644 (Lat/Lon: 53.159519, -4.019752), Llandegai / Llandygái which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Llandegai Parish Settlement and Removal Papers etc. 1821-1824 March 16 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
John Morris Poetry and Essays [1920s] - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"Three poems and two essays on the subject of place-names in Llanllechid and industries in Llanllechid and Llandegai.."