"LLANENGAN, a parish in the hundred of Commitmaen, county Carnarvon, 7 miles S.W. Pwllheli, its post town. It is situated on the south-eastern coast, having Porth Nigel, or "Hell's Mouth" bay on the W., and St. Tudwall's islands lying off the eastern side. The neighbourhood is hilly. Lead is obtained here. In 1839 the Transit was wrecked on the E. side of the bay. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bangor, £450, in the patronage of the Bishop of Llandaff. The church, dedicated to St. Einion, is a structure of the 16th century, recently restored by Mr. Kennedy. It contains a richly carved screen, which for beauty of design is unequalled in Wales. The charities amount to about £6 per annum. Here are remains of ancient camps, and on St. Tudwall's island ruins of an old chapel." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Bennett, John. Metal mines of Llanengan : mining ventures in a North Wales parish. Warrington : Gwydyr Mines Publications, 2002. 149p
- Capel Newydd, Bwlch, Llanengan : hanes dechreuad, cynydd, ac agwedd bresenol Methodistiath yn y plwyf, ynghyd ag adroddiad cyflawn am y Capel Newydd. Pwllheli : Argraphwyd gan R. Owen, [1873?] 48p
- Evans, Evan. Methodistiaeth Llanengan : sef, hanes ... y Methodistiaid Calfinaidd yn mhlwyf Llanengan, ... at yr hyn yr ychwanegwyd adroddiad cyflawn am y capel newydd. Pwllheli : R. Owen,  48p
- Jones, W L. Y ddwylan : a summary of the history of the churches of Llanengan and Llangian. Abersoch : W. L. Jones, [1973?] 12p
|Aber-Soch Welsh Independent Chapel, Abersoch|
|Bwlchtocyn Welsh Independent Chapel, Bwlchtocyn|
|Capel Newydd Welsh Independent Chapel, Gwinllan|
|Horeb Welsh Independent Chapel, Mynytho|
|Bwlch Chapel, Llanengan|
|Cilan Chapel (Bethlehem), Cilan|
|Nant Chapel, Nanhoron|
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Llanengan Parish; Statistics; Area 4354 acres; Population 508 males, 601 females, total 1109
Evan Evans, Llanengan Diaries 1846-1900 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
"..... author of a book on the history of Methodism in Llanengan, published in 1873 entitled, Methodistiaeth Llanengan : sef, hanes y Methodistiaid Calfinaidd yn mhlwyf Llanengan ...."
LLANENGAN PARISH CHURCH;ST ENGAN'S CHURCH - on the People's Collection Wales site
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at the Caernarfon Area Record Office.
Bwlchtocyn, Llanengan (Congregational) Chapel Baptist Register 1813-1839 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Llanengan to another place.
Jones, Caradog, o Mynytho, papurau (papers) 1708-1979 (mainly 1824-1979) - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales "Caradog Jones (fl. 1915-1978) of Mynytho, Llanengan was Secretary of the Lleyn Branch of the Workers' Educational Association (WEA)........."
You can see the administrative areas in which Llanengan has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Dwylan estate, Llanengan, papers 1745-1871
"During the 19th century, Dwylan was held by Thomas Williams, surgeon, the son of William Thomas (1772-1853) of Pwllheli, architect......"
- William Lloyd Jones Papers 1881- (mainly 1881-1887) " ...... relating to his sale of Bryn-y-Gloch in Tudweiliog, Bryntirion in Llanengan and Ty Newydd in Pistyll....."
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH294259 (Lat/Lon: 52.803921, -4.532376), Llanengan which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
NATIONAL SCHOOL, LLANENGAN - on the People's Collection Wales site