Llanfair Is Gaer - Gazetteers
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"BRYNFFYNON, a village in the parish of Llanfair-is-Gaer, hundred of Is-Gorfai, in the county of Carnarvon, North Wales, 2 miles to the N.E. of Carnarvon. It is seated on the Menai Straits, near the Bangor and Carnarvon branch railway."
"DINORWIC, (or Dinorwig, Port), in the parish of Llanfair-is-Gaer, in the county of Carnarvon, 2½ miles N.E. of Carnarvon. It is situated on the Menai Straits. The slate quarry, 9 miles by railway from the Straits, employs 1,000 men."
"PORT-DINORWIG, a small harbour in the parish of Llanfair-is-Gaer, county Carnarvon, 2 miles N.E. of Carnarvon. It is a station on the Bangor and Carnarvon branch of the Chester and Holyhead railway. It is situated in the Menai Straits, and has a small pier, where slates are shipped from the neighbouring quarries."[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
A Topographical Dictionary of Wales Samuel Lewis, 1833LLANVAIRISGAER (LLAN-VAIR-IS-GAER), a parish in the hundred of ISGORVAI county of CARNARVON, NORTH WALES, 3 miles (N. N. E.) from Carnarvon, containing 379 inhabitants. This parish, which derives its name from the dedication of its church to St. Mary, and its position below an ancient fortress, is situated on the Menai strait, and on the high road from Bangor to Carnarvon. The Romans under the conduct of Agricola are said to have forded the Menai from the shore of this parish to that of Llanidan, on their march to the reduction of Anglesey : there are still some remains of a Roman intrenchment, and vestiges of the road formed by that general may be clearly traced within the parish. The regularity of the surface is boldly broken by abrupt and rocky eminences ; the lands are partially enclosed and cultivated, and the soil, though varied, is not unproductive. The surrounding scenery is strikingly bold ; and the views from the higher grounds, embracing a tract of richly varied country to the east, and the fine bay of Carnarvon on the west, are interesting and extensive. Copper ore is found throughout the whole of the rocky district of the parish, but not in quantities sufficient to induce any adventurer to open mines, or to establish any regular works for procuring it. The situation of this place is highly advantageous for commerce : within the parish is Port Dinorwig, the shipping-place for the produce of the slate quarries in the adjoining parish of Llandeiniolen, from which it is brought to this place by a rail-road seven miles in length. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Bangor, endowed with £600 royal bounty, and £200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Bishop of Bangor. The church, which occupies a beautiful and sequestered spot on the eastern bank of the Menai, though small, is a neat and venerable structure, in the later style of English architecture; and is kept in good repair. The interest arising from several charitable donations and bequests, amounting in the aggregate to £ 147, is annually distributed in winter clothing to the poor. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor amounts to £175. 16.
PORT-DINORWIGPORT-DINORWIG, a small port, in the parish of LLANVAIRISGAER, hundred of ISGORVAI, county of CARNARVON, NORTH WALES, 3 1/2 miles (N. N. E.) from Carnarvon : the population is returned with the parish. This place, anciently called " Aber Pwll," is situated on the Menai strait, and has a small and commodious, harbour, accessible at high water to vessels of one hundred tons' burden. It forms a convenient shipping - place for the produce of the slate mines in the parish of Llandeiniolen, from which a rail - road, seven miles in length, extending from the quarries to this place, was constructed in 1824, for the conveyance of the slates, of which not less than twenty thousand tons are annually shipped at this port. The harbour, which has been recently enlarged, is capable of accommodating thirty vessels, which may lie here in safety while waiting for their freight, and the quay has been greatly improved.
(Copied using Cd published by Archive CD Books