Nefyn / Nevin


"NEFYN, (or Nevyn), a parish, market town, and borough, in the hundred of Dinlaen, county Carnarvon, 6 miles from Pwllheli, and 18 S. W. of Carnarvon. It is a small but improving town, situated among the hills on the coast, and under Mount Rivel. About a mile to the S. is the well-sheltered harbour of Porth, situated in a sandy bay, and conjectured to have been frequented by the Romans, on account of strong entrenchments in the vicinity still visible, and various Roman urns discovered in the adjoining parish of Llaniestin. Edward I. held a grand triumphal festival here in 1284, to celebrate the conquest of Wales. It was made a free borough by Edward the Black Prince, but never obtained any considerable degree of prosperity. It has no manufactures, and but little trade, the chief import being coal." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]


Church History

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Nevin Parish and Borough; Statistics; Area 1816 acres; Population 787 males, 1067 females, total 1854

  • Nevyn Parish Church                 Attendance - morning 35, afternoon 43 scholars, evening 58                Services in Welsh              Wm Jones, Incumbent
  • Zoar, Independent           Erected 1827            Attendance - morning 42 scholars, afternoon 60, evening 80            Joseph Morris, Minister, Plasnewydd, nr Pwllheli
  • Seion, Vron, Baptist          Erected before 1800   Not a separate building         Attendance - morning 60 scholars, afternoon 200, evening 304            Thomas Hughes, Minister
  • Club House, Baptist (Particular)              Erected c 1841    "Used for a day school, singing concerts and other good causes"          Attendance - morning 12 + 8 scholars, afternoon school, evening 22 + 8 scholars         "In case that there is many different denominations which calls themselves Baptists in England and Wales, it must be understood that we belong to the Particular Baptists"   William Roberts, Baptist Preacher, Vron
  • Moriah, Wesleyan Methodists              Erected 1804          Attendance - morning 106 scholars, afternoon 157, evening 180               "There was another Meeting half past four, a Temperance Meeting with 303 present"                  Robert Williams, Leader, Shoe Maker
  • Capel yr Ardd Fawr, Calvinistic Methodists              Erected 1790                   Attendance - afternoon 410, evening 314                William Roberts, Deacon, Draper

          Diary of Rev. Robert Owen, Nefyn  1835 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
          "Diary consisting of details of the preaching appointments of Robert Owen as well as references to his journeys in north Wales"

          • Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Morfa (Tabernacl) chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation          Also Nefyn chapel  (with translation by Eleri Rowlands)

           ST MARYS CHURCH, NEFYN - on the People's Collection Wales site


          Church Records

          Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at the Caernarfon Area Record Office.

          Eglwys Moreia [CM], Morfa Nefyn cofysgrifau (records) 1859-1994 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales     "Yn 1825 neu 1826 adeiladwyd ysgoldy ar gyfer yr Ysgol Sul a sefydlwyd ym Morfa Nefyn yn gynnar yn y bedwaredd ganrif ar bymtheg. Tyfodd yr Ysgol Sul i'r fath raddau nes penderfynwyd sefydlu eglwys yn y pentref, ac adeiladwyd capel yno yn 1853 neu 1854. Adeiladwyd y capel presennol yn 1882 gyferbyn â safle'r hen adeilad a chodwyd 'Capel Pren' i addoli ynddo tra adeiladwyd y capel newydd"


          Description & Travel

          Penllyn site - Nefyn Community page

          Lleyn Historical and Maritime Museum, Nefyn - on the Penllyn site

          Nefyn Castle - on Castle Wales

          Morfa Nefyn - on Wikipedia

          Various landscapes/seascapes - on the People's Collection Wales site

          You can see pictures of Nefyn / Nevin which are provided by:





          Nefyn Mariners - on the Rhiw.com site   "Mariners that were buried (Or a memorial) at Nefyn public cemetery, up to 1991"


          Historical Geography

          You can see the administrative areas in which Nefyn / Nevin has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



          Various items  - on the People's Collection Wales  site

          • A view of Nefyn from Iorwerth Villa, c. 1885 
          • Beach, Nefyn with Yr Eifl in the background (1896)

          Law & Legislation

          Depositions taken before John Parry.   -William Morgan, Edern, yeoman, aged about 40, states that John Owen, Llaniestyn, on the 24th day of March 1651 at Nevyn, did beat one Hugh Lewis 'with a cudgel upon his head and arms, and that the said cudgel broke with the said blows'. Lewis ap Evan, Edern, yeoman, aged about 50 states that John Owen, at Nevyn on the aforementioned day, did beat Hugh Lewis about the head 'with a great cudgel'.dd 24 March 1652  - on the People's Collection Wales  site



          Gwynedd Family History Society  have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Caernarfonshire (under Parishes)

           Nefyn in the County of Carnarvon   - on the People's Collection Wales  site

          You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH307396 (Lat/Lon: 52.927324, -4.519887), Nefyn / Nevin which are provided by:


          Merchant Marine

          Coastguard's Journal, North Wales  1880 January 1- December 31 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
          "In 1880, the coastguard, Thomas John Thomas operated along the north Wales coast around Nefyn, Porth Dinllaen, Porth Golmon and Aberdaron ................"

          Photographs of Nefyn ships.  Late 19th century - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
          "11 photographs of paintings of Nefyn ships, namely : Brigantine Milo Nanhoron Revival - schooner built and owned at Nefyn Jane and Catherine - schooner Elizabeth - schooner built at Pwllheli and owned at Nefyn Howri Vine - schooner built at Pwllheli and owned at Nefyn Vine Commodore - schooner built at Nefyn and owned at Nefyn Mary Reynolds Mary Elizabeth."



          Fishing, Nefyn 1907 - on the People's Collection Walessite


          Public Records

          Llyn and Eifionydd Highways Accounts  1899-1906 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
          "2 highways account books for the Llyn and Eifionydd areas of Caernarfonshire. They reflect the effort involved in the maintenance of country roads and contain place and personal names connected to Pwllheli and Nefyn"

          Pwllheli and Nefyn Light Railway Papers 1903-1907 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
          "Papers relating to a proposal to construct a light railway from Pwllheli to Nefyn and Porth Dinllaen...... "




          NEVIN FORMER BRITISH SCHOOL  - on the People's Collection Wales  site


          Social Life & Customs

          Nefyn Football Team, 1904 - on the People's Collection Wales site