"PENRHOS, a parish in the hundred of Gafflogian, county Carnarvon, 3 miles from Pwllheli, its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the coast. Mr. Williams's hounds meet here. The living is a curacy annexed to the perpetual curacy of Abereirch, in the diocese of Bangor. The church is dedicated to St. Cyncoyl. The tithes were commuted in 1840." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Annand, David. RAF Penrhos near Pwllheli 1937-45 and RAF Llandwrog near Caernarvon 1940-45. Tywyn : David Annand, 1986. 36p
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Penrhos Parish; Statistics; Area 555 acres; Population 58 males, 54 females, total 112
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at the Caernarfon Area Record Office.
Aerial photograph of Penrhos Airfield, near Pwllheli, c 2000 - on the People's Collection Wales site
PENRHOS (PEN-RHOS), a parish in the hundred of GAFLOGION, Lleyn division of the county of CARNARVON, NORTH WALES, 2 miles (W. S. W.) from Pwllheli, containing 112 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the western shore of Cardigan bay, is but of very moderate extent, comprising only a small, portion of arable and pasture land, with some common : in many parts of it the soil is poor and sandy, and a considerable portion of the land will scarcely repay the labour and expense of cultivation. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Abereirch, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Bangor. The church, dedicated to St. Cynwyl, is a very small edifice, with a thatched roof, The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £29. 1. (A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Penrhos to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Penrhos has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH351341 (Lat/Lon: 52.879413, -4.451738), Penrhos which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)