RHIW, a parish in the hundred of COMMITMAEN, Lleyn division of the county of CARNARVON, NORTH WALES, 11 miles (W. S. W.) from Pwllheli, containing 358 inhabitants. This place derives its name, signifying the ascent of a hill, from its situation on the acclivity of Mynydd Rhiw, a lofty eminence which rises above the village to an elevation of one thousand and thirteen feet above the level of the sea. The parish, which extends across the isthmus of Lleyn, is situated on the western shore of the bay called Porthnigel, in the great bay of Cardigan, and comprises a considerable portion of arable and pasture land, of which about two-thirds are ancient enclosure, and the remainder, which is mountainous, was enclosed by an act for that purpose, in the year 1811. The soil, in the lower grounds, is a stiff clay, and in the higher lands gravelly, producing fine crops of barley and oats, and excellent grass ; and the enclosed commons afford good pasturage for sheep and young cattle. The surrounding scenery is pleasingly diversified, and is somewhat enlivened by several small rivulets, which run through the parish. From the summit of Mynydd Rhiw the prospect is strikingly beautiful, embracing the whole range of the mountains of Snowdon, and extending over Cardigan bay, St. George's channel, and a great part of South Wales. Plas Rhiw, for many generations the seat of the family of Lewis, and now the property and residence of Lewis Moor Bennet, Esq., is an ancient and handsome mansion, pleasantly situated, and comprehending within the grounds some pleasing and picturesque scenery. Manganese, of very superior quality, abounds in the parish : the vein in which it lies was first discovered in 1827, and has been worked since that time with very great success : about fifty persons are now employed in procuring it, the produce being principally sent to the Liverpool market. The living is a rectory, with the perpetual curacy of Llandudwen annexed, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Bangor, rated in the king's books at £6.14. 9 1/2., endowed with £ 200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Bishop of Bangor. The church, dedicated to St. Aelrhiw, is an ancient and spacious cruciform structure, in the early style of English architecture, and is in good repair. There is a place of worship for Independents, with a burial-ground attached. A school for the gratuitous instruction of poor children is held every fourth year in this parish, in rotation with that of Bryncroes, in which the tenement is situated which forms the endowment, and those of Aberdaron and Llanvaelrhys. Some land in the parish, now, producing £4 per annum, was bequeathed for keeping the church in repair. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £ 111. 41 (A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)
Ask for a calculation of the distance from Rhiw to another place.
Click here for a list of nearby places.
You can see the
administrative areas in which Rhiw has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Caernarfonshire (under Parishes)
Parish of Rhiw in Carnarvonshire - on the People's Collection Wales site
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH230285 (Lat/Lon: 52.824781, -4.627948), Rhiw which are provided by: