The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"ABERPORTH, a parish in the hundred of Troedyraur, in the county of Cardigan, South Wales, 6 miles N.E. of Cardigan. It is situated on the shore of Cardigan Bay, in a cove near the mouth of the river Howny. There are some small craft belonging to the village, which are employed in the carriage of limestone from Carmarthen and Pembroke; and of coal from Glamorgan and Liverpool. Others are employed in the bay fishery. Cribach Roads, off this village, afford good shelter for ships, and in time of war have been frequently resorted to by the French. The surrounding district is hilly, and has several rapid streams, of which the principal is the Howny. The church, which is of considerable antiquity, is very small and plain, not exceeding 45 feet in length, by 22 in breadth. It stands on a hill about a mile from the village. The font is a square basin, supported by a round pillar. The living is a rectory, value £100, in the diocese of St. David's and in the patronage of the bishop."
"LLANANNERCH, a hamlet in the parish of Aberporth, county Cardigan, 6 miles N.E. of Cardigan."
"RECTORIAL, a hamlet in the parish of Aberporth, county Cardigan, 7 miles N.W. of Newcastle-in-Emlyn."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018