Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Newspaper extracts for Aberystwyth

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Newspaper extracts for Aberystwyth

There are many references to this area in the 15 million Welsh and English language articles from Welsh newspapers transcribed by the NLW and viewable on Welsh Newspapers Online
Below are English language articles that have been re-transcribed and extracted randomly to illustrate what is available, there are many that are not extracted here that include names of local people

  •  From the The Cardiff Times 21st September 1872

ABERYSTWYTH. THE UNIVERSITY COLLEGE FOR WALES.—The Univerity will be opened on the 9th of next month. The Rev. J. H. Abrahall, M. A vicar of Coombe, near Woodstock, and late Fellow of Lincoln College, Oxford, has been appointed Classical Professor, and the Rev. W. H. Grimley, M A., head-master of Shipton Grammar School, Yorkshire, and twelfth Wrangler, will be the Mathematical Professor.

  • From The Cambrian News and Merionethshire Standard  21st January 1871

ABERYSTWYTH. GOGERDDAN ESTATE RENT AUDIT.—The half-year's rents of this estate were received and audited at the Gogerddan Arms Hotel, at Aberystwyth, on Thursday, the 19th inst. About half-past one p.m. the tenants, numbering about 300, were summoned to dine in the Ball Room erected at the rear of the hotel. The tables were well laid out, as usual, doing credit to the hostess, Mrs Barlow. H. C. Fryer, Esq., of Lodge Park, presided, Mr Evan Killin, the oldest tenant occupying the vice-chair.Mr Fryer, in proposing the health of the landlord, Sir Pryse Pryse, Bart., said that he was commissioned by him to give them liberty to kill the rabbits on their farms, by themselves, servants, or others, during the next two months of February and March, by ferrets and nets. At the same time he was to tell them not to encourage poachers. He was also requested by Sir Pryse Pryse, Col. E. L. Pryse, and the Gogerddan family, to say that they had looked into the charge made against Mr William Jones, of Aberceiro, some time ago, and have found that he was not in the least connected therewith, and that his character stood as high as ever in their estimation.

  •  from The Cambrian News and Merionethshire Standard 4th March 1871

ABERYSTWYTH. ST. DAVID'S DAY AT ABERYSTWYTH. The memorable first of March was duly honoured in Aberystwyth by its patriotic residents, and in the evening many of the principal inhabitants joined in a really social gathering at the Talbot Hotel, where a sumptuous dinner was prepared for the occasion by the host, Mr J. R. Jones. About eighty gentlemen were present, almost everyone wearing the symbolic leek. The Mayor (Thos. Jones, Esq.), presided, and the vice chairs were ably filled by Mr David Roberts, brewer, Mr G. T. Smith, and Capt. Cumberland. Grace was said by the Rev. E. O. Phillips, the vicar. ...... (part extract)...........

  •  From The Cambrian News and Merionethshire Standard  5th May 1871

ABERYSTWYTH. THE CENSUS.—The recent census shows that the number of inhabited houses is 1,309 uninhabited, 53; building, 7.  The population is made up of 2,912 males, and 3,779 females, making a total of 6,691. From these statistics it will be seen that there is an excess of 867 females over males. The large number of women in Aberystwyth is accounted for by the absence of seamen. The census of 1861 showed a population of 5,561, which, contrasted with 6,691, the present population, gives an increase during the past ten years of 1,130, or above 20 per cent. The School Board census, taken about three months ago, showed a population of 6,901, or an advance of 210 upon the present census. This disparity is accounted for by the fact that, when the educational census was taken, the parliamentary borough boundaries were taken. A return is to be made, supplementary to the return we have given, showing the number of persons residing outside the municipal and inside the parliamentary limits, which will doubtless make up the deficiency between the returns.

  • From  The Cambrian News and Merionethshire Standard 12th May 1871

 ABERYSTWYTH. THE DRAPERS' HALF HOLIDAY ABANDONED.- It Was rather a surprise to many to hear Mr Roberts, our town crier, going round on Tuesday, announcing that all the drapers in the place had come to an agreement to abolish the half holiday granted by them to the young men in their employ every Friday afternoon. As a substitute for that an arrangement has been effected, whereby the shops shall be closed at eight every evening until further notice. Undoubtedly this is a much better plan than the one originally suggested, and for a fortnight acted upon, as the closing of all the shops every Friday afternoon would be inconvenient to the inhabitants and visitors Still it is gratifying to learn that, although the closing of the shops for half a day has been abandoned, the interests of the young men have not escaped the attention of their  employers.

  •  From The Cambrian News and Merionethshire Standard (Contents) 23rd June 1871

ABERYSTWYTH. EXCURSION.—On Tuesday a steamer arrived here bringing a large number of excursionists from Cardigan. On landing a procession was formed, headed by the Cardigan Fife Band, which played extremely well, and marched through all the principal streets. The party seemed to enjoy themselves very much, and we cannot forbear here bearing testimony to the courteous and gentlemanly conduct which characterised the whole number, contrasting, as it does, most favourably with the behaviour of some parties who visit the town.

  •  From The Cambrian News and Merionethshire Standard (TOC) 2nd May 1873

ABERYSTWYTH. THE MANCHESTER AND MILFORD RAILWAY BILL was, on Thursday, April 24th, before Lord Redesdale for the committee stage as unopposed. The objects of this Bill are to construct a branch line to Devil's Bridge, and to build a separate station at Aberystwyth.

  •  From The Cambrian News and Merionethshire Standard 1st December 1871

ABERYSTWYTH. THE UNIVERSITY COLLEGE FOR WALES.- We are pleased in being able to direct attention to the efforts now being made in Aberystwyth to raise a certain sum towards the guarantee fund for payment of professors, and thus to ensure the opening of the college at an early date. A list of subscribers is published in our advertising columns this week. The conference at Aberystwyth has interfered with the continuation of canvassing this week but there are about eighty more residents to be called upon, and it is expected that the total amount will soon reach £400 in Aberystwyth alone

  •  From The Cambrian News and Merionethshire Standard (1873 Almanack) 20th June 1873

ABERYSTWYTH. BEGGING.—At the police station, on June 16th (before the Mayor) David Evans, a tramp, was charged with begging on Saturday night, June 14th.-Sentenced to fourteen days' imprisonment, with hard labour.

DRUNKENNESS.—Charles Lewis was charged at the House of Correction, on June 17th, with having been drunk and incapable on the 16th. The Mayor fined him 5s.—John Evans, Penparkan, was also fined 5s. for having been drunk and disorderly on the previous night, June 16th.—John Stainforth was fined 5s., and costs, for drunkenness; and Alex. Gilmore was subjected to a similar penalty for having in like manner offended.

  •  From The Cambrian News and Merionethshire Standard (TOC)  27th June 1873

ABERYSTWYTH. HOSPITAL SUNDAY IN CARDIGANSHIRE.—Mr E. L. Cole, secretary to the Infirmary, has received the undermentioned sums, collected for the benefit of the Infirmary on Sunday, the 18th May.—St. Michael's, Aberystwyth, £18 8s. 7d. Llanilar church £ 7 0s. 6d.; English congregational chapel, Aberystwyth £ 5 9s. Tabernacle, Welsh Methodists, £4 4s. 3d. Bethel Welsh Baptist, £4 4s. 4d. English Baptists, £3 5s. 6d.; English Wesleyans £3 5s. 0; Welsh Wesleyans, £3 3s, 6d. St Mary's (Welsh) church, £ 3 0s. 0d. English Calvanistic Methodists, £ 2 12s. 2d. Chapel Bangor church, £2 10s. 2d.; Llanychaiarn church, £2 Os. 3d. Llanrhystrid church £2 0s. 0d. Penllwyn chapel, £2 0s. 0d.; Tregaron church, £1 9s. 2d. Llangorwen church £l 3s. 4d.; Llancynfelin church, £1 0s. 0d. Yspytty Cynfyn church, £1 0s. 0d. Llanfihangel-y- Creuddyn church, 15s. 1d.  Saron, Llanbadam, 10s 6d. Soar, 5s. 6d.. The returns of several churches and chapels have not yet been received

  •  From The Cambrian News and Merionethshire Standard 12th March 1870

ABERYSTWYTH. IMPORTANT TO OWNERS OF DOGS.—It may be as well that owners of dogs should know that the 31st inst., is the last day to pay for dog licenses for this year. If not paid on or before that day the law will take its course.

PROPOSED NEW CORN MARKET.—The subject of building a new Market-hall for the town, which had been for a long time commending itself to the notice of the inhabitants, has at last come under consideration. The present building is so unbecoming and dilapidated in appearance that it is discreditable to the town. If the Market-hall should be erected in the neighbourhood of the new slaughter- house, as it was rumoured, it would put the town to great disadvantage. We are informed that Mr Roderick Williams has applied to Colonel Powell, of Nanteos, for permission to form a limited liability company, with shares to the amount of about £ 1,300, and to rebuild the present Market-hall, raising it considerably higher. The plans, we believe, are highly approved. About £500 has already been promised towards carrying them out.

  • From The Cambrian News and Merionethshire Standard  7th May 1870

ABERYSTWYTH. LOSS OF THE SCHOONER WILLIAM AND MARY.—This fine schooner, belonging to this port, commanded by Captain William James, son of Mrs James, of Queen-street, as appears from an account given in a letter from one of the crew, left the port of Portmadoc on the 18th ult., bound for Hamburg, with a cargo of slate, and after sailing for several days very pleasantly, the weather being fine, with the exception of a thick fog which surrounded them at times, about noon on Tuesday, the 26th ult., when near some dangerous banks, they saw at a little distance off a red buoy. The vessel was immediately hauled head north- ward, and in a few seconds she struck heavily. Both anchors were put down at once, with a view of preventing the schooner from going further on the bank, as the tide was down at the time. The anchors held well, and the vessel floated freely. All sail was then set, and the vessel proceeded out to sea, with the ensign flying jack down, and the jack up on the foremast to draw the attention of pilots. During this time all hands were engaged in pumping and throwing some of the cargo overboard in order to lighten the vessel. About three o'clock in the afternoon a pilot boat came alongside of them, when Captain James solicited their assistance for the purpose of attempting to steer to the nearest port, but the pilot would not stop on board, saying that the vessel would not keep afloat much longer, and begged the crew to leave it and save their lives, seeing no alternative but to take to the pilot's boat, as the water was filling in very fast. About half-past three the crew left the schooner, and in about half an hour afterwards she disappeared, and went down head foremost. The crew remained in the boat all night in a very exhausted state, and were landed the following morning on Tershelling Island, where they were very kindly treated, and were expecting, when the letter was written, to get a passage across with the steamer from that place to London.

  • From The Cambrian News and Merionethshire Standard 21st May 1870

ABERYSTWYTH. PHANTOSCOPIC ENTERTAINMENT. -On Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday evenings last, Messrs Poole and Young gave their entertainment at the Temperance Hall, to crowded audiences. Professor Pepper's new patented illusion, entitled "Proteus, or, We are here, but not here," and an adaptation of Schiller's beautiful poem, "The storm of thoughts," as well as an adaptation of Charles Dickens's "Haunted man," were exhibited in capital style, causing much astonishment amongst the audience.

REVIEW OF THE MILITIA.-On Friday, the 13th inst., the members of the Royal Cardigan Militia were reviewed on their parade ground by the Hon. Colonel John Jocelyn Burke, one of her Majesty's government inspectors of militia for the southern district. The regiment, including the band and the commissioned and non-commissioned officers, mustered above 200. The men, as a body, appeared in admirable trim. They were minutely inspected for some hours in the yard adjoining the militia depôt, where their kit and accoutrements were carefully examined, and the lord-lieutenant of the county and his officers were afforded an opportunity of informing the reviewing officer in regard to any subject connected with the organization of the regiment.—Colonel Burke, after the ordinary exercises had been gone through to his evident satisfaction, addressed the officers and men of the regiment in very complimentary terms, and expressed his utmost satisfaction with the general discipline and appearance of the men. It may not be out of place here to observe that the conduct of the militia during the training has been most exemplary.

  •  From The Aberystwith Observer 26th January 1905

ABERYSTWYTH.  GUIDE TO THE TOWN AND LOCALITY Aberystwyth stands in the centre of the coast of Cardigan Bay, at the mouth of the Ystwyth and the Rheidol. It has been called the Queen of Welsh Watering Places the Brighton of Wales, the Biarritz of Wales, and many other names, none oi which are more appropriate than its own name, Aberystwyth.It is sheltered by hills from the north and east winds, and is open to the sea, with warm water from the Gulf Stream and health-giving breezes. Even in winter the heaviest gales are tempered by warmth from the Atlantic.

THE SEA. To visitors from the large towns and the country the sea is of course the chief attraction and possibly the sea and the shore at Aberystwyth will compare favorable with those of any other watering place. When not disturbed by storms the water is remarkably clear, and frequently the bottom can be seen at a depth of some yards. The beach is formed of shingle and sand, the former predominating. It comprises blue stone, which is pleasing to the eye. There is a gradual slope, so that the water seldom recedes a hundred yards from high water mark, which is very different from what is found in some parts of the country, where the sea goes out a mile. There are many fine specimens of weeds on the reefs.

THE PROMENADES. There are two promenades, the original extending from the pier northward to Craiglais a distance of half-a-mile, and forming a beautiful crescent, or rather two crescents, whilst the new promenade, only recently opened by the Earl of Powis, runs from the  pier southward to the harbour, a distance of another half-a-mile, with a continuation of the roadway for nearly another half-a-mile to the harbour breakwater. The extension passes in front or the beautiful buildings of the University College of Wales, probably the finest building in VVales, and around the north and west sides of the Castle grounds. The wall at some parts is twenty-eight feet high. The stones were brought from the Corporation quarry at Ystrad Meurig, and were described by the late Alderman Pethick, Plymouth—whose firm have constructed railways and docks, and recently widened London Bridge -a s the finest he has ever seen. The dashing of the waves against the walls, and especially against the bastions, and the splashing of the water over to the promenade, is one of the grandest sights imaginable. In front of the Marine terrace is a wide flagged promenade, where townspeople and visitors mostly congregate, especially in the evenings, the band being a great attraction.

AS A HEALTH RESORT. For considerably over a hundred years the town has had a high reputation as a health resort, and that reputation is fully maintained, for far more people have visited the place this summer than in any previous season. In the words of Mr T. O. Morgan, barrister-at- law, in his admirable Guide, long since out of print: — "To those who for health and recreation seek a summer retreat, where they may sojourn and enjoy for a season the beneficial effects of sea air and sea bathing, the western coast of our island seems peculiarly inviting in as much as westerly breezes are softer than those from any other quarter, and here come direct from the ocean, impregnated with those saline and renovating properties so salutary to the invalid, and grateful to the healthy and robust. These inducements have, doubtless, gained with many a preference for the Welsh coast; the general aspect of which is open to the pure and invigorating breezes of the broad Atlantic. "To no place on our coast, however, has a greater degree of patronage been extended than to the subject of this notice Nor can the most cursory tourist fail to admit its claim to public favour, when contemplating the position of the town at the junction of two romantic valleys in the very centre of a capacious bay, into which no large rivers discharge themselves to deteriorate the briny quality of the translucent waters that lave its pebbly shore, and near which float no noxious vapours to contaminate the purity of its salubrious atmosphere but affording a delightful combination of mountain air and ocean breeze, whilst the vicinity abounds in subjects of historic interest and picturesque beauty."

AS A WINTER RESORT. Considerable efforts have been made of recent years to popularise the town as a winter resort. In order to attain this end it will be necessary to increase the sociability of the place. Hitherto visitors have found life in apartments dull, and it rests with lodging house, boarding house and hotel keepers to increase the social element, which they can easily do. Of course tradesmen and others can do much in the same direction.

THE TOWN. The town is being rapidly modernised and extended, and the accommodation for visitors has been doubled in a few years. New streets have been built with a superior class of houses, and the old houses are being rapidly replaced by others of a better class, this being a condition accompanying the renewal of the Corporation leases. Nearly all the land to the east of Chalybeate street and Baker street belongs to the Corporation, and a revenue of about three thousand pounds a year is now derived from this source. Victoria terrace, Marine terrace, and south Marine terrace face the sea. but comfortable apartments are provided in all parts the town.

There are further subjects in this lengthy article not extracted here eg The Castle, Railways, Excursions, Devil's Bridge, Exercise in sea air, Constitution Hill, Pendinas etc etc    

https://newspapers.library.wales/view/3049317/3049321/43/Aberystwyth