The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

In 1868, the parish of Cellan contained the following places:

"CELLAN, a parish in the hundred of Moyddyn, in the county of Cardigan, South Wales, 3 miles N.E. of Lampeter. It is situated on the Roman road to Loventium, or Llanio, vestiges of which yet remain, near the river Teifi. Among the mountains in the neighbourhood is an immense stone, known as Llêch Cynon, raised on a circular tumulus. The adjacent river, Frwd Cynon, is probably so named from Cynon, the reputed founder of Tregynon. There are likewise other sepulchral heaps, with remains of a cromlech, camps, &c.; among the former may be mentioned the Byr-faen and the Bedd-y-Forwyn, or "Virgin's Grave," to the S. of the village. The living is a rectory in the dioc, of St. David's, value £83, in the patronage of the bishop. The church consists of a nave and chancel, and possesses two sacristories for holy water. Here the Welsh antiquary, the Rev. M. Williams, was born."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018