Open a form to report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Kelly's Directory - South Wales 1910

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Kelly's Directory - South Wales 1910

The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (October 2003) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)

The general description extracted is a partly edited version, place names are as written.


Is a parish ....10 miles north-west from Lampeter station on the Great Western railway, and 6 east-by-south from Aberayron, in the hundred of Ilar, petty sessional division of Lower Ilar and Aberayron, and in the rural deanery of Glyn-aeron, archdeaconry of Cardigan and diocese of St David's.

The church of the Holy Trinity or St Cannen is a building of stone ...... was restored in 1891 at a cost of £900, and affords 145 sittings. The registers date from 1719. The living is a vicarage, with Llanbadarn Trefeglwys annexed.... and held since 1902 by the Rev David William Davies Lic Div of St David's College, Lampeter. There are Wesleyan and Congregational chapels.

William Francis David Saunders esq of Glanrhydw, Kidwelly, Carm is the principal landowner.

The soil is gravel; chief crops,  wheat, barley, oats and potatoes; and much of the land is under pasture.

The area is 3410 acres; rateable value £1639; the population in 1901 was 423.

Parish Clerk --- John Davies

Post Office --- Thomas Jones, sub-postmaster.

The parish is in the Aberayron school district; Benjamin C Jones, Aberayron, clerk to the managers.

Public Elementary School (mixed), for 99 children' average attendance, 68; William D Evans, master


  • Davies, Rev David William L Div; Vicarage
  • Lewes, Major Price DL JP; Ty-Glyn Aeron
  • Rudman, Mrs; Tymawr


  • Evans, Ann (Miss), grocer
  • Evans, Jenkin, hand loom weaver; Pen Dibyn
  • Evans, John F, blacksmith
  • Evans, Timothy, grocer; Bedlwyn
  • James, Timothy, farmer; Hendre
  • Jones, Daniel, farmer; Glan Bran
  • Jones, David, farmer & assistant overseer; Maesmynach
  • Jones, Jenkin Morgan, farmer; Penwern
  • Jones, John, farmer; Cefn-y-Gaer
  • Jones, John, farmer; Tyrbach
  • Jones, Margt (Mrs); farmr; Llaethdy
  • Llewellyn, Benjamin; Commercial inn
  • Llewellyn, John, sadler
  • Morgan, Evan, farmer; Bwlch Castell
  • Morgan, Evan, farmer; Blaen-yr-esgair
  • Morgan, John, farmer; Rhiwlasuchaf
  • Thomas, John, woollen manufacturer
  • Williams, Benjamin, butcher
  • Williams, Daniel, carpenter
  • Williams, William, farmer; Plas

[Gareth Hicks: 27 October 2003]