The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

In 1868, the parish of Llanafan contained the following places:

"LLANAFAN, a parish in the hundred of Upper Ilar, county Cardigan, 8 miles S.E. of Aberystwith. It is situated on the river Ystwith. Part of the parish is a wild, dreary common. Lead has been obtained. The village consists of a few scattered houses. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of St. David's, value with that of Trawsgoed annexed, £88. The church, dedicated to St. Avan, is an ancient edifice. It contains an antique screen, octagonal font, and an ancient silver communion dish presented by the earls of Lisburne. Cross-Wood Park, the seat of the Earl of Lisburne, is an old mansion surrounded by a well-wooded park, and situated on the right bank of the river Ystwith."

"LISBURNE, a lead mine near Crosswood in the parish of Llanafan, county Cardigan, belonging to the Earl of Lisburne."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018