Kelly's Directory - South Wales 1895
The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (February 2004) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
Place names are as written unless clearly misleading.
Melindwr (or Capel Bangor) is a township in the county of Cardigan, formed with Parcel Canol into an ecclesiastical parish 11 June, 1844, from the parish of Llanbadarn Vawr, and is 5 miles east from Aberystwyth, on the road to Llanidloes, in the hundred of Geneu'r-Glyn, petty sessional division of Geneu'r-Glyn-Lower, union and county court district of Aberystwyth, and in the rural deanery of Llanbadarnfawr, archdeaconry of Cardigan, and diocese of St. David's.
The church of St. David is an ancient edifice of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, and a small western turret, containing 1 bell, and has 250 sittings. The register dates from the year 1839. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £143, in the gift of the vicar of Llanbadarn Fawr, and held since. 1892 by the Rev. Morgan Morgan of St. David's College, Lampeter.
The chapel of ease, at Goginan, built in 1871, has 150 sittings.
There are Calvinistic Methodist, Wesleyan & Baptist chapels.
The charities consist of £7. 18s. per annum, for distribution to the poor, and £9 for school purposes.
There are three small woollen factories. Lead mining was formerly carried on, but has been abandoned for some time.
The manor is the property of the Crown. The principal landowners are W. G. Parry esq., Sir Pryse Pryse bart., and J. G. F. Hughes-Bonsall esq.
The soil is sand and gravel. The area is 8,224 acres of land and 48 water; rateable value, £2,229; the population in 1891 was 678.
Post Office, Capel Bangor.---Miss Janett Lewis, sub-postmistress. (Railway Sub-Office, Letters should have R.S.O. Cardiganshire added.). Letters arrive at 7.45 a.m.; dispatched at 4.45 p.m. week days only. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. Goginan is the nearest money order office, and Aberystwyth the nearest telegraph office
Post & M. O. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, Goginan.---Thomas Owen, sub-postmaster. (Railway Sub-Office. Letters should have R.S.O. Cardiganshire added), arrive at 8.15 a.m.; dispatched at 4.15 pm week days only. The nearest telegraph office is Aberystwyth.
A School Board of 7 members was formed 19 Aug 1871; David Morgan, clerk; David Jones & David Stephens, attendance officers
Board, Goginan, built in 1878, for 154 children; average attendance, 34; John Davies, master
Board, Penllwyn, built in 1874 for 170 children; average attendance, 52; Richard Adams, master
Parcel Canol is a township of the parish of Llanbadarn fawr, situated on the river Rheidol; 5 miles east from Aberystwyth. The area is 2,855 acres; rateable value £2,048; the population in 1891 was 366.
Letters are received from Aberystwyth. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Bow Street RSO.
The children of this township attend the school at Trefeyrig
- Evans, Thomas; Dollwen
- James, John Evans, Maesbangor
- James, Mrs. ; Broncastell
- Jenks, Alfred Hutton; Bronerion
- Julian, William; Melindwr house
- Morgan, Rev. Morgan (vicar); Vicarage
- Williams, Rev. John (Calvinistic Methodist); Mornington house
- Bebb, Edwd.Hughes, frmr.; Blaendyffryn
- Davies, William, miller (water)
- Evans, Lewis, farmer; Wenffrwd
- Evans, Saml. blacksmith; Pwllybitfald
- Griffiths, Hugh, mine agt. ; Cwmbrwym
- Hughes, Rd.& Thos.btchrs.; Penpontbren
- Hughes, Isaac, farmer; Hirnant
- Hughes, John; Miners Arms P.H
- James, David, farmer; Aberpeithnant
- James, Elizabeth (Mrs.); Maesbangor Arms P.H
- James, Thomas, farmer; Llwyniorwerth
- James, Thomas, shoe maker; Bangor vil
- Jenkins, William, farmer; Nantyrarin
- Jones, Thomas, farmer; Cwmerw
- Lewis, Janett (Miss), shpkpr. & post off
- Lewis, Margaretta(Mrs.); Tynllidiart P.H
- Morgan, David, shopkeeper & clerk to school board; Penllwyn
- Morgan, Edward, frmr. ;Troedrhiwlmba
- Morgan, Edwd. Jn. auctnr.; Penllwyn
- Morgan, Hy. Wm. frmr.; Broullangwrda
- Morgans, Morgan, farmer; Llerniaddu
- Morris, John, woollen manufr.; Pandy
- Parry, Joseph, farmer & assistant overseer;Tyllwyd
- Prys, Absolom, woollen manufacturer
- Rees, Jas. blacksmith; Tynllidiart
- Rowlands, Richard, farmer; Cefncoed
- Silvanus, Job, woollen mnfr.; Brynhyryd
- Stephens, Wm. farmer; Penbryn
- Vaughan, Richard, tailor; Penybont
- Williams, John, wheelwright; Penygraig
- Bray, Nicholas J.P
- Williams, Rev. Daniel B.A. (curate); London place
- Nicholls, John Sayers; Druid P.H
- Northey, Caroline(Mrs.); Royal Oak P.H
- Owen, Thomas, grocer & post office
- James, Thomas J.P.; Llwyniorwerth-issaf
- Davies; Evan, farm bailiff to John T.Morgan esq.; Rhosgoch
- Thomas, Richard, boot maker
- Davies, David; Bronsaint
- Edward, Edward; Rhydceir
- Edwards, Hugh Pugh; Tyllwydifan
- Griffiths, James; Felinhen
- Griffiths, John; Penlanolan
- James, James Rowland; Peithys
- James, John; Abercwmdole
- James, Thomas; Llwyniorwerth-issaf
- Jones, Daniel & Thomas; Cwmythig
- Lewis, John Pugh & Jane E. (Mrs.); Llwyniorwerth-ucha
- Lewis, Ann (Mrs.); Moelbryncastle
- Lewis, William; Darrenfawr
- Lewis, William; Lluestfach
- Mason, Joseph; Gwarcwmhen
- Morgan, Eleanor (Mrs.) & Lewis Elias; Pengwmen
- Owens, Owen (& assist. ovrsr.); Tymawr
- Owens, Richard; Gillyfadog
- Parry, Edward; Lluestfawr
- Richards, Mary (Mrs.) & John; Bidwen & Gellynebwen
- Richards, Henry; Nantybwla
- Richards, James; Pentrerhydowen
- Rowlands, Thomas; Sgybornewydd
- Stephen, John Griffith; Tyncwm
- Thomas, Richard; Gwarcwmnantbycham
- Thomas, William; Gattfadog
[Gareth Hicks: 25 February 2004]