Llanddewi Aber-Arth


"LLANDEWY-ABERARTH(LLAN-DDEWI-ABER-ARTH), a parish in the lower division of the hundred of ILAR, county of CARDIGAN, SOUTH WALES, 13 miles (N. W. by N.) from Lampeter, containing 976 inhabitants. The name of this parish, which comprises about three thousand acres, is derived from the dedication of its church, and its distinguishing adjunct from its situation near the mouth of the small river Arth, which here discharges its waters into the bay of Cardigan. This parish is also watered by the Aëron and from the vale through which this river winds the greater part of its surface presents a hilly aspect."
[From Samuel Lewis's A Topographical Dictionary of Wales 1833]



Aberaeron district [ 3 parishes, 11 churches and chapels], Mls, ; searches  within  their Research Service from   Cardiganshire Family History Society


Church History

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by   I.G   Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,   Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

  • Llanddewi Aberarth Parish Church                   Wm Hughes MA, Perpetual Curate

Parish entry for Llanddewi Aberarth with St Alban, Tyglyn from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).

  • St David & (Church in ruins, St Alban, Tyglyn)
  • Incumbent and Curates; J Thomas
  • Rural Deanery of Glyn Aeron
  • Acreage 4,131; Population 472

Parish entry for Henfynyw with Aberaeron from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).

  • St David & Holy Trinity (Aberaeron)
  • Incumbent and Curates; E B Herbert (T B Jones)
  • Rural Deanery of Glyn Aeron
  • Acreage 2,163; Population 1,630

St David's church - photograph on Dyfed FHS

Holy Trinity church - photograph on Dyfed FHS

See Chapels Database

See John Ball's site Welsh Churches and Chapels Collection for a photograph/data re Holy Trinity Church, Aberaeron

Various items  - on the People's Collection Wales site

  • Peniel Chapel, Aberaeron
  • Picnic, Peniel Chapel, Aberaeron, 1907
  • The Tabernacle Chapel, Aberaeron

Downey, David S. A History of Llanddewi Aberarth Church (NLW's site) Ceredigion, x 1 : 82-96 (1984)

Downey, David S.   St Albans Chapel, Tyglyn   (NLW's site)   Ceredigion Vol IX


Church Records

See Notes on Church/Chapel Records page

Parish Register;
Baptisms 1737-1992. Marriages 1737-1809, 1813-1970 [Banns 1823-1977] . Burials 1737-1993  NLW with copies of some dates at Cer.RO
Copy manuscripts PR CB 1737-1812  M 1737-1801 NLW and typescript PR M 1737-1837 with index NLW/Cer.RO
Bishops Transcripts;
1811-18, 1821-57, 1859-63, 1865-72 NLW

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg

I.G.I; Baptisms 1812-72

Index to Burials from Parish Registers 1813-1837 available for purchase from  Cardiganshire Family History Society Volume 3: Ilar (Lower) Hundred . Parishes covered: Cilcennin, Henfynyw, Llanbadarn Trefeglwys, Llanddeiniol, Llanddewi Aberarth, Llangwyryfon, Llanrhystud, Llansantffraid, Llanychaiarn, Trefilan

Nonconformist Chapels;   see Chapels Database


Description & Travel

The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., by Jones, I.G. & Williams, D.   UWP,   Cardiff, 1976.  These statistics for this parish or chapelry are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;

  • Area 3595 acres; Population 560 males, 724 females, total 1284

Welcome to Aberaeron site

Various landscapes  - on the People's Collection Wales site

Aberaeron - on Wikipedia

Aberaeron a chanol Ceredigion  [Aberaeron and Mid Ceredigion] .The Old photographs series  Stroud , 1994.

Ardern, C.E. Aberayron, Cardiganshire. The official guide, etc. Cheltenham, 1931

Cozens, Lewis. Aberayron Transport. London, 1957.

Howell, JM.  The birth and growth of Aberayron. Card. Antq. Soc. Trans, Vol IV

Jones, Alicia Gower. Ebb and flow. Llawlyfr Cym Cered Llundain, Vol XIV

Jones, Gwilym M.   Notes on Aberaeron  (NLW's site)   Ceredigion : Journal of the Cardiganshire Antiquarian Society, Vol VI, No 3, 1970.

Jones, Gwilym. Aberaeron landmarks (NLW's site) Ceredigion, Vol I

You can see pictures of Llanddewi Aber-Arth which are provided by:



Pigot & Co. South Wales Directory for 1830. Here are some Extracts relating to Aberayron

Pigot & Co. South Wales Directory for 1844. Here are some Extracts relating to Aberayron and Neighbourhood

Kelly's Directory South Wales 1895  For Llanddewi Aber-Arth village and parish

Kelly's Dictionary South Wales 1910 Here is the general description and name lists for Aberayron



The transcription of the section for Llanddewi Aberarth from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson

Descriptions of the parish of Llanddewi Aber-Arth and the sea-port of Aberaeron from A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1833) by Samuel Lewis.



Cardiganshire Families

Held at Ceredigion Archives;

  • Two account books of David Davies, smith of Aberaeron 1832-c1908

Evans, W (Parch). Cyfrol o Bregethau (Book of Sermons). 1st Ed. Aberayron 1893. D.D.Williams, Bookbinder, Merthyr Tydfil. Here is the list of subscribers - with addresses - from this book;  mainly Cardiganshire (with many in Aberaeron) but also Liverpool, London, Barry and Other Places.

Henry Loyn by Compton - from the Carmarthen Journal of April 9th 1897. Dyfed FHS journal vol 9/1, Dec 2005. Contributed by Dr W G Loyn

Jones, Siân. A very remarkable ancestor- Captain Rees Jones, Drefach, Aberaeron. Dyfed Family History Journal 3/8 (1990), p. 286-7. Baptised as Rees John Rees in December 1772, this is the story of Captain Rees Jones, Master Mariner

Lewis, Haydn Rev. Hen Deuloedd Aberaeron.

Martin, Shirley. The story of Henry and Mary Thomas of Llanddewi Aberarth, a lucky find and history rescued from oblivion ! Part I in Cardiganshire FHS journal vol 3/8 June 2004.    Part 2 in vol 3/9 Oct 2004



Beazley, Elisabeth and Margaret Atwood. On the danger that attends playing with guns   (NLW's site)   Ceredigion Vol V.  A description of the appalling accident which happened at Tyglyn, Aberaeron in Oct 1825

Davis, Peter. Aber-arth Mill and its owners.  (NLW's site)   Ceredigion XI

Galar gan er coffadwriaeth am un ar ddeg o bysgodwyr a foddodd ar gyffiniau Aberteifi pedwar o Landydoch a saith o Aberporth. [Grief in remembering the eleven fishermen who drowned in the vicinity of Aberteifi , four from Landydoch and seven from Aberporth] Publication: S.l. : s.n., Evan Jones : 1815

Howell, J M.    The Birth and Growth of Aberaeron.             Trans. Cards. Antiq. Soc. IV, 1926   Welsh Journals Online

Lewis, William John. Aberaeron . Aberaeron, 1984?

Lewis, Lewis Haydn. Penodau yn hanes Aberaeron.(Chapters in the history of Aberaeron] Llandysul, Gwasg Gomer, 1970.

Meyrick, Sir Samuel Rush.(1783-1848) The History and Antiquities of the county of Cardigan. Collected from the few remaining documents which have escaped the ravages of time, as well as from actual observation. Longman: London ,1810. The history and antiquities of the County of Cardigan ... to which are now added a parliamentary history, list of High Sheriffs, some notes on the present county families, &c., &c. repr. Brecon: 1907. This 1907 print  has now been reprinted. The brief section relating to this parish is on pages 260/1; the last 2 church incumbents were 1747 David Jones, 1801 --- Price of Carmarthen.

Phythian-Adams, Henry. The Planning of Aberaeron - Some new evidence (NLW's site) Ceredigion : Journal of the Cardiganshire Antiquarian Society, Vol VIII, No 4, 1979

Rees, D Morgan. Industrial Archaeology in Cardiganshire. Ceredigion : Journal of the Cardiganshire Antiquarian Society. Vol V/2, 1965. This article has an item on Aberaeron forge;- One of the county's most interesting industrial buildings, historically, is that which at one time accommodated a mill and a forge on the right bank of the river Aeron, quite near to the harbour at Aberaeron............The Aberaeron forge, or the shovel works as it became known, originated in a small enterprise in Ciliau Aeron, established there for the forging of sickles in 1800. These were worked from metal which came to Aberaeron from Bristol in small ships and was transported to the forge at Ciliau Aeron in horse-drawn wagons. The forge was re-established in Aberaeron in 1850............'Dafydd Tomos y Go [David Thomas the blacksmith] established an edge tool manufactory which goes on still. [J M Howell, 'The Birth and Growth of Aberayron'. Cardiganshire Antiquarian Society Transactions, Vol 4 1926.].

Sampson, Aylwin Arthu & Llwyd, Rheinallt.  Aberaeron . Aberystwyth: Cymdeithas Lyfrau Ceredigion,1971. Parallel Welsh and English texts.

Williams, George.  A Group of Burnt Mounds at Morfa Mawr, Aberaeron  (NLW's site)   Ceredigion Vol X

Various items  - on the People's Collection Wales site

  • Aberaeron town hall.
  • Ribbon cutting ceremony at the opening of the Aberaeron train station, May 12th 1911
  • Aberayron Station (multiple photographs 1963)

Land & Property

Held at the NLW ;
-Records collected by Thomas G.G.Herbert of Aberaeron. They include the papers of Daniel Lewis Lloyd [1843-99], bishop of Bangor ; and records of the family of Pryse and Saunders of Ty Mawr, Cardiganshire, and Glanrhydw, Carmarthenshire, 1609-C20.

Griffiths, J.E. The Architecture of Aberaeron (NLW's site)   Ceredigion : Journal of the Cardiganshire Antiquarian Society, Vol VI, No 3, 1970.

Davies, Peter. Pen-y-Banc, Aberarth.(NLW's site) Ceredigion; Vol. IX, No. 4 (1983). This is a follow on article to that by Mcdermott, M. Two examples of vernacular architecture in the parishes of Llansantffraid and Aberarth. (NLW's site) Ceredigion 8 [1978]. Penybanc, in the coastal village of Aberarth, was a pair of rubble walled cottages built c 1797.



Parish map (Kain/Oliver)

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN484628 (Lat/Lon: 52.242614, -4.222484), Llanddewi Aber-Arth which are provided by:


Merchant Marine

Various items  - on the People's Collection Wales site

  • Paintings of ships connected to Aberaeron harbour
  • Aberaeron sea defences
  • Aberaeron Harbour c1910
  • Post Card. Aberaeron inner harbour, Ceredigion c. 1910
  • Aberaeron 1939

The David Williams Collection; David Williams was born at Aberaeron in 1851 and died on 23 January 1913 when a cotton bale fell on him when the ship he was aboard, the S.S. Southgate was at Havre Port [see ADX/504/3/1-3]. The items within this collection mainly relate to David William's time at sea from 1904 until his death in 1913.  On Ceredigion Archives/Catalogues with photographs, postcards

Jones, David Lewis. Aberaeron; The Community and Seafaring, 1800-1900.  Ceredigion : Journal of the Cardiganshire Antiquarian Society, Vol VI, No 2, 1969 . Here is an index of  personal, place and ships' names appearing in the article . Data has also been extracted from tables in the article under the following  specific headings

  • Aberaeron ships at Aberystwyth in 1845
  • Aberaeron Steam Navigation Company Ltd -list of members in 1864
  • The Aberayron Steam Packet Company-list of members in 1894
  • Ships built at Aberaeron , 1824-1900

Jones, David Lewis.   Aberaeron before the Harbour Act of 1870  (NLW's site)     Ceredigion; Vol. IX, No. 4 (1983)

Jones, David Lewis.  Aberaeron: the Community and Seafaring 1800-1900.  (NLW's site)   Ceredigion Vol VI

Jones, Richard.  Running Franco's Blockade: Captain John Jones, Aberarth, and the SS Sarastone  (NLW's site)    Ceredigion XIV

Lewis, L Haydn.         Penodau yn Hanes Aberaeron a'r Cylch.   Llandysul, 1970


Military History

Aberaeron War Memorial - on the People's Collection Wales site


Names, Geographical

Places, villages, farms etc within Llanddewi Aber-Arth    as shown on the online parish map from the CD of  Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Gareth Hicks)

  • Llanddewi Aber-arth (55); Aber Arth; Aberayron (town); Blaen-haul; Bryngwyn; Cae-bislan-isaf; Castell Cadwgan; Cefn-wig; Coed; Gilfach-goch; Gors-wen; Lan-las; Llanddewi Aberarth Upper; Lletty-Shon; Pant-yr-onen; Pentre; Tre-newydd; Tyglyn; Ty'n-y-bedw; Wig-wen; Ynys-hir

Poor Houses, Poor Law

Aberayron Workhouse - on Peter Higginbotham's site

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Cardiganshire Board of Guardians Records, Aberayron Union  1837-1938

Held at Ceredigion Archives;

  • Lists of paupers in the Aberaeron area 1870-1872, and other items of C19 ephemera relating to Aberaeron.

Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Aberaeron and Aberayron Rural District Council Records [1800]-1975 (accumulated 1934-1975)


Here is an extract from The Reports of the Commissioners appointed to enquire into the state of Education in Wales. 1847

Gorau ymgais gwybodaeth (One hundred years of education at Aberaeron.). Aberaeron : Ysgol Gyfun Aberaeron,1996. Welsh/English text


Social Life & Customs

 Aberayron County School hockey team, 1904 - on the People's Collection Wales site



Llanddewi Aberarth History Society - for details see Ceredigion Local History Forum