ABERARTH or Llanddewi Aberarth


The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

In 1868, the parish of Aberarth contained the following places:

"ABERARTH, (or Llanddewi Aberarth) a parish in the hundred of Lower Ilar, county Cardigan, 13 miles N.W. of Lampeter, its post town, 16 from Aberystwith, and 21 N.E. of Cardigan. It is situated on the coast of Cardigan Bay, lying between the two rivers Ayron and Arth. It includes, the town and port of Aberayron. The land is under good cultivation, though hilly. The workhouse for the Poor-law Union is in this parish. The tithes were commuted in 1839. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of St. David's, value £100, in the patronage of the bishop. The parish church is an ancient edifice dedicated to St. David. There is also the district church of St. Alban's, the living of which is a perpetual curacy in the gift of the proprietors of the Ty-Glyn estate. The charities consist of an endowment to Jones's school producing £7 per annum. Near the shore are remains of a fortified camp called Castell Cadwgan. Fairs are held on the 6th July and 11th December.


[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018