Kelly's Directory - South Wales 1895
The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (November 2003) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
Place names are as written unless clearly misleading.
Is a village on the river *Towy [*should say Teifi] and a parish in the county of Cardigan, 1 mile east-by-south from Llanio road station, and 4 south of Tregaron station, both on the Manchester and Milford railway, in the hundred of Penarth, county court district of Lampeter, union of Tregaron, and in the rural deanery of Ultra Aeron, archdeaconry of Cardigan, and diocese of St. David's.
The church of St. David, founded as a collegiate church in 1287, by Thomas Becke, then bishop of St. David's, is an ancient building of stone, originally cruciform, but now consisting only of a chancel, nave, south porch, and an embattled tower, containing 1 bell. The church was repaired in 1874 at a cost of £530, and affords 400 sittings. The registers date from the year 1765. The living is a vicarage, with the chapelry of Llanbadarn Odwyn annexed, tithe rent-charge £68, average £51, with 450 acres of glebe, gross yearly value £303, net £170, with residence, in the gift of G. L. Vaughan esq. and Sir R. D. Green-Price bart. alternately, and held since 1891 by the Rev. Thomas Rogers Davies B.A. of St. David's College, Lampeter.
There is a Calvinistic Methodist chapel, with 800 sittings.
In the parish are stone quarries and a hosiery manufactory, and traces of lead mines also exist.
The late Thomas D. Jones esq, of Waenfawr, bequeathed £100 per annum to the parish.
The College founded here in 1287 by Bishop Becke contained, at its dissolution, a precentor and 12 canons.
The Bishop of St. David's is lord of the manor. Sir R. D. Green-Price bart., G. L. Vaughan esq., W. J. Jones esq., D. J. Williams esq., D. W. C. Rowlands esq., and S. Jones esq. are the principal landowners.
The soil is gravel, chief crops barley and oats. The area is comprised under the different townships, which are shown below; rateable value £5,465; the population of the parish in 1891 was 1,929.
Post Office.--- Joseph Morgan, sub-postmaster. Letters received from Llanio Road R.S.O. Cardiganshire at 11.45 a.m.; dispatched at 2.45 p.m. Orders are issued here, but not paid. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Tregaron
A School Board of 5 members was formed 9 Feb. 1874, for the United district of Dothie Camddwr, Dothie Piscottwr, Garth and Ystrad, Gogoyan, Gorwydd. Llanio & Prisk & Carfan; Jenkins Lloyd, clerk & attendance officer
Board School, built in 1874, for 170 children; average attendance, 102; David Davies, master; Miss Charlotte Jones, infants' mistress
DOTHIE CAMDDWR is a township 5 miles east; the area is 7473 acres of land, 28 of water; the population in 1891 was 61.
DOTHIE PISCOTTWR is a township, 4 miles north-east; the area is 8,097 acres; the population in 1891 was 80.
GARTH & YSTRAD is a township, 1 1/2 miles distant; the area is 844 acres of land and 10 of water; the population in 1891 was 91.
GOGOYAN is a township, 2 miles south-east; the area is 686 acres; the population in 1891 was 83.
GORWYDD is a township, 1 1/2 miles south-east. Here is a Calvinistic Methodist chapel. The area is 6,359 acres; the population in 1891 was 660; these figures include the village of Llanddewi Brefi.
LLANIO is a township, 1 mile west. The area is 1,208 acres of land and 11 of water; the population in 1891 was 124. There are many Roman remains, inscribed stones &c.
PRISK & CARFAN is a township, 1 mile west. The area is 3,419 acres; the population in 1891 was 113.
- Davies, Rev. Thomas Rogers B.A. ; Vicarage
- Morgan, Rev. Rees (Calvinistic Meth)
- Price, Rees; Cefngarth
- Willis-Bund, John William B., J.P. ; Blaendewi villa
- Davies, David; Cross inn
- Davies, David, quarry owners
- Davies, Thos.Walt.; Drovers'Arms P.H
- Evans, John, grocer
- Jenkins, William; Voullalt Arms P.H
- Jones, Charles, carpenter
- Jones, David, grocer
- Jones, Jeremiah, yarn spinner
- Lloyd, Jenkin, farmer, & clerk & attendance officer to Llanddewi-Brefi united district school board; Pant
- Lloyd, Thomas; Bridge End P.H
- Morgan, Joseph, draper & post office
- Price, Rees, stocking manufacturer
- Williams, John, shopkeeper
- Jones, John; Maesglas
- Jones, Morgan; Troedyrhiwgddwen
- Jones, Rees; Nantllwyrd
- Jones, William; Dallar
- Thomas, Lewis; Henpaes
- Davies, Margaret (Mrs.); Aberdanddur
- Hughes, David; Lether
- Jones, Samuel; Drainllwynden
- Jones, Thomas; Troedyrhywcymmer
GARTH & YSTRAD.
- Davies, Jonathan; Godrgarth
- Rees, William; Llwyn
- Rowlands, Daniel W. E
- Davies, David, farmer; Pentre brain
- Edmunds, Jane (Mrs.), miller (water)
- Lloyd, Benjamin, farmer; Cefngoyan
- Morgans, Thomas, farmer; Coed-y-gof
- Williams, William, farmer; Pentrebwlen
- Davies, David, farmer; Werncoli
- Davies, John, farmer
- Davies, William; New inn
- Jenkins, Jenkin, farmer; Rhysgog
- Jones, John, miller (water)
- Thomas, Mary (Mrs.), farmer;Tynllyn
- Davies, Margt.(Mrs.); Derry Arms P.H
- Davies, John; Pant-y-blawdd
- Davies, Winifred (Mrs.); Pistyll-gwyn
- Evans, Letitia (Mrs.); Llanio Isaf
- Green, David; Werneuchaf
- Green, George; Werneissaf
- Jones, John; Alltddu
- Jones, John; Cefn Llanio
- Jones, Samuel; Llaniofawr
- Jones, Thomas; Ochrgarth.
- Lewis, John; Brynmaen
- Morgans, Mary (Mrs.); Ystrad Dewi
- Richards, Daniel; Garthenor
- Richards, David; Garthenor
- Williams, Joseph; Rattal
PRISK & CARFAN.
- Jones, Thomas; Cwmddu, Prysk
- James, Peter; Hafodles, Carfan
- Jones, Martha (Mrs.); Nantyderwen, Carfan
- Williams, James; Abercarfan
[Gareth Hicks: 18 Feb 2007]