Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for LLANDDEWI BREFI

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

LLANDDEWI BREFI

In 1868, the parish of Llanddewi Brefi contained the following places:

"LLANDDEWI BREFI, a parish in the hundred of Penarth, county Cardigan, 3 miles S.W. of Tregaron, and 7 N.E. of Lampeter, its post town. It is situated on the river Teifi, and has within its limits the townships of Blaenpenal, Garthely, Llanio, and several others. The hamlet of Llanio occupies the site of the ancient Loventium of the Romans, through which the highway Sarn Helen passed, and where several Latin inscriptions and coins have been found. This place is conspicuous in ecclesiastical history as the spot where a synod was held in 519, to condemn the Pelagian heresy, and by which Dubritius resigned the archbishopric of Caerleon to St. David. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of St. David's, value with the curacy of Llanbadarn-Odwynne annexed, £146. The church, dedicated to St. David, is a commodious edifice, and has been recently restored. There are also two district churches, viz: Blaenpenal and Garthely. The livings of both are perpetual curacies, value respectively £84 and £60. There is a stone pillar of about 7 feet in height called St. David's Staff. The charities consist of an endowment to Thomas's school, producing about £10 per annum. Bishop Beck founded a college herein 1187. There are ruins of an old mansion called Plas Llanfair. Foelall is the principal seat. Fairs are held on the 7th May, 24th July, 9th October; and 13th November."

"BETTWS LEIKI, a parochial chapelry in the parish of Llanddewi-Brefi, hundred of Moyddyn, in the county of Cardigan, South Wales, 7 miles to the N. of Lampeter, its post town. It is pleasantly situated on the river Aeron, and forms a distinct parish for ecclesiastical purposes. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of St. David's, of the value of £50, in the patronage of the Incumbent of Llandewy-Brevi."

"BLAENPENAL, (or Llanpenal), a chapelry in the parish of Llanddewi-brefi, hundred of Penarth, in the county of Cardigan, South Wales, 6 miles to the N.W. of Tregaron. It is at the head of the vale of the Aeron river, not far from the mountain on which it rises. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of St. David's, of the value of £84, in the patronage of the Earl of Lisburne and R. Price, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. David.

"CARFAN, a township in the parish of Llanddewi-Brefi, hundred of Penarth, in the county of Cardigan, South Wales, 3 miles to the S.W. of Tregaron."

"DOTHIE-CAMDDWR, (and Dothie Piscottwr) townships in the parish of Llanddewi-brefi, hundred of Penarth, in the county of Cardigan, 3 miles S.W. of Tregaron. It is situated on the river Dothie.

"GARTH AND YSTRAD, a township in the parish of Llanddewi-brefi, hundred of Penarth, county Cardigan, 3 miles S.W. of Tregaron.

"GARTHELY, a chapelry in the parish of Llanddewi brefi, hundred of Penarth, county Cardigan, South Wales, 6 miles S.W. of Tregaron, and 6 N. of Lampeter, its post town. It is situated near the river Averon. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of St. David's, value £60, in the gift of the incumbent of the parish."

"GOGOYAN, a township in the parish of Llanddewi brefi, hundred of Penarth, county Cardigan, South Wales, 3 miles S.W. of Tregaron."

"GORWYDD, a township in the parish of Llanddewi-brefi, county Cardigan, South Wales, 3 miles S.W. of Tregaron. It is situated on the river Teifi, and the town of Llanddewi-brefi is within the township."

"GWYNFIL, a township in the parish of Llanddewi-brefi, county Cardigan, 3 miles S.W. of Tregaron. It is situated near the river Teifi."

"LLANIO, a township in the parish of Llanddewi-brefi, hundred of Penarth, county Cardigan, 2 miles S.W. of Tregaron. It is situated on the turnpike road between Lampeter and Tregaron, near the bank of the Teifi. The Roman road Sam Helen runs from Maridunum to Machynlleth, and had a station called Loventium, near the site of the farmhouse of Llanio. Three stones, one of which is used as a seat at the farm door, are mentioned by Sir S. Meyrick, inscribed, "Caii artis manibus primus," "Overioni," and "Cohors Secundæ Augusta fecit quinque passus," as discovered here in a field called Caer Castell, where the foundations of a building, bricks, coins, fragments of pottery, and other remains have been found."

"PRISK AND CARFAN, a township in the parish of Llanddewi-brefi, hundred of Penarth, county Cardigan, 3 miles S.W. of Tregaron.

"YSTRAD, a township in the parish of Llanddewi-brefi, hundred of Penarth, county Cardigan, 4 miles S.W. of Tregaron. It is situated near the Roman way Sarn Helen, and is in conjunction with Garth to form a township."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018