Llandyfriog - Extract from 'A Topographical Dictionary of Wales' by Samuel Lewis 1833
"LLANDYVRIOG (LLAN-DYVRIOG), a parish in the hundred of TROEDYRAUR,county of CARDIGAN, SOUTH WALES, 1 1/2 mile (E.) from Newcastle- Emlyn containing 854 inhabitants. This parish, which derives its name from the dedication of its church to St. Tyvriog, an eminent British saint who lived towards the close of the sixth century, is pleasantly situated on the northern bank of the river Teivy, and on the turnpike road from Newcastle-Emlyn to Lampeter. The ancient borough of Atpar, which was formerly contributory with Aberystwith and Lampeter, in returning a representative to parliament for the county town of Cardigan, of which privilege it was deprived for misconduct in the election of a member in 1742, and invested with it again by the late act for amending the representation, is within its limits, and forms a suburb to the market town of Newcastle-Emlyn, constituting that portion of it which is in the county of Cardigan. The lands are enclosed and in a good state of cultivation, and the soil is generally fertile. The surrounding scenery is of a pleasing character, and in many parts is enriched with thriving plantations, and diversified with well-wooded eminences. Atpar Hill , the seat of John Beynon, Esq., is an elegant villa, beautifully situated on an eminence commanding a pleasing view of the town and the banks of the Teivy. This parish constitutes a prebend in the cathedral church of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £18, and annexed to the archdeaconry of Cardigan. The living is a discharged vicarage, with the rectory of Llanvair Trêlygon annexed, in the archdeaconry of Cardigan, and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £8, endowed with £600 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. The church, dedicated to St. Tyvriog, is an ancient edifice, not distinguished by any architectural features of importance. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £170.9."
[Gareth Hicks: 8 December 1999]