The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"LLANDYFRIOG, a parish in the hundred of Troedyrawr, county Cardigan, 2 miles E. of Newcastle-in-Emlyn, its post town, and 10 from Cardigan. The parish includes the township of Adpar, with the villages of Aber and Penddol. The village, which is considerable, is situated on the N. bank of the river Teifi. The tithes were commuted in 1839. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of St. David's, value with the rectory of Llanvair-Trelygen, £147, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Tyvriog."
"ABER, a village in the parish of Llandyfriog, hundred of Troedyraur, in the county of Cardigan, South Wales, 2 miles N.E. of Newcastle Emlyn. The river Teifi passes through it. This word Aber is Celtic, and signifies the "mouth of a river." In this sense it serves as a prefix to many ancient British names of places, as Aberdeen, "the mouth of the river Dee;" Aberbrothwick, now called Arbroath (in Scotland), "the mouth of the river Brothwick;" Abergavenny (in Wales), the confluence of the river Gavenny with the river Usk."
"ADPAR, (or Atpar), a town in the parish of Llandyfriog, in the hundred of Troedyraur, in the county of Cardigan, South Wales, 10 miles to the S.E. of Cardigan. It stands on the north bank of the river Teify, which is here crossed by a stone bridge connecting the town with Newcastle Emlyn. The town is a borough by prescription, and is now, with Newcastle Emlyn, contributory to Cardigan, in returning one member to parliament. Petty sessions are held here. There are markets every month for the sale of cattle. Adpar Hill is an elegant villa.
"PENDDOL, a village in the parish of Llandyfriog, county Cardigan, 2 miles E. by N. of Newcastle-in-Emlyn. It is situated on the river Teify."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018