Kelly's Directory - South Wales 1895


The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (November 2003) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
Place names are as written unless clearly misleading.


Is a parish and village in the county of Cardigan, pleasantly situated on the shores of Cardigan bay, and is 2 1/2  miles south-west from New Quay, 6 3/4 south-west from Aberayron, 15 north-west from Llandyssil station, and about the same distance from Newcastle Emlyn terminal station, both on the branch from Pencader junction of the Great Western railway, and 282 from London.

The parish includes the hamlets of Nantwernis, Llwyndafydd, Penbont and Talgareg, and is in Moyddyn hundred, Aberayron union, county court district and petty sessional division, and in the rural deanery of Glyn Aeron, archdeaconry of Cardigan and diocese of St. David's.

The church of St. Tysilio is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, transept, north porch and a tower containing 1 bell: the church was restored in 1890, and affords 200 sittings. The registers date from the year 1765. The living is a vicarage, tithe Rent-charge £313, average  £235, net income £184, in the gift of the Bishop of St. David's, and held since 1887 by the Rev. David Richards, Lic.Div. of St. David's College, Lampeter.

There are Baptist, Calvinistic Methodist, Independent and Unitarian chapels.

Henry, Earl of Richmond (afterwards Hen. VII.), is said to have passed one night at a farm, at Llwyndafydd, when on his way to Bosworth Field in Aug. 1485. At Caerwedros, as well as at other places in the neighbourhood, are remains of ancient camps.

The land is mostly held by small freeholders. The soil is clay; subsoil clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley, and some of the land is under pasturage. The area comprises 10,209 acres; rateable value, £3,504; the population in 1891 was 1,137.

Post & M. O. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, Llwyndafydd.---John Griffiths, sub-postmaster. Letters through Llandyssil are received at 10.30 a.m. & 12.30 p.m.; dispatched at 1 p.m. The nearest telegraph office is at New Quay

The parish is included in Llanarth United School Board District

Board Schools, for 250 children


  • Richards, Rev. David (vicar); Nantwernis


  • Griffiths, Mary (Mrs.), shopkeeper
  • Jones, Timothy, farmer; Cwmcynon
  • Lewis, Thomas, farmer & assistant overseer; Penrhiw
  • Lloyd, Daniel, grocer; Llwyndafydd

[Gareth Hicks: 14  November 2003]