Kelly's Directory - South Wales 1910
The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (October 2003) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
The general description extracted is a partly edited version, place names are as written.
Is an ecclesiastical parish .... formed by order in Council from the parish of Llandysilio Gogo, and is 8 miles from North Llandyssil station and the same north-east from Newcastle Emlyn terminal station, both on the Great Western railway, and 276 from London; it is in Moyddyn hundred, Aberayron union, county court district and petty sessional division, and in the rural deanery of Sub Aeron, archdeaconry of Cardigan and diocese of St David's. For all civil purposes it is included with Llandysilio Gogo.
The church of St Cynon is an ancient edifice of stone in the Early English style ......(it) affords 110 sittings. The register dates only from the year 1822, the earlier registers being lost. The living was constituted a rectory on 27 September 1859 ..... and held since 1906 by the Rev Thomas Lloyd L.Div of St David's College, Lampeter.
The mission church of St David's at Talgareg, erected in 1898, is a building of stone..........(it) affords 150 sittings.
There are Congregational and Unitarian chapels.
Henry, Earl of Richmond (afterwards Henry VII), is said to have camped here with his army when on his way to Bosworth Field in 1485, and to have worshipped in the church daily with his officers for a period of at least 6 months whilst waiting for his army and supplies from Pembrokeshire, where they had landed.
Two fairs are held here annually on Ascension Day and on Michaelmas Day respectively, and are generally large and well attended. These fairs are said to have had their origin in the custom which once prevailed of assembling here on Ascensiontide and Michaelmas for the purpose of public worship and the partaking of Holy Communion, in consequence of which the neighbouring farmers and others were wont to bring hither large supplies of provisions and other goods for the throngs of visitors.
Here is a well, or spring, noted for its purity, and formerly held to possess medicinal and curative properties.
The soil is gravel; subsoil, stone. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley and some under pasturage.
The area and rateable value included with Llandysilio Gogo; the population of the ecclesiastical parish in 1901 was 374.
Post/MOT Office, Talgareg --- John Evans, sub-postmaster
Wall Letter Box at Capel Cynon
This parish is included in the Aberayron school management
Clerk; Benjamin C Jones
Public Elementary School, Talgareg, built in 1876, enlarged in 1909, for 120 children, average attendance 72; Rees Davies, master
- Ashby, Liet-Col George Ashby CB
- Lloyd, Rev Thomas L.Div; Rectory
- Jones, Rev Edwin (Congregational); Arfryn house
- Davies, David, shopkeeper
- Evans, John, hand loom weaver & sub postmaster
- Griffiths, William, shopkeeper
- Herbert, Thomas Morgan, saddler
- Jones, James, shopkeeper
- Jones, Margaret (Mrs), shopkeeper
- Jones, May (Miss), shopkpr; Post bach
- Jones, Thomas; Glanyrafon Arms PH
- Lewis, Esther (Mrs), shopkeeper
- Lloyd, James, carpenter
- Rees, David, monumental mason
- Thomas, Thomas, tailor
- Williams, Thomas, miller (water)
- Davies, Benjamin; Pantycetris
- Davies, Evan; Crygyreryrisaf
- Davies, John; Wstrws, Capel Cynon
- Davies, Thomas; Pantswllt
- Evans, John; Darrenfawr
- Jones, Henry & Thos; Blaenglowonfawr
- Jones, Benjamin; Esger
- Jones, Evan; Llawrcwrt
- Jones, John; Capel Cynon
- Jones, John; Henbant
- Jones, Thomas; Crgyreryr
- Jones, Thomas; Pontbach
- Lewis Brothers; Blaenglowonfach
- Lewis, Mary (Mrs); Alltymaen
- Lloyd, David; Brebast
- Lloyd, John; Perthyronw
- Thomas, Evan; Fadfa
- Williams, John & David; Maespwll
[Gareth Hicks: 16 October 2003]