The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"LLANDISILIOGOGO, (Gogofau) a parish in the hundred of Moyddyn, county Cardigan, 7 miles S.W. of Aberayron, and 18 from Lampeter, its post town. It is situated on the western coast, near Cardigan Bay, and includes the villages of Capel Cynon and Penybont. This was formerly a possession of the Ap Harrys family. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of St. David's, value £303, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Tysilio, is an ancient edifice. It contains a screen, piscina, and an octagonal font. There is also the district church of Capel Cynon, a perpetual curacy, value £100, in the patronage of the bishop. Here are remains of ancient entrenchments. Cwm Tydwr is an old seat of the Tudors.
"CYNON CAPEL, a chapelry in the parish of Upper and Lower Llandisiliogogo, hundred of Moyddyn, in the county of Cardigan, South Wales, 10 miles to the S. of Aberaeron. It was at this place that the Earl of Richmond, afterwards Henry VII., encamped shortly before the decisive battle of Bosworth, in August, 1485. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of St. David's, value £75, in the patronage of the vicar."
"PENYBONT, a hamlet in the parish of Llandisiliogogo, hundred of Moyddyn, county Cardigan, 7 miles S.W. of Aber-Ayron. It is situated on the coast."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018