Llanfraed (St Ffraed), Tregroes, Llandysul (Church in Wales)
St Ffraed's Church,
Cardiganshire SA44 4NB
- The current (1858 build) St Ffraid's Church, photograph above, is in the hamlet of Tregroes
- The entry for this church on the National Monuments Record of Wales (NMRW) website (Coflein).
- It was originally one of six chapels of ease to Llandysul Parish Church, the six being; Llanffraed at Dyffryn Llynod, Tregroes; St. Sulfed, Pontshaen; St. Winifred near Castell Gwynionydd; Llanfair, near Llanfair Manor; Capel Dewi, near Gwarcoed-isaf; and Capel Borthyn, near Bryn Martin Farm.
- The entry for the old church on the National Monuments Record of Wales (NMRW) website (Coflein).
- The original church site can be found at grid ref SN40404598
- See p49 of "The Search for San Ffraid " A thesis submitted to the University of Wales Trinity Saint David by Jeanne Mehan
Quotations from the above ;
"Llanffraed (St. Bridget, St. Bride, Santes Ffraed), in a field named Cae Capel, ministered to the spiritual needs of a large part of the parish—Fforest Cerdin, Ffoshelig, and Dyffryn Llynod to Blaen Cerdin, Nantcwnstabl, and Gwarllwynoedos to the borders of Capel Cynon"
"The current church having been built in the nineteenth century in a different spot than the last church, and little remains to indicate the age or location of the old chapel.No trace of this original church remains except for the medieval font.The current church was built in 1858."
- This part extract from The History of the Parish of Llandyssul by Rev. W J Davies 1896, p 16, is from a chapter styled "Chapels under the Mother Church" ;
"Llanfraed; This chapel stood on Dyffryn-Llynod land in the Cerdin valley, in a field that is called at present "Cae'r Capel". It went under the name of Llanfran in the parish records of 1720, but if you look at Speed's map of 1610, the name there is "Llanfra". In a later map by Kitchen we get the name "Llanfrai". The belief is that the chapel was dedicated to St Ffraed, and was known locally as Saint Bridget or Saint Bride. .......(part extract) .......... the last to preach at the chapel was the Rev Thomas Griffiths, vicar of Llandyfriog ................the parish records reveal that the Rev Thomas Griffiths married David Davies, clerk, Llandyssul, and Sarah Lewis, on November 21st 1789, in this church. The two stone stiles of the graveyard are still there ...........The parish records do not state who was buried there ...........It was David Davies, Dyffryn Llynod ........who ploughed the graveyard, and his sons, Thomas, John, Dafydd and Evan, who buried the bones that they found in one pit near where the chancel used to be. " [The text does name people who were believed to be buried there]
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)