"LLANVAIR-TRÊLYGON (LLAN-VAIR-TRÊVHELYGEN), a parish in the hundred of TROEDYRAUR, county of CARDIGAN, SOUTH WALES, 3 1/2 miles (N. E.) from Newcastle -Emlyn, containing 124 inhabitants. This parish,which is situated in the southern part of the county, comprises but a small extent of arable and pasture land, which is in tolerable cultivation. The surrounding scenery is not distinguished by any peculiarity of features; and the adjacent country, though varied in appearance, is neither remarkable for picturesque beauty nor for objects of antiquarian interest, The living is a rectory not in charge, annexed to the vicarage of Llandyvriog, in the archdeaconry of Cardigan, and diocese of St.David's. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, having been suffered to fall into decay for want of due repair, is now in ruins. On the north side of the church, and at no great distance from it, is a circular tumulus surrounded by a moat, which is said to have been formerly used as a place of defence; but nothing is recorded of any event of historical importance with which it was connected. The acerage annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £27.11."
[From Samuel Lewis's A Topographical Dictionary of Wales 1833]
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Llandyfriog with Llanfair Trelygen from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Various items - on the People's Collection Wales site (under Llandyfriog)
- Digital copy of a black and white photograph showing an exterior view of Bryngwenith Independent Chapel, taken by Robert Scourfield, 1995.
- Digital copy of a black and white photograph showing an interior view of Bryngwenith Independent Chapel, taken by Robert Scourfield, 1995.
Church disused since the beginning of the C19. PR and BTs included in those of Llandyfriog. A marginal note in PR Llandyfriog M1813-37, p28, relating to a wedding on 16 June 1823 reads "NB, there was no marriage solemnised in the old ruins of Llanfair trefhelygen before today for twenty-five years back."
Bryngwenith Welsh Ind chapel
The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., by Jones, I.G. & Williams, D. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. These statistics for this parish or chapelry are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;
With the kind permission of the publisher, this extract is taken from "The History of Cardiganshire" by S R Meyrick, 1810, specifically the reprint of the 1907 imprint published by Stephen Collard in July 2000.
- "Llwyn Cadvor, is now the property of David Davies Esq., who is descended from Tydwal Glof."
The transcription of the section for Llanfair Trelygen from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Llanfair Trelygen to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Llanfair Trelygen has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Parish map (Kain/Oliver)
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN342434 (Lat/Lon: 52.064152, -4.419895), Llanfair Trelygen which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc within Llanfair Trelygen as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Gareth Hicks)
Here is an extract from The Reports of the Commissioners appointed to enquire into the state of Education in Wales. 1847