The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"LLANFIHANGEL-Y-CREUDDYN, (Upper and Lower) a parish in the hundred of Upper Ilar, county Cardigan, 7 miles S.E. of Aberystwith, its post town, and 10 N.W. of Tregaron. It is situated in a locality watered by the, three rivers Mynach, Rheidol, and Ystwith. Within a short distance of the village is the Devil's bridge and waterfall. There are several lead mines. The village, which is very considerable, is neatly built. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. David's, value £126, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. There is a Calvinistic Methodists' chapel. Hafod is the principal residence.
"CWMYSTWITH, a lead mine in the parish of Llanfihangel-y-Creuddyn, in the county of Cardigan, 4 miles S.E, of the Devil's Bridge."
"EGLWYS-NEWYDD, a chapelry in the parish of Llanfihangel-y-Creuddyn, hundred of Upper Ilar, county Cardigan. See Llanfihangel-Y-Croyddin."
"HAFOD, a seat in the parish of Llanfihangel-y-Creuddyn, hundred of Upper Ilar, county Cardigan, 12 miles S.E. of Aberystwith. This mansion, formerly a seat of the dukes of Newcastle, was burnt in 1807, but rebuilt by Mr. Johnes, who here printed his editions of Froissart, Monstrelet, &c. It stands in a fine spot near the Devil's Bridge and its falls, and is surrounded by an estate of 14,850 acres, which was reclaimed at the end of the last century, and planted with more than 2,000,000 of larch, oak, and other trees."
"PENTRE-BRUNANT, a hamlet in the parish of Llanfihangel-y-Creuddyn, county Cardigan, 2 miles from Eglwys Newydd. It is situated on the river Ystwith."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018