Llanfihangel Genau'r-Glyn


"LLANVIHANGEL GENEU'R GLYN (LLAN-VI-HANGEL-GENAU-Y-GLYN), a parish in the upper division of the hundred of GENEU'R GLYN, county of CARDIGAN, SOUTH WALES, 5 miles (N. E.) from Aberystwith, comprising the townships of Ceulan and Maesmawr, Cyvoeth y Brenhin, Cynnullmawr, Hênllys ,Scybor y Coed, and Tîrmynych, each of which supports its own poor, and containing 3576 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the shore of St.George's channel, is of considerable extent, and is watered by the rivers Lery, Ceulan , Maesmawr, Llyvnant, and Dyvi: the greater part of it is hilly, but that portion which is near the coast is rather flat...."
[From Samuel Lewis's A Topographical Dictionary of Wales 1833]



Llandre/Llanfihangel Genau'r Glyn (under Heritage/Projects) - This site has the MIs of both Old and New Llanfihangel Genau'r-glyn Churchyards (dud link 2/8/22)



The Benjamin Indexes
These are held at Ceredigion Archives who are prepared to carry out a reasonable search, they are transcripts (& indexes) of the census for Aberystwyth and North Cardiganshire, prepared by the late Mr.Benjamin, and deposited at various locations including that office. They are very good transcripts, and represent a massive amount of work - inevitably there are a few small mistakes, but they are generally useful and accurate. They cover the period 1841-1881 and include the parishes of Llanbadarn Fawr, Llanfihangel y Creuddyn, Llanfihangel Geneu'r-glyn, Llancynfelyn, (bits of ) Llanbadarn y Creuddyn, Lanychaearn, Llanafan and others.
Also, the 1891 census for Aberystwyth only has been transcribed by William Howells, the County Librarian, and is also available at Ceredigion Archives .



There are more than 30 churches identified in this place. Please click here for a complete list.

Church History

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

  • Henllys township
  • Llanfihangel Geneu'r Glyn Parish Church "There are two schoolrooms in the Parish which have been licensed by the Bishop for the purpose of performing Divine Service therein and this is done once in each every Sunday at 4 and 6 o'clock pm. Estimate number attending at each is 100 " John Jones, Vicar
  • Morfa'r Borth Chapel of Ease under Llanfihangel Geneu'r Glyn Parish Church Erected 'about 15 years' John James, Informant
  • Rhydmeirionydd (Anglican) Erected '15 years' John James, Informant
  • Ysgubor-y-coed township
  • Eglwysfach A Chapel of Ease built about two hundred years ago, rebuilt and enlarged 1834 John Davies, Curate
    This chapelry formed into a separate parish in 1855, see below under Church Records
  • Capel Edwyn Diocese of St David's Erected 1833 Usual number of attendants - 200 Informant; Thomas Jones (Appears in the Return under Machynlleth, MGY)
  • Are these two entries for the same place ?

Parish entry for Llanfihangel Geneu'r-Glyn from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).

  • St Michael & Talybont St David
  • Incumbent and Curates; Z M Davies (J Williams)
  • Rural Deanery of Llanbadarn Fawr
  • Acreage 19,280; Population 1,480

Parish entry for Eglwysfach from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).

  • St Michael
  • Incumbent and Curates; L Richards
  • Rural Deanery of Llanbadarn Fawr
  • Acreage 10,403; Population 347

    St Michael's church - photograph on Dyfed FHS

    St Michael's church, Eglwys-fach - photograph on Dyfed FHS

    St Matthew's church, Borth - photograph on Dyfed FHS

    St David, Talybont - photograph on Dyfed FHS (under Llangynfelyn)

    See also the Chapels database

    Various items    - on the People's Collection Wales site

    • Borth Chapel built 1831
    • A collection of images around St Matthews Church, Borth. 
    • St. Michael's church, Llandre, partly obscured by trees. Some houses are in the foreground. 
    • Bethel Chapel and cemetery [Talybont]
    • Bible class at Nazareth (CM), Tal-y-bont (Cer)
    • RCAHMW colour transparency showing an interior view of St Michael's Church, Eglwysfach

    Brown, Roger L. A Cardiganshire incumbent writes to his London relations [Lewis Evans, vicar of Llanfihangel Genau'r-Glyn 1805-35] (NLW's site) Ceredigion XIII

    Crefydd yn Nhalybont o'i Chychwyniad hyd diwedd, 1900. [Religion at Talybont from its Beginning Until its End, 1900]. Idris Press, 1900

    Enoch, Randall Evans OBE. Llanfihangel Genau'r Glyn - A Church History. Published by the author in June 2002, pp172


    Church Records

    "Earlier registers are known to have once been in existence, but, it is said, were taken away to Shrewsbury to be produced at some trial, and were never returned to the parish"[G Eyre Evans, Cardiganshire and Its Antiquities, 207].

    See Notes on Church/Chapel Records page

    Parish Register;
    Baptisms 1736-73, 1779-1979. Marriages 1736-1982[Banns 1823-1976]. Burials 1736-73, 1783-1927 NLW/Cer.RO
    Copy ts PR M 1735-1837 with index NLW/Cer.RO
    Bishops Transcripts;
    1675, 1680-3, 1686, 1688-9, 1692, 1699, 1702-3, 1811, 1813-15, 1823-74, 1876-80, 1882 NLW

    See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg for;-

    • Parish Church
    • Eglwys-fach

    I.G.I; Baptisms 1811-74. Marriages 1811-37

    Held at the NLW ;
    Records, 1869-1967, relating to the Congregational churches at Borth, Bow Street and Clarach.

    Eglwys-Fach chapelry;
    Baptisms 1774-1992. Marriages 1754-1837 [Banns 1824-1990]. Burials 1784-1993 NLW/Cer.RO
    Bishops Transcripts; 1813-69, 1877-8 NLW
    I.G.I; Baptisms 1813-69. Marriages 1813-36.
    Eglwys-Fach was formed into a separate parish out of Llanfihangel Genau'r-glyn in 1855. In 1814 the minister wrote "This chapel was built in the year 1623 and they say they baptised, married, and buried here since the said date.Therefore, the old registers have been lost here as in all other churches in the neighbourhood"[SD/Misc/873].

    Borth [a parish formed out of Llanfihangel Genau'r-Glyn]
    Baptisms 1913-93. Marriages 1887-1989. Burials 1892-1992 NLW/Cer.RO

    Tal-y-Bont [ a parish formed out of Llanfihangel Genau'r-Glyn]
    Baptisms 1922-92. Marriages 1911-70 NLW

    Index to Burials from Parish Registers 1813-1837 available for purchase from Cardiganshire Family History Society
    Volume 1: Genau'r Glyn Hundred. Parishes covered: Aberystwyth St Michael, Eglwys Fach, Llanbadarn Fawr, Llanfihangel Genau'r Glyn, Llangynfelyn, Ysbyty Cynfyn

    Nonconformist Chapels; see Chapels database


    Civil Registration

    North Wales BMD Births, Marriages and Deaths on the internet. Clwyd and Gwynedd Family History Societies, and Montgomeryshire Genealogical Society are collaborating with the local Registration Services to make the indexes to these records freely searchable via the Internet. Although the indexes are not yet complete for all years and districts, it is hoped that the database will eventually cover all North Wales births, marriages and deaths for the years 1837 to 1950.
    The database includes
    Machynlleth Registration District: Civil marriages 1838 to 1918 (3490 marriages) and this RD includes the following parishes; Machynlleth, Penegoes, Llanfihangel Genau'r Glyn (part), Tywyn, Llanwrin, Cemmaes, Darowen, Llanbrynmair


    Description & Travel

    The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., by Jones, I.G. & Williams, D. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. These statistics for this parish or chapelry are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;

    • Part [1[of Llanfihangel-Geneur-Glyn Parish consisting of the townships of Henllys, Cynnill-Mawr, Ceulan-y-Maes-Mawr, Cyfoeth-y-Brenin, and Tir-y-Mynach
    • Henllys Township
    • Area 5144 acres; Population 240 males, 219 females, total 459
    • Cynnill-Mawr Township
    • Area 3748 acres; Population 306 males, 309 females, total 615
    • Ceulan-y-Maes-Mawr Township
    • Area 7439 acres; Population 358 males, 349 females, total 707
    • Cyfoeth-y-Brenin Township
    • Area 2514 acres; Population 530 males, 672 females, total 1202
    • Tir-y-Mynach Township
    • Area 2716 acres; Population 162 males, 188 females, total 350
    • Part [2] of Llanfihangel-Geneur-Glyn Parish - Scybor-y-coed township included under Machynlleth sub district of Montgomeryshire in the 1851 census
    • Scybor-y-coed Township
    • Area 11264 acres; Population 295 males, 298 females, total 593

      Castell Gwallter and the village of Llandre [Llandre is a small village some 5 miles north of Aberystwyth. It is more properly named Llanfihangel Genau'r Glyn]

      Views of Borth;  On Ceredigion Archives/Catalogues with photographs, postcards

      Postcards of Taliesin, Talybont and the Rheidol valley; On Ceredigion Archives/Catalogues with photographs, postcards

       Photograph of Talybont by E. O. Jones,c. 1898. On Ceredigion Archives/Catalogues with photographs, postcards  (under  Miscellaneous images )

      Various items  - on the People's Collection Wales site

      • Various landscapes of Borth, also Talybont
      • Simon Hulmes' geography dissertation on Borth

      The Official Guide to Borth, Cardiganshire . Issued under the auspices of the Borth Electors' & Ratepayers' Association, etc.Cheltenham, 1934-

      Williams, JG. Bow St ---- origin if its name. Bye-Gones, 1871-73

      You can see pictures of Llanfihangel Genau'r-Glyn which are provided by:





      The transcription of the section for Llanfihangel Genau'r-Glyn from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.

      Description of Llanfihangel Genau'r-Glyn parish from Samuel Lewis's A Topographical Dictionary of Wales 1833

      Descriptions of Llanfihangel Genau'r-Glyn Townships from Samuel Lewis's A Topographical Dictionary of Wales 1833



      Cardiganshire Families - Eglwys Fach

      Cardiganshire Families - Llanfihangel Genau'r-Glyn

      Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

      • Neuaddfawr (Tal-y-bont) Family Papers 1843-1955 "Deeds, documents and business papers, 1843-1955, of the Evans family of Neuaddfawr and Rhydyronen, p. Llanfihangel Genau'r-glyn, together with....... an account book of Seion Independent Chapel in the township of Ceulan-a-Maesmor, 1857-1872."

      Held at Ceredigion Archives;

      • Letters sent to Talybont W.I. from members of the armed forces during the second world war.

      Davies, Ceredig. A Fatal Mining accident. Cardiganshire FHS journal, Vol3/2 June 2002. The story of William Edwards's accidental death at Bwlchglas Mine in 1893.

      Davies, Ceredig. A letter written by John David Lloyd to his daughter. Cardiganshire FHS journal, vol 3/2 Feb 2003. Centred on Talybont, gives an insight into life in a north Cardiganshire village before WWI.

      Kaznowski, Helen. The Hughes Family of Llanfihangel Geneu'Glyn and Llancynfelin. Cardiganshire FHS journal vol 2/5, June 2000.[see also vol 1/1]

      Kaznowski, Helen. Morris Reginald, Gentleman, 1606-1678: Sheep farmer in North Cardiganshire. Second Stages in Researching Welsh Ancestry. Edited by John & Sheila Rowlands. FFHS, 1999. ".......he lived all his life in the mountains of Llanfihangel Genau'r Glyn and Llangynfelyn."



      Various items  - on the People's Collection Wales site

      • Station Ambulance c.1950 (Borth) 
      • Borth Railway Station
      • The Coastal Heritage of Borth (115 items)
      • Borth storms 01/01/1927
      • Photograph of old painting showing Borth in the mid 19th Century
      • Images of Borth
      • Lerry Garage, Borth C. 1970's
      • Lion Hotel, Talybont 
      • Unusual early motorised transport in 1905. Mr F.Harris and his lady friend Emmy were photographed at Brynhyfryd, Talybont, with the first motorcycle to reach the district.
      • General view of the square, Talybont.
      • Four bulls in the river at Tal-y-bont bridge.
      • Cattle on the square in Talybont village.
      • Shop Invoice from S.M. Davies & Son, Talybont 1942

      Davies, Terry. Borth: A Seaborn Village, Gwasg Carreg Gwalch 2004. The seafaring history of Borth, lots of personal names, covers period to end of C19th.

      Earthquake at Borth. Bye-Gones, 1871-3 1

      Enoch, Randall Evans OBE. Llanfihangel Genau'r Glyn - The History of a Community March 2011. Copies may be purchased from: Roger Haggar (rogerhaggar at llandre.org.uk) Tel. 01970 820314; or Randall Enoch (wendall at blueyonder.co.uk) Tel. 01970 828328.
      This book is a secular history that complements that of the ecclesiastical parish - published in Llanfihangel Genau'r Glyn - A Church History - 2002

      Hughes, H Harold. Some deeds relating to Llanfihangel Genau'r Glyn and Llangynfelin. Arch Camb, 1917

      Meyrick, Sir Samuel Rush.(1783-1848) The History and Antiquities of the county of Cardigan. Collected from the few remaining documents which have escaped the ravages of time, as well as from actual observation. Longman: London ,1810. The history and antiquities of the County of Cardigan ... to which are now added a parliamentary history, list of High Sheriffs, some notes on the present county families, &c., &c. repr. Brecon: 1907. This 1907 print has now been reprinted. The section relating to this parish is on pages 319/30; ....also called Llavihangl al castell Gwalter. The church is a vicarage, the last 5 incumbents were 1712 Howel Penry, 1730 ---Gwynne of Lanlery, 1780 William Powell of Nanteos, 1800 Richard Lloyd of Abertrinant, 1805 Lewis Evans of Llanbadarn Fawr. Sections on Ynys Hir, Penpontbren, Rhoscellan, Glanvraed, and Eglwys Fach chapelry (also called Llanvihangel Capel Edwin)

      Rees, D Morgan. Industrial Archaeology in Cardiganshire. Ceredigion : Journal of the Cardiganshire Antiquarian Society. Vol V/2, 1965. Has a section re Eglwys Fach and Bryndyfi [Neuaddlwyd] Lead Mine and Furnace village .he Bryndyfi or Neuaddlwyd lead mine , about a mile to the SSE of the village of Furnace, was typical of many of the small ventures which came to nought..........The village of Furnace, in common with a number of others in Wales, received its name from an industrial process---smelting--- pursued , at various times, on the west bank of the river Einion ...'

      Thomas, Daniel. Dail yr Hydref sef adgofion am Dol-y-bont, Llanfihangel Genau'r-glyn a Rhos-y-gell [The Leaves of Autumn or Recollections about Dol-y-bont, Llanfihangel Genau'r-glyn and Rhos-y-gell] Denbigh, 1916


      Land & Property

      Colyer, R J. The enclosure and drainage of Cors Fochno (Borth Bog) (NLW's site) Ceredigion Vol VIII

      Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

      • Maesnewydd estate, records 1550-1969 "Deeds relating to the Maesnewydd estate in the parish of Llanfihangel Genau'r-glyn, together with account books, 1819-1969, and diaries, 19 cent., mainly of J. T. Morgan."

      Houses of Borth by Beryl Lewis consists of over 350 histories of individual buildings, lavishly illustrated with photographs, maps and documents. On Ceredigion Archives/Catalogues with photographs, postcards (under Other)

      Held at the NLW ;

      • Deeds deposited by Ithel W. Jones relating to the parishes of Llangynfelyn, Llanfihangel Genau'r-glyn and Llanbadarn Fawr, Cardiganshire, 1583-1772.
      • Deeds relating to the Morgan family of Maesnewydd, Llanfihangel Genau'r-glyn, and properties in Cardiganshire, Merionethshire and Montgomeryshire, 1550-1879.
      • Records of the family of Evans of Neuadd-fawr and Rhydyronnen, Llanfihangel Genau'r-glyn, Cardiganshire, 1843-1955.
      • Papers of the James family , Tynrhos, Llanfihangel Genau'r-glyn, Cardiganshire, 1753-1899
      • Neuadd-fawr. Deeds and documents of the Jones and Davys families relating to the Neuadd-fawr estate in Cardiganshire and Carmarthen , and the Dol-coed estate in Breconshire, 1554-1915.
      • Deeds donated by H. Harold Hughes relating to the parishes of Llanfihangel Genau'r-glyn, Llangynfelyn and Llanbadarn Fawr, Cardiganshire, 1577-1852.

      Various items  - on the People's Collection Wales site

      • Some history relating to the village of Llandre in the parish of Llanfihangel Genau'r Glyn. It give the history of the house names of the area, and where the names originate from. 
      • Information on work collected by Talybont, Cardiganshire branch of Merched y Wawr. It contains lists of houses in Talybont and Tre Taliesin. Also some field names in Tre Taliesin.


      Parish map (Kain/Oliver)

      You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN674910 (Lat/Lon: 52.501055, -3.955379), Llanfihangel Genau'r-Glyn which are provided by:


      Merchant Marine

      Borth, A Maritime History - Terry Davies's site

      Various items  - on the People's Collection Wales site

      • Mariners from Borth (who lost their lives in the Great War) 
      • Old sailors, Borth, c. 1885
      Davies, Terry. Borth: a Seaborn Village. Llanrwst, 2004

      Davies, Terry. Borth: A Maritime History. Llygad Gwalch Cyf (2009)

      Jenkins, David. A Borth shipwreck (NLW's site) Ceredigion, i 2 : 198-9 (1951)

      Recollections of a Master Mariner from Borth [ Thomas Davies]. Dyfed Family History Society journal August 1994, Vol 5, number 1, pages 16-21


      Military History

      Various items   - on the People's Collection Wales site

      • Edward Williams, Tanybryn, Llandre. Edward was the son of William and Catherine Williams. He worked as a Chauffeur at Llandre prior to the war, and enlisted at Aberystwyth into the Army Service Corps. Edward became a Driver with the MT Company, Army Service Corps, and was on home service in Kent when he took ill with pneumonia. Edward died at Canterbury Military Hospital on 8 November 1918. He was 23 years old, and is buried at Llanfihangel Genau’r-glyn (St. Michael) Churchyard Extension. Edward does not seem to be commemorated locally.
      •  Soldier's Small Book and its contents, belonging to Howard Lloyd Roberts of Borth, c.1914-18 
      • This is a twentieth century war memorial built in a prominent position overlooking Borth, above Craig yr Wylfa to the west of Upper Borth.
      • The Borth Monument Roll of Honour for Borth persons who died in WW1
      • The Damaged Borth Memorial that was struck my lightening
      • Collection of Evan S. Davies, Tal-y-bont’s demobilization documents
      • Annie M. Evans, Old Post Office, Tal-y-bont. 5th Rifle Brigade, 43879

      Names, Geographical

      Places, villages, farms etc within Llanfihangel Genau'r-glyn as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Lynne Kleingertner)

      • Ysgubor-y-coed (2); Allt-ddu, Anglers' Retreat, Artists Valley, Banc bwlch-y-gareg, Blaen-Einion, Bron-wfon, Brwyno, Brwyno-uchaf, Bwlch Corog, Bwlch-Einion, Cae-mardin, Cae-mawr, Caer-rhedyn, Cairn, Castell, Cefn Goch, Craig Cae-rhedyn, Cwm Einion, Cwm-rhaiadr-fach, Dol-goch, Dovey Bank, Dynyn, Eglwys fach, Esgair Ffraith, Foel Fawr, Furnace, Gareg, Glan Dyfi Castle, Gwaen-bwll, Hirarth, Llechwedd-einion, Llyn Conach, Llyn Dwfn, Llwyn-gwyn, llwyn-gwinau, Llyn C?, Llyn Pen-rhaiadr, Maes-y-cilyn, Moel Hyrddod, Moel-y-Llyn, Mynydd Du, Mynydd Coronwen, Neuadd-lwyd, New Pool, Old mine, Pemprys, Pencarreg-gopa, Pencreigiau'r Llan, Penrhyn-gerwin, Plas Ynys-hir, Pistyll y Llyn, Taren Tyn-y-garth, Ty'n-y-maen, Wenffrwd, Ynys Edwin, Ynys fach, Ynys greigiog, Ysgubor-y-coed, Ystrad Einion
      • Ceulan Maesmawr (3); Afon Lluest gota, Allt-goch-y-mynnydd, Bedd Taliesin, Blaen Ceulan, Blaennant, Bryn Gwyn, Bryn Mawr, Bwlch-y-gareg, Bryn-y-fedwen, Cae'r Arglywddes, Castell, Ceulanymaesmawr,Cwm-byr, Cwm Ceulan, Cwm-slaid, Cyneiniog, Dol-Rhyddlan, Esgair Fraith, Fron-Las, Fynach Fawr, Glan-yr-afon, Gwar-cwm-uchaf, Inn, Moel-fferm, Moel y Garn, Old Lead Mine, Plas pen y bontpren, Talybont, Ty-gwyn, Tynant, Wern-deg, Winllan.
      • Henllys (4); Aber-Leri, Allt-goch, Borth, Borth Sands, Bryn-llys, Camp, Foel-ynys Res, Geneu'rglynn, Glan-Leri, Golf Links, Great Western Railway, Henllys, Llwyn-glas, Llwyn-ysgubor-wen, Pant-y-dwn, Pentre-bach, Pen y bont, Pen-y-wern, Staylittle, Twyni Mawr, Ynys-fergi, Ynys-Las STA, Ynys Tachwed, Ynys-y-capel,
      • Cyfoeth-y-brenin (5); Abery-Ceira, Bryn-bwl, Bryn-bala, Bryn Hir, Castell Gwallter, Cil-olwg, Craig yr Wylfa, Ffos-y-grafel, Inn, Llanfihangel-geneu'r-glyn, Moel-cerni, Rhiwlas, Rhyd-meirionydd, Ruel, Ty-du, Ty'n-yr-helyg, Upper Borth, Wileirog
      • Cynnull-mawr (6); Argeod-fawr, Bryn gwyn mawr, Camp, Cwm-cau, Cynnull-mawr, Dolau, Dol-gau, Dol-y-bont, Elgar, Fagwyr, Ffynnon-wared, Glan-fred, Llandre STA, Lletty-llwyd, Maes-y-dogn, Maes-newydd, Mill, Mynydd-gorddu, Odyn-fach, Old Lead Mines, Pen Dinas, Pen-y-cwm, Pen-y-garn, Pen-y-wern, Pwll-glas, Rhyd-y-pennau, Tai-gwynion, Tyn-y-ffynnon, Ty'n y parc, Ty'n-rhos
      • Tir-y-mynach (7); Afon Stewy, Banc Lletty Evan-Hen, Bont-goch, Broginnin, Bryngwyn-mawr, Caer-gywydd, Cwrt, Lead Mine (Disused), Llanerch-clwydau, Llyn Craig-y-pistyll, Pen-y-cefn, Tirymynach, Troedrhiw-seiri, Tyn y cwm, Ty'r-banc


      Various items - on the People's Collection Wales site 

      • T Mathews Family Butcher Borth
      • Borth grocery and bakery shops.  Photograph of classic car, grocery shop and bakery.
      • Eliza, the baker's carrier, Tal-y-bont, c. 1885

      Boyns, R E. The Bryndyfi mine (NLW's site) Ceredigion, viii 2 : 210-16 (1977)

      Jenkins, J Geraint. Rural Industry in Cardiganshire. Ceredigion : Journal of the Cardiganshire Antiquarian Society, Vol VI, No 1, 1968.
      Has a section relating to this parish and the woollen industry ;- 'In the first decade of the C19 machinery for carding began to make an appearance in north Cardiganshire . Textile factories were established to meet the needs of the lead miners; Those in Tal-y-bont included; Lower Mill; Cwm Mill, Leri Mills [1809],Ceulan Mills [1860]; Pandy. In Borth was Dol-y-Bont [enumerated in 1895]. In Llandre was Glanfread or Forge Mill [1830-1930] '


      Public Records

      Held at Ceredigion Archives;

      • Ysgubor y Coed Community Council Records 1895-1988.


      Here is an extract from The Reports of the Commissioners appointed to enquire into the state of Education in Wales. 1847

      Samuel, David. Ysgol Llanfihangel Geneu'r Glyn . Cymru Vol 35 No VI 1894. pp. 277-284. Llanfihangel School Translated in 1998 by Randall Enoch. The original article is an account of the history of this school which operated from c1806 to 1870. It tells of the schoolmasters, who were in the main ordinands awaiting training, and scholars some of whom went on to Oxbridge and became well-known clergy and ministers. The old school building is still standing and is listed though it is now a private residence. This article is a unique and very valuable resource. It is in the NLW, copies available from the translator.

      Held at Ceredigion Archives;

      • School log book for Borth county primary school 1993-1996.

      Black and white photograph showing the plaque on the former National School, Borth, produced by Malcolm Seaborne, September 1989.  - on the People's Collection Wales site


      Social Life & Customs

      Various items  - on the People's Collection Wales site

      • Borth ladies 
      • Borth Golf Club, founded in 1885, is amongst the oldest in Wales.
      • Part of a collection from Mrs Fielding of Borth showing Borth gentleman.
      • Part of a photograph collection provided by Mrs Fielding of Borth of ladies from Borth in Welsh costume.
      • Part of a collection from Mrs Fielding of Borth showing Borth women's choir
      • Borth carnival
      • Theatre performance in Borth C.1966.
      • Old chararcters (Tifa and Bellman), Y Borth, c. 1885
      • Black Lion Hotel Tal-y-bont. .....Thomas Morgan in the driving seat of the first vehicle.
      • Donkey powered transport for some of the possessions of Dr Quick and his family, en route from Talybont railway station to his new residence at Brynhyfryd. c 1905
      • Women’s Land Army (Tal-y-bont). Note the saws in the hands of the women in the front row, and the chains wrapped around the waist of the women on the cart.
      • Tim Criced [cricket team] Tal-y-bont, Papur Pawb Medi 1985 + various other sports

      Briggs, Tess. Borth & Ynyslas Golf Club: Links with the Past. 2009 - charts its history from the 1870's to the present, illustrated with some photographs from the early C20th

      Lewis,G.J. The Demographic Structure of a Welsh Rural Village (NLW's site) [Bow Street] during the mid 19th century. Ceredigion: Journal of the Cardiganshire Antiquarian Society. . Vol V, No. 3 (1966)

      Llwyd , Hefin. Bwrlwm Sioe (A history of the Tal-y-bont show, 1886­96), bilingual, published in 1996 on the centenary of the show, by the Tal-y-Bont Show Committee. References to many local people, places and events over the 20th century