Kelly's Directory - South Wales 1895
The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (March 2004) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
Place names are as written unless clearly misleading.
Tal-y-bont is a village in the township of Ceulan-y-maesmawr, parish of Llanfihangel, Geneu'r-Glyn, and county of Cardigan, on the road to Machynlleth, 7 miles north from Aberystwyth, in the hundred of Geneu'r-Glyn, petty sessional division of Geneu'r-Glyn Upper, union and county court district of Aberystwyth, and in the rural deanery of Llanbadarnfawr, archdeaconry of Cardigan and diocese of St. David's. There is a small iron chapel of ease attached to the vicarage of Llanfihangel Geneu'r-glyn.
There are Calvinistic Methodist, Baptist and Independent chapels.
There are several woollen factories here.
The manor is vested in the Crown.
The soil of the township Ceulan-y-Maesmawr is clay, and the crops, barley and oats; the greater part, however, being under pasture.
Post, M. O. & T. O., S. B. Express Delivery & Annuity & Insurance Office. --- Thomas David Hughes, postmaster. (Railway Sub-Office. Letters should have R.S.O. Cardiganshire added). Letters arrive at 8.15 a.m.; dispatched, 5 p.m.; Sunday, arrive 11 a.m.; dispatched, 1.35 p.m
County Magistrates for Upper Geneu-'r-glyn Petty Sessional Division.
- Pryse, Sir Pryse bart. D.L. ; Gogerddan pk. Aberystwyth
- Davies, John Maurice esq.; Penpompren, Aberystwyth
- Francis, John esq. ; Wallog, Borth R.S.O
- Griffiths, Rev. James Martin; Llanfihangel Geneu-'r-glyn, Borth R.S.O
- Jones, William esq.; Brynowen, Borth
- Morgan, John Thomas esq.; Maesnewydd, Talybont R.S.O
- Pryse, Pryse Pryse esq.; Lodge park, Glandovey R.S.O
- Rowlands, Griffith esq. 19 Sherborne lane, London EC
- Thomas, David esq.; Pantyderri, Aberystwyth
- Williams, Col. George Griffiths M.A., D.L Ffynoncardog, Bow Street R.S.O
Clerk to the Magistrates, Wm. Hughes Jones, New st
Petty Sessions are held at the British school Aberystwyth, the first thursday in each month, at 11 a.m.
The following places are included in the Petty Sessional division:--- Broncastelan, Clarach, Cynillmawr, Ceulan-y-maesmawr, Cyfoethybrenin, Elerch, Henllys, Llancynfelin, Scubor-y-coed, Tirymynach.
A School Board of 5 members was formed 2 Oct. 1894, for Ceulan-y-Maesmawr; Edward Evans, clerk to the board; Richard Jones, Bow Street R.S.O., attendance officer
Board school (mixed), built in 1894, for 280 children; average attendance, 133; Daniel Jones, master
- Ashton, Thomas
- James, David
- Jones, Rev. Robert Evan (Independnt)
- Rees, Richard Henry; Woodlands
- Williams, Rev. Wm. Rees (curate)
- Davies, David & William, butchers
- Davies, Anne (Mrs.), painter
- Davies, David, builder
- Davies, Isaac, butcher
- Davies, John, mine agent
- Evans, David, woollen manufacturer
- Evans, Edward, grocer, & clerk to school board
- Griffiths, Thomas, tailor
- Griffiths, William, miller (water)
- Hughes, John, road surveyor
- Hughes, William, baker
- James, Richard, painter
- Jones, Edward, saddler
- Jones, Evan Davies, draper
- Jones, John David, relieving officer & registrar of births, deaths & marriages, Geneurglyn sub-district, Aberystwyth union
- Jones, Margaret (Miss), dress maker
- Jones, Richard, deputy registrar of births, deaths & marriages, Geneurglyn sub-dist. Aberystwyth union
- Jones, Richard, grocer
- Jones, William, weaver
- Lewis, Lewis, butcher
- Lloyd, John, boot maker
- Morgan, Margaret & Mary (Misses),woollen manufacturers
- Morgan, David, blacksmith
- Morgan, John; White Lion P.H
- Morgan, Lewis, boot maker
- Morgan, Thomas, boot maker
- Morris, Richard, woollen manufacturer
- Nelson, Nelson, grocer
- Reed, Ann (Mrs.), china dealer
- Williams, David, grocer
- Williams, John, fulling mill
- Williams, Richard, tailor
[Gareth Hicks: 3 March 2004]