Kelly's Directory - South Wales 1895


The data below has been extracted by Gareth Hicks (December 2003) with the kind permission of the publishers from the CD of the same title as the main heading. (Archive CD Books)
Place names are as written unless clearly misleading.

Llanfihangel Ystrad

Is a parish in the county of Cardigan, on the river Aeron, 7 1/2 miles from Lampeter, the nearest station, on the Manchester and Milford railway, 5 1/2 south-east from Aberayron, and 22 from Aberystwith, in the hundred of Moddyn, petty sessional division of Ilar Lower and Aberayron, county court district, and union of Aberayron, and in the rural deanery of Glyn Aeron, archdeaconry of Cardigan, and diocese of St. David's.

The church of St. Michael is a plain building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle and a turret with spire, containing 1 bell. The church was restored in 1878 at a cost of £1,500, and affords 250 sittings. The registers date from the year 1685. The living is a vicarage, tithe rent-charge £132; average £98, with glebe (£23), net income £142, in the gift of the bishop of St. David's, and held since 1867 by the Rev. Evan Morgan of St. David's College, Lampeter.

At Cribin, 4 miles distant, is a chapel of ease, erected in 1894.

There is also a Congregational chapel and two Unitarian chapels.

Captain Vaughan is the principal landowner. The soil is light and slatey; chief crops, wheat and oats.

The area is 7,649 acres; rateable value £4,118; the population in 1891 was 976.

Letters are received through Talsarn R.S.O. Cardiganshire at 9.15 a.m. & dispatched same time. The nearest post, money order & telegraph office is at Talsarn

A School Board of 7 members was formed 31 March, 1874; E. Evans, Rhydybont, Ciliau Aeron, clerk; David Price Jones, attendance officer

Board School (mixed), built for 180 children; average attendance, 171; Thomas Davies, master

Private Residents

  • Lewes, Col. Jn., D.L.,J.P. ; Llanlear
  • Morgan, Rev. Evan; Vicarage
  • Rawlins, Major-Gen. Alexander; Brynog


  • Davies, David, farmer; Lloydgack
  • Evans, Thomas, farmer; Greengrove
  • Howells, David, grocer
  • Jenkins, Jenkin, farmer; Llanwern
  • Lloyd, Thomas, blacksmith
  • Rees, John; Vale of Aeron P.H
  • Richards, Daniel; Brnog Arms P.H

[Gareth Hicks: 3 December 2003]