In 1868, the parish of Llanfihangel Ystrad contained the following places:
"LLANFIHANGEL-YSTRAD, a parish in the hundred of Moyddyn, county Cardigan, 6 miles S.E. of Aber-Ayron, and 5 from Lampeter, its post town. It is situated on the western bank of the river Ayron, and includes the township of Capel. The village is considerable. The tithes were commuted in 1839. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. David's, value £96, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is an ancient edifice, dedicated to St. Michael, and has an antique font. The Independents have a place of worship. In the neighbourhood are the remains of a Runic column."
"CAPEL, a village in the parish of Llanfihangel-Ystrad, hundred of Moyddyn, in the county of Cardigan, 6 miles to the S.E. of Aberaeron."
"YSTRAD, a hamlet in the parish of Llanfihangel-Ystrad, county Cardigan, 7 miles E. of Aberaeron. Here are situated the Cribyn Clottas dyke or trench, and Maes Mynach stone."