Open a form to report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Llangeitho - Extract from 'A Topographical Dictionary of Wales' by Samuel Lewis 1833

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Llangeitho - Extract from 'A Topographical Dictionary of Wales' by Samuel Lewis 1833

"LLANGEITHO (LLAN-GEITHO), a parish in the lower division of the hundred of PENARTH, county of CARDIGAN, SOUTH WALES, 8 1/2 miles (N. by E.) from Lampeter, containing 377 inhabitants. This parish is beautifully situated on the river Aêron by which it is bounded on the south, and comprehends an extensive tract of country, abounding with richly diversified scenery, combining almost every variety of rural and picturesque beauty. The village is sheltered nearly on all sides by hills of varied aspect, of which the declivities and summits are in some parts richly clothed with wood of luxuriant growth,and in others covered with verdure; and that part of it which is not shut in by the surrounding hills commands a fine prospect of the beautiful Vale of the Aeron.The ancient mansions of Glyn Aêron and Court Mawr, formerly the residences of families of distinction, are at present in the occupation of farmers. The lands are enclosed and in a good state of cultivation, and the soil is fertile and productive. Fairs are held on March 14th, May 7th, August 4th, October 9th, and the first Monday after November 12th. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry of Cardigan, and diocese of St.David's, rated in the king's books at £6, endowed with £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. The church, dedicated to St. Ceitho, and re-built in the year 1821 is a neat edifice, consisting of a nave and chancel, and is romantically situated on an isolated and richly wooded spot, separated from the village by the river Aêron: it is appropriately fitted up for the performance of divine service, but is not distinguished by any architectural details of importance. In the centre of the village is a large place of worship for Calvinistic Methodists. The Rev. Daniel Rowland was for some years rector of this parish, and was greatly esteemed as a popular preacher; but, from teaching particular tenets, he was suspended from the exercise of his pastoral functions, and became the founder of a sect called after him "Rowlandists," which is still numerous in this part of the principality : he died on the l0th of October, 1790, aged seventy-seven, and was interred in the churchyard of this parish : a plain stone monument to his memory is affixed to the wall of the church, on the outside. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £41.19."

[Gareth Hicks: 9 December 1999]