Hide

LLANCYNFELIN

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

In 1868, the parish of Llancynfelin contained the following places:

"LLANCYNFELIN, a parish in the hundred of Geneur Glynn, county Cardigan, 6 miles N.E. of Aberystwith, its post town. It is situated near the estuary of the river Dovey, or Dyfi, and includes the township of Tre Talyasin. The people are chiefly employed in the limestone and marble quarries, and coal pits. There are also iron and lead mines. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of St. David's, value £90. The church is a plain edifice, consisting simply of a nave, with porch and pointed arch. It is dedicated to St. Cynfelin, and is believed to occupy the site of one built in the 6th century. There are remains of an ancient carved screen."

"THE TALYASIN, a village in the parish of Llancynfelin, county Cardigan, 6 miles N.E. of Aberystwith."

 

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018